This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Strength Training  (Read 1832 times)

Lila

• View Profile
Strength Training
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:35:01 PM »
I need to do some core strength training. My knees are a mess and squats & lunges are pretty much out of the question. I've tried to do planks but my feet (due to bunions and hammertoes) are just not flexible enough. Same thing for burpees--I just don't have the flexibility in my feet do do anything that requires being on my toes.

Does anybody have modifications that could help my poor old body develop some core muscles?

I'm doing great with interval cardio on the elliptical a la Mercola (well, as fast as I can do it). I just need to gain some strength in my body but am disadvantaged due to anatomy.

HungryinTN

Re: Strength Training
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »
You can modify a plank by doing it on your knees just like you would a push-up.  Planks are all fine and well, and I'm not sure I agree with Randall that they're a passing fad, but for those of us who aren't already in good shape, I think some good old-fashioned crunches are fine, if a little mind-numbing.  I also struggle with squats because I have basically zero cartilage in my knees and I'm rather top-heavy so it is difficult to maintain form.  I sometimes do hover squats while I watch tv.  Basically just lift yourself halfway to a standing position, hold for a few counts, stand all the way up, then sit back down.  Essentially just get up and down off the couch over and over again, but with a little extra control. When you are trying to build basic functional strength, rather than achieve optimum fitness, functional moves are a great way to go.  Balance training is also a great way to work the core and built some lower body strength. Just practice standing on one foot for extended periods of time to start, and as you get stronger add in some leg movements (extend the leg you aren't standing on in front of you and circle it around, that kind of thing).  If there is a trainer at your gym who specializes in therapeutic yoga or something close to it, try to get a few sessions.  A lot of moves taught in general yoga classes are difficult when you have mobility limitations like your feet and knees and it is hard for instructors to provide all of the possible modifications available.   

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »
Hungry, what you said about getting up and down from a seated position is exactly what my assistant dean told me about a good way to get started. The balance training is also something that looks good to start with. That's also something I can do while I'm watching TV in the evening.

I'd love to do burpees and I believe I could if my feet were flexible enough.

Love the suggestions and will look at the gym for the back extension machines. I do the ab crunches and shoulder machines (I have pins in my right proximal humerus from a bad break so this really helps with range of motion). I recently started some leg extensions that I hope will help with my knees.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll be working on it. Low and slow.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »
Here's a good core strengthening yoga sequence.....

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12990/a-yoga-sequence-to-work-your-core.html

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
Hi Jan,

These are very good exercises for strengthening your core.  I've done these as shown and several were adapted to do in a chair for those who could not get down on a mat (or up!) too easily.  Several of the exercises can be done on your bed instead of a mat on the floor if that helps.  Thanks for posting.  These really are wonderful.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »
These are great exercises, thanks for reminding me. They are very similar to the ones given by my spinal doctor for back pain/spasms from an old injury.  He said you can't cure back pain until you strengthen your abs.  He was right.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »

Sponsored Links