This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Crock pot  (Read 2779 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Crock pot
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »
I bought a crock pot because I wanted to make a lot of meals quickly and easily. Once a week I make meatloaf and meatballs, which are great and provide me with 6 - 8 meals for the next week. It's about an hour of prep, but I wanted something else for the snacks I eat at work and for on the go.

Today I made a lamb roast. It really was easy. I had expected the lamb meat to come from the torso, but the butcher told me it was from the leg. Anyhow, put the meat in, dump in some diced peppers, chiles, and tomatoes, then a bunch of seasonings. Put on low, come back in seven hours, and you have a lamb roast.

I normally don't like peppers and chiles, but the long low heat makes them soft and taste better. (Or maybe it's taking on the sauce of the meat.) And my whole place smells like the lamb roast (which isn't bad, because my place normally smells like steak.) But this looks like it'll get me a good 6 more meals.

I've got recipes for chili and pot roast; I need to find a Paleo beef stew recipe.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Crock pot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:44:19 AM »
Randal,

Bet you are VERY proud of yourself!   :)   You are sure on a roll!!!!

Check http://www.nomnompaleo.com for her Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy recipe.  Use the search engine to get the recipe.  This is a nice one because it shows step by step pictures and instructions.  Explore the web site for other wonderful recipes!
This recipe is a combination of other recipes which are highlighted so you can check them out.  Please note that any large chicken will do.  You can place the chicken BREAST side down in the crock pot for extra flavor.  Poultry seasoning can be used instead of the Sunny Paris Seasoning from Penzeys.  Even just garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper instead is fine.  Check http://www.penzeysspices.com for a store near you.  This is a wonderful and versatile spice combination that you can use on nearly anything,  Sunny Paris seasoning makes this recipe outstanding in my opinion.

You can use a regular blender or an immersion blender to puree' the thick gravy which is delicious on all foods, even on your meatloaf.  All of Michelle's recipes are delicious and not too complicated. 

Not to overwhelm you, but you might want to try http://www.judyrogersroastchicken.com recipe for roast chicken.  It is wonderful.  This is roasted in the oven, so there isn't any gravy, but it is a superb recipe and very easy.  You can used a whole chicken or parts. This was made famous in her Zuni Cafe.  She served it with a bread salad, but ignore that recipe!  Diamond crystal kosher salt has the best sized flakes for this recipe.  You can use it as a "finishing" salt  for your all your meats.  Some stores carry this brand in a sea salt.  The reason you use this salt is in the flake size and shape.  It does make a difference in many applications, especially to marinate the chicken or meat.  The grind is usually larger than what you would use in your salt shaker.

Also, most of the crockpot chicken recipes on the internet contain ingredients suitable for our way of eating. You might want to spend some time exploring.

Pasture raised, organic chickens are the best, but you might have to shop around for them.  If not, note that organic, no hormone/antibiotic chickens are next and supposedly are cage free, but may not spend much time pecking outside.  Hard to tell from the wrappers. 

Let us know how you do!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:08:30 AM »
Randal,

You can use the leftover chicken skin, bones, gizzard and neck to make a bone broth/soup in your crockpot.  You can freeze the these parts in your  freezer until you are ready to make the soup.broth.  Place the parts in your crockpot, add veggies like celery, carrots, onions, parsnips and fill the pot with water.  Add about 1 TBS apple cider vinegar or whatever vinegar you have.  Use any dry spices you want, like whole peppercorns and bay leaf.  Turn on low, cover and let cook at least 8 hours.  Strain out the veggies, skin and bones and discard.  You now have a chicken soup base!  You can add any fresh veggies, meatballs, chicken even beans to the soup.  You can freeze this as well. 

The cost of free range /organic chickens has skyrocketed recently.  This is supposed to be seasonal, but who really knows.  By making a soup out of the parts you would throw away, you are at least using every part of the chicken for good food.

You might want to freeze the chicken livers separately until you have enough small ones to make chopped chicken liver.  Just sayin'.

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »
Randal,

Bet you are VERY proud of yourself!   :)  You are sure on a roll!!!!

No kidding!
Randal, have I told you lately how totally impressed I am with you and your awesome cooking, food prep progress?

I bought a bag of free range chicken backs and bones from my Iowa Food Coop, about 5 pounds, divided them up between my 2 largest Crockpots, added some salt, vinegar and water to cover, and they have been simmering for two days.
My home smells awesome!

Today I turned them off, removed all the big chucks of meat and bone, then used a sieve to strain into large glass containers to
cool in the fridge.

Tomorrow I will have 20 cups or so of the richest, most awesome looking chicken broth for soups, stews, casseroles and just sipping.

I separated out the bones from the meat scraps, and I also now have many cups of cooked chicken for my "outdoor" four-legged feline visitor who comes by each AM around 9:00.

I am a Crockpot fanatic, have 5 in my cabinets, and love them!

So glad you have discovered them.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:27:56 AM »
I wish I had bought a crock pot 20 years ago. If there's any advice you would give a bachelor, it should be "buy a crock pot."

I'm heading out to Whole Paycheck in half an hour and this time I'm going to pick up beef for a pot roast.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
Randal.

If you have recipes calling for tomato paste, which is very common for crock pot recipes, you might take a look at the concentrated tomato paste that comes in a squeeze tube.  The small cans of tomato paste usually are much too much for a recipe and you wind up refrigerating it and then it gets moldy unless you use it up in 2-3 days.  The tubes are concentrated tomato paste and last a long time.  You refrigerate the unused portion once it is opened.  Tomato paste does not freeze well in my opinion.

Enjoy your beef!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »
I had some left over kalua pork roast in the freezer and this morning I cut up a head of cabbage and threw the pork and cabbage in the crock pot with some chicken stock I had in the freezer. When I got home, the house smelled wonderful and we had a delicious dinner.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
I LOVE NomNom Paleo's slow roast chicken.  I put the chicken under the broiler after it's done to brown it and crisp up the skin.  The gravy is FANTASTIC. 

I use an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) instead of a dedicated slow cooker.  It can also be used as a slow cooker, but the pressure cooker function is so useful I haven't tried it as a slow cooker yet.  This is truly fast.  I can pull frozen ingredients out of the freezer when I get home from work and have a hot dinner on the table in in less than an hour. 

I can put the ingredients for bone broth in the pot, press one button, and have bone broth in an hour.  It has a keep warm function, so I can also load the ingredients in the morning before work and come home to piping hot broth or other pressure cooked food.  It also steams--I make a dozen or so hard boiled eggs at a time in it and it's the BEST for artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower (hard veggies)! 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »

Sponsored Links