This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: SBO Probiotics  (Read 7105 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
SBO Probiotics
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:42 AM »
Does anyone have any experience taking 'soil based organism' probiotics? Seems plausible.

http://www.magneticclay.com/store/prescript-assist-probiotic.aspx

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: SBO Probiotics
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:04:35 AM »
Jan,

I've taken an entire bottle of this.  It seems to be very good in that it provides batch of self replicating bacteria to your gut.  I felt energetic and my acid reflux /digestion was not troublesome.  Bowel movements were normal, although much darker as I recall. 

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that you should be taking different pre/probiotics while you transition to a grain-sugar free eating program and then occasionally to help with what seems to be a long term healing of all your cells and your intestinal lining.  If you are eating organic, free range, grass fed, wild and hormone/pesticide/antibiotic free foods, then they will provide the proper bacteria for a healthy body.  The store bought probiotics then would be an every once in a while boost of good bacteria, rather than a constant pill daily.  Life sometimes interferes and when we are very stressed or have been drinking alcohol, we most likely need that boost.  This Prescript Assist is a good one to take.

Another excellent one is Florastor which is a yeast based bacteria that neutralizes candida overgrowth and is good if you need to take an antibiotic or have a UTI.  There is a lactic acid based yeast product available which does the same as Florastor, but is less expensive.   

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »
I've been fascinated with soil based micro-organisms.  I'm particularly interested in vermicompost, as the worms get rid of all the "bad" micro organisms and make good ones.  The microbe population varies, as it depends on what is in the compost bin.   This may sound weird, but I try to really get my hands dirty when working with it, and eat something like an apple with my dirty hands.  :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
Me too Rita, I'm fascinated! My husband caught an intestinal bug that he can't seem to get over.....we've had more than our usual share of sick houseguests since the holidays so I'm putting him on an alternating course of both Prescript Assist and VSL3, along with B12 shots, bone broth etc. We normally do a course of VSL3 every 4 or 5 months, just because we think we should. The whole probiotic/prebiotic science is still so new....Even Dr. Davis said (WBTH) that it's largely a guessing game at this point. So now we're gonna go eat some dirt.....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »
Ladies,

Garden of Life brand Primal Defense Ultra Probiotics has earth based bacteria in it.  It is excellent quality.  Worth checking out before you grab your spoon and go into your garden.   :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
I took that 6-week gut microbiome class that Colorado University put on.   It focused on all the latest research.  Interesting stuff for sure.

I don't know if you read this, but here's a blog post I had written:  Our Amazing Microbes

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 06:29:29 AM »
An interesting view of the longterm effects of antibiotic usage.....

http://www.larabriden.com/how-antibiotics-cause-weight-gain/

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »
> So now we're gonna go eat some dirt.....

Ah yes, but does it need to be ancestral dirt?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »
Paleo dirt....ancestral edibles.....now there's a budding business opportunity! 8)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
Fecal transplants gaining momentum.....apparently Dr. P discusses this in his unreleased book.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3868025/

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »
Rita,

I just read your articles on microbes and pre and pro biopics - excellent information!  Will be reading some of the other posts as I have more time on my hands today than I've had in a long time - a luxury I'm enjoying tremendously (can you tell by my multiple posts today, haha - making up for lost time)

Anyway, I'm going to find a good probiotic, and then do some more research on the prebiotic topic, this one I haven't quite pinned down in my mind.  I did go out and buy the potato starch back when the topic came up, but haven't tried it yet.  Somehow just not very appetizing, but then again, if it helps my microbial village, then why not!

Here is something I came across, please to see my NOW brand right on top of the list.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/probiotics

What do you think of this list?  Which probiotics, if any - are you all taking?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 04:05:17 PM »
BarbinNC,

I don't think this is a good listing at all.   Your gut biome needs many different kinds of bacteria.  Most of these products provide the same bacteria, with cost per dose being important.  The important criteria is whether or not the bacteria is alive when you take the pill.  I've recently posted about Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics which is fermented 3 years.  There is a 5 year version as well.  This is an award winning formula based on fermented organic foods.  In my opinion, this is one of the best formulas available. The fermentation process makes the pre and probiotics highly absorbable.   It is ranked very low on your list, even though it is one of the few which contains that bifidobacterium infantis which is an excellent bacteria which we usually get from our Mothers during birth.  There are 11 other excellent strains in this brand as well.  VSL#3 is another good brand, not listed.  The key is to look for pre/probiotics which are alive, absorbable in you intestines and numerous different strains of bacteria, not just a few.

I've found that most of these kind of lists and rankings tend to be similar to those "infomercials".  You can't really trust them in my opinion.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Wheat Belly presently recommends VSL#3,  Garden of Life and RenewLife. Two of these are sold out of refrigerators. VSL ships in cold packs and only on specific weekdays due to that.

The vast majority of PBs on the market, sold from room temperature store shelves, are worthless - too few CFUs - of too few species and strains - most of which are already dead (the laughable "potency guaranteed at time of manufacture").

You want 50 billion CFUs of a long list of bugs, and potency guaranteed until expiration date.

Perlmutter's new "Brain Maker" book lists specific strains he recommends, but no particular products (unless I missed them), and it appears he just got out of the supplement business himself.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 11:04:51 PM »
@Boundless
That is interesting. I am looking forward to that book of  Dr. Perlmutter. In about 2 weeks I should have it.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 06:20:43 AM »
I'm taking a 4-hour class on the microbiome this Saturday with a molecular biologist.   If anyone has certain questions, I'll see if I can get them answered.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »
Barbara, I agree with you, too good to be true, that these dead microbes would be beneficial.  I had a feeling.  ::)   Definitely checking out what you recommend - thanks!

Boundless, thanks for the reminder of what Dr. Davis recommends, I did have that written down somewhere too many notes and couldn't find but will get something good, for sure, to get started.

And Rita, can't wait to hear all about that class - I am a bit envious and wish I was younger and had time and motivation to go back to school - I think it would be my dream job and what would fill me with passion - nutrition and healing.  Orthomolecular medicine and nutrition is just about the only thing that interests me lately, going back to Pfeiffer, Hoffer, Pauling, and Andrew Saul - all pioneers in my mind.

Thanks for sharing your learning with us! :)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
re: ... too good to be true, that these dead microbes would be beneficial.

Most of what's on the market are "no-biotics" or "amateur-biotics", but not probiotics.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
Very clever with words, you are Boundless.  8)

I am still researching which probiotic to purchase, and coming across all sorts of interesting blogs and articles, in the process.  It's slightly confusing, but I just need to decide on one and go with it.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
I am still researching which probiotic to purchase, and coming across all sorts of interesting blogs and articles, in the process.  It's slightly confusing, but I just need to decide on one and go with it.

It's also good to switch up your probiotics.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »

It's also good to switch up your probiotics.

That's a good point, and I might just get two or three different ones and switch them up!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »

Sponsored Links