This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: What is your favorite go to meal...quick and you always have the ingredients?  (Read 5458 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
I'm talking about something that takes only 10 minutes or so, almost no prep, and you love it enough to eat it frequently.

Loanne

• View Profile
My all time favorite meal is simple.  Goat cheese with a few pecan pieces and some fruit.  Lately it's been cooked cranberries or blueberries.  I just love this and will go to this in a minute over fixing a big meal I'm too tired to face.  So, I try to cook on weekends, something that will get me thru the next week.

HungryinTN

Fried eggs (or an omelet with raw milk cheddar) and a side of sauerkraut.  Bacon if I have it.  I'm a breakfast-for-any-meal kind of girl.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
A soft boiled egg.

And great question Deanna! 

Randal

• View Profile
Sardines and mustard. Sardines are crazy with calcium (because of the bones), omega 3, and vitamin D. And of course protein.

Also egg salad (with celery). Eggs are nature's perfect snack / meal. And yes, I almost always have soft boiled eggs on hand.

Redhead65

• View Profile
Boiled eggs with a bit of good pesto

Sometimes I just fry a piece of salmon in the pan, take my Microplane grater with me and grate or cut up some fresh veggies in the office kitchen.

Janknitz

• View Profile
Omelet with green onions, mushrooms, and spinach.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
No wonder I'm having trouble. Almost everyone is using eggs. After eating eggs almost everyday during our first 3 years, I got so burned out that I could hardly eat them. I backed off and now I can eat them a few times a week. Our easy go-to meals/snacks are not wheat belly compliant: (1) a spoonful of peanut butter (not ideal) with a couple of cheese sticks or slices and a few olives; (2) the other one involves a corn tortilla or two, so I won't elaborate...don't want to give anyone any ideas for using a corn product. Loanne, I could do yours, but I don't think it would be enough to satisfy DH, plus we don't eat much fruit. I can hardly come up with 3 meals a day, especially when I only need 2...and maybe a tiny snack. I'm in a dilemma. I gave DH homemade bone broth soup for breakfast because he's sick and I had granola.

Randal, I wish I loved sardines.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Deanna,

I make 2-3 times my usual amount of veggies, fish or meat.  I refrigerate them and heat and eat it for at least 1 meal the next day or so.  Fishcakes cakes on salad material or veggies are within your 10 minute time frame.  Even leftover fish or canned tuna mixed with a bit of oil or mayo then covered with tomato/avocado slices which are then covered with cheese and then melted under the broiler…..your old tuna melt!

A veggie stir fry with beef, pork or chicken should take 10 minutes.  You can use ground meat or chicken instead of slicing it.  Coconut oil, coconut aminos
and the protein dredged in a small amount of potato starch is also quick.  Any Chinese recipe can be adapted to our way of eating.

Another easy meal is sliced cucumbers or zucchini with Italian dry salami (thinly sliced) and sliced cheese on top.  Open a jar of bruschetta and use that as a dip.  Add some canned olives,  celery sticks, etc.  The Italian charcuterie are dry aged, keep for a long time, are full flavored and usually sugar and chemical free. 

When you consider all the time you spend traveling to a restaurant or takeout place and waiting for your order to come you have used up far more time than the 10 minutes you allow.  Plus, you are most probably buying food which is prepared using all the ingredients we avoid because they made us sick in the first place.

Randal

• View Profile
Deanna,

Along the same lines as Barbara, I make a couple big meals a week. (And I'm lucky in that I don't need a lot of variety.) Every Sunday I make either meatballs or meatloaf. It typically takes me an hour of prep (an experienced cook would take less), but I get about 8 meals out of each batch. (An average of 7.5 minutes per meal.) So that's either my morning or afternoon snack at work (I typically eat at least 6 times a day), and Monday, Tuesday, and sometimes Wednesday, I'm finishing the previous week's batch. (So my morning snack might be meatballs, and the afternoon snack is meatloaf, which I always eat with raw sauerkraut.)

My other meals include scrambled eggs, tuna salad, egg salad, baked salmon, cold salmon, grilled steak, and a few other things. Again, I don't need a lot of variety.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
I make a couple of big meals a week too. That usually covers our main meal each day. We go out to eat twice a week. But I'm talking about...you've already fixed breakfast, you've fixed lunch or have leftovers (big meal, we usually have our big meal early to mid afternoon). Then it's dinnertime and you don't need anything heavy and you don't want to spend more time in the kitchen that day. Looking for things that are quick, easy, minimum cleanup, just a snack really. Barbara, I had forgotten about tuna melts. But sometimes we do tuna with cottage cheese or tomato, olives, or maybe celery sticks.

I've never liked to cook, but it was so easy when we first started this WOE because it was so delicious, I was searching out new recipes and I was so excited. I still search out recipes and try new things, but I'm just so tired of cooking and 3 meals a day feels so relentless...plus I'm seldom really hungry.

Linda R

I've never liked to cook, but it was so easy when we first started this WOE because it was so delicious, I was searching out new recipes and I was so excited. I still search out recipes and try new things, but I'm just so tired of cooking and 3 meals a day feels so relentless...plus I'm seldom really hungry.

Well, other than the advantage of having someone to shovel the damn snow off of my deck, walkway and car, this is is why I really have quit looking for a new hubby. 
One meal a day is plenty for me, just snacks otherwise.
My appetite has never been this much in control!

No husband would be able to survive on my caloric intake I'm sure!   ;) ;) ;)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile

Another go-to meal that I have that does not involve eggs is:

Organic full fat yogurt
w/ walnuts
tablespoon of hemp hearts
and a handful of organic berries.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
For that light supper, I like a soup made from bone broth.  I add any vegetable or meat I have and sometimes beans.  Lentil soup is good sometimes.  Pea soup too.  These are fast and easy.  Easy to freeze as well.  Sometimes I add good quality sausages to the soup or have something like cut up sausage and brussels sprouts.  Gourmet Girls Cooks has a wonderful recipe. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Rita, I've never had hemp hearts. How do they come? Your soups sound good Barbara. That's what we've been eating this week.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
My suggestion would have been quesadillas, but it looks like you may already do those.  Mark of MDA says tortillas processed with lime aren't all that bad, now and then.  So, my only offering is sympathy, to any one who is sick of eggs, sick of cooking, sick of meal planning and not hungry anyway: I feel the same way!![size=78%]  [/size]

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
OK, maybe I'm just going through a bad time. I have loved this WOE this whole time. I've not felt deprived...have not craved grain products...and I'm thankful for that. I guess I'm just tired of cooking and meal planning. Hopefully it'll get better again. I hope it does for you too Lynda.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Or...maybe I could get a cook :))

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Hemp hearts are actually hemp seeds......here's a good place to purchase.....

http://www.nuts.com/cookingbaking/seeds/hemp/organic.html

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
I've found spending some quality time in the kitchen every so often is essential, (at least for me)......sometimes making a whole day of it. Making tomato sauce, fermenting stuff, simmering bones, making meatloafs, cleaning shrimp and simmering the shells for bisque, etc......I've been known to have all four burners, the oven, the toaster oven, a crockpot and my turkey roaster going all at the same time. I freeze sauces, bone broth etc. in mason jars (they come in all sizes) and it provides variety for easy 'go-to' meals in the long run. Just put on some good music and have fun!

Or Deanna....maybe you could find a bag of wheat free 'husband chow'.... ;)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Jan,

Would Wheat Free Market Foods Granola be acceptable to you for your husband chow category?    :D :D :D

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Barbara, not DH's favorite, but I do keep the WFF granola on hand. We eat a small amount of it mixed with pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, coconut flakes, chia seeds and a few raisins. DH does not care for coconut milk, so we usually eat it with half 'n half...probably about once a week for breakfast. Thanks Jan for the info as well.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Deanna, I love the cook idea.  I guess, until I become rich, I need to fill the freezer like Jan suggested.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
This is crazy!!!!! (if you've been following this thread)

I have been STARVING the last 3 days. I am usually never hungry unless I've skipped a meal. I'm not craving anything...just gut-wrenchingly hungry. I've been sick, but wouldn't think that would be connected. It's been a bad time to be hungry because I especially didn't feel like cooking...and nothing sounds good...I just scraped by. DH fixed breakfast this mid morning and I was hungry by noon (scrambled eggs and ham, walnuts, coffee. Normally if I have even just 1 boiled egg and a few walnuts, sometimes I'm not hungry til 4:00-5:00 o'clock. I really didn't know what the hungry people were feeling.

Lila

• View Profile
Scrambled eggs & cheddar cheese. 

Lately, I've been absolutely starving when I wake up. I usually go to the gym at 5am and honestly after I've been exercising for 20-30 minutes I get simply lightheaded. It usually passes, but is a bit disconcerting. Don't know why it hits me so hard in the morning (except I've not been snacking after dinner, which is usually at 6 or 6:30pm).

I skipped lunch today and when I got home this afternoon I was famished. Grabbed a slice of gouda cheese and was OK until we decided to have a salad with a little bit of chicken.

But I ALWAYS have eggs and cheddar. When I don't have anything else quick to cook, they are my go-to.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Deanna,

I've had acid reflux for a long time.  The condition improved markedly after starting this WOE.  I had 2 relapses after being very aggravated by various events in my life  and needed to go back on my strict regimen (DGL, Manuka honey, Betaine HCL, PepzinGI, etc) to soothe the entire area.   I ate very little and just wasn't hungry.  As soon as the swelling went down and my digestive abilities went up, I became ravenously hungry!  With it, my enthusiasm to cook and EAT the delicious meals I prepared was remarkable.  Instead of picking at my food, waiting for the pain start and popping pills, I finished the plate of normal sized portions with no discomfort. 

From this experience I've had, my guess would be that your digestive tract has healed a great deal, making it work properly again.  Try to trace back what you have eaten and supplements you have taken in the past month or two that put you on this healing path.  Meanwhile, enjoy!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Could it be the cold weather is making us want to eat extra?  We are having a cold snap here (for FL anyway) and everyone I know wants to eat more than previously.  I have been ill and assumed I was just making up for lost meals but maybe not.

Wheat Free Forum

Sponsored Links