This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Alcohol Guide from Bulletproof  (Read 4914 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Alcohol Guide from Bulletproof
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
I saw this interesting graphic on Food and Health Revolution:

http://foodandhealthrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/bulletproof-sprit.jpg

I tend not to follow Bulletproof, as I think the coffee deprives one of essential nutrients in place of breakfast, and that Dave Asprey has too much of a financial stake in what he advocates.

Vodka is my poison of choice, so I'm glad about that. I haven't had a beer in over a year and a half. But I'm surprised about red wine. I had always heard that it was good for you. I'll switch to white. Besides, I don't like the "I've been drinking red wine" lips you get.

HungryinTN

Re: Alcohol Guide from Bulletproof
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »
I made the switch to vodka a while back when I first saw the Bulletproof guide and I can say that when I deviate from it, I pay the price.  I love red wine, but it makes me feel terrible.  I can drink vodka all night (with club soda and fresh lime) and have basically zero hangover.  That said, when I drink more than one or two nights a week, it's not so much the hangover that causes trouble as the hormonal disturbance.  It always takes me at least three or four days to get my sleep schedule back in order, and I have a harder time functioning with little or poor sleep than with a hangover. Plus months when I've been drinking more often my cycle is usually off.  But Asprey's tips are definitely helpful for the occasional party night and I have found my reactions to different forms of alcohol to be pretty congruent with what he advocates. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
Since beginning WB, drinking alcohol of any type hasn't crossed my mind or been something I wanted.  Those times when I was young that I did drink was a bad experience for me (couldn't remember how I got home)...so I choose not to drink today.  Don't care for wine, but I do love gin.  But again, I just don't drink.  I do have BP coffee, however, in the morning, but WITH breakfast.  It isn't the only thing I have for a meal.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
Very interesting chart. Since I really prefer whiskey (bourbon, to be specific) and white wine, I'm closer to "bulletproof" than I would have thought. I did have a Bud Light while in Hawaii over the holidays--it was the first one I had in over a year and a half. I must admit that it was delicious. I have passed up many great craft beers in that year and a half.

I like my bulletproof coffee but usually drink it early in the morning just before going to the gym because I get light headed if I exercise for an hour before I eat something. But I have also had it WITH breakfast instead of AS breakfast. I gotta eat.

GatsbyGlen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »
Lol, I really think it depends on what vodka you drink. If you are drinking the $8 handles off the bottom of the CVS shelves, then you're in trouble :)

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »
Lol, I really think it depends on what vodka you drink. If you are drinking the $8 handles off the bottom of the CVS shelves, then you're in trouble :)

Ha!  Yeah...thankfully there's no liquor sold in drug stores in my state so we have to go to the big package store with a world of glorious choices. There are a couple of inexpensive potato vodkas available at most stores, and when I can spring for it I go for Ciroc, a grape-based vodka.  It's also the non-grain vodka that is offered at most restaurants around here. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:32 PM »
Randal,
What kind/dosage of glutathione and activated charcoal?

HungryinTN

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »
Here's a handy guide to pre-toxing:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/31/hangover.aspx. I've read before, but I can't find the specific article, that charcoal is only useful when drinking beer, wine, or sugary beverages,but won't do much against pure spirits. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »

Sponsored Links