This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Jamie Oliver  (Read 2971 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Jamie Oliver
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:42:34 PM »
Plus he thinks more taxes are the solution to the diet problem that government caused:
dd: Celebrity Chef: “Sugar Can Destroy Lives and Should be Taxed Like Tobacco”

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
He cannot cook anyway.  8)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
Sure seems like he is just following the money trail. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:25 AM »
I actually don't have a problem if they make sugar pricing more dear, I use so little of it.  My DH would have a fit!  My gut instinct (pun intended) says we are looking for a simpIistic answer. We need to fix more than sweet things.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:31:39 AM »
I should have added that it wouldn't be a terrible place for people to start, if they wanted to improve their health

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:45 AM »
Lynda,

Taxing sugar isn't such a bad idea.  It would raise money for our perpetually broke states.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:40:50 AM »
re: It would raise money for our perpetually broke states

Which they would waste as they do now, and just be in deficit at a higher level.

As I said over on DD:
This [taxing sugar] would actually be less successful than the existing punitive taxes on alcohol and tobacco, and would have the same unintended side effects (due to rewarding a black market).
At least with booze and weed, the official government advice is that they might be bad for you. We have with sugar a more fundamental problem that the official diets actually promote grains that spike BG even faster than sucrose, as well as low fat diets that result in high carb diets.
And taxing foods to mold behavior presumes that the National Nannies get it right. Recall that in recent years it was also proposed to tax fats. Our current metabolic epidemic is largely due to clueless legislators making seriously defective guesses on nutrition.
A sugar tax would eventually result in the tragic spectacle of a petty criminal choking to death while resisting arrest for the heinous crime of selling an individual packet of sugar on a New York street.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
Boundless,

You forgot to mention the taxing of tea causing the unintended consequences of the Boston Tea Party and  our Revolution!   8)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
None of the addicts I have known, and know, have ever given up their favored addiction because it was expensive.  They preferred to let the family do without necessities.  I would rather the government would just be honest and say they want money.  As far as our health, they have less of a clue than I do, proven by the deplorable decline in the condition of the country. I looked at a bread label the other day and it read like a multi vitamin, people are being tricked into thinking the government knows what it's doing with grain recommendations. People's health would be even worse if it was just bread fixings alone.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »

Sponsored Links