This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Bacon from the butcher makes such a difference!  (Read 3083 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Bacon from the butcher makes such a difference!
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
There's a butcher / deli counter at my local Whole Paycheck, I mean Whole Foods. I've been getting the ground meats for my meatloaf and meatballs there for the past few weeks. They have a huge selection of different cuts of meat.

I've only returned to eating bacon with breakfast maybe in the past year and a half. (Before then / before WB, I associated bacon with high fat, and fat is bad for you, right?) I had been buying the pre-packaged stuff, like Hormel, Oscar Meyer, and enjoying it.

Yesterday I picked up a pound of bacon from the butcher counter. Yes, it's considerably more expensive than the pre-packaged stuff (but oddly enough, about the same price here as I was paying for the pre-packed stuff in Silicon Valley).

I cooked three slices up this morning to eat with my scrambled eggs and avocado, and holy cow! The taste difference is significant. It's like the difference between a McDonald's burger and one you cook on a grill.

It sucks that quality foods cost so much more, but the difference is appreciable.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Bacon from the butcher makes such a difference!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
That's where I get my bacon too.   And yes… it's pretty darn good!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »
Hi Randal,

Quite right!  The taste is much better than the factory farmed stuff, whether is is bacon, meat, fish or fowl.  Properly raised animals provide delicious meals with limited spicing needed.  It is a shame we have to pay up for these foods, but when we do, we really are getting the nutrition we need without having to spend money on supplements or drugs. 

This entire food trend is catching on.  It is easier to find the grass fed dairy, meat and free range poultry/eggs now.  Two years ago, they weren't easily available and when they were, the cost was eye popping.  Now  prices have come down significantly in most cases.  Local farmers have reliable outlets to sell their products and usually are selling all they can produce so prices have lowered or at least stabilized.  For example, now I am finding that the cost of (pasture raised and properly fed pigs)  Shaller & Webber liverwursts has remained the same, but the liverwurst found in deli's have significantly gone up in price and are sometimes more expensive per pound for lesser quality.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
I agree, butcher and pastured meat is so much more flavorful.  I just wish we could get more of it but we do what we can.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »

Sponsored Links