This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Premio Italian Sausage  (Read 4574 times)

littlbit

• View Profile
Premio Italian Sausage
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »
My mom wants to buy a bulk pack of Premio Italian Sausage.  I told her I would have to check the ingredients first.  I found them and have attached below.  The carbs are on the low side, BUT I do see that it has corn syrup and dextrose.  Once again, a little confusing...would love to hear back.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Premio Italian Sausage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
Those of us who follow the WB way of eating AVOID any consumption of ALL GRAINS and their derivatives like corn syrup.  Dextrose is just another name for sugar.  We avoid that as well. 

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »
That is what I felt when I saw the ingredients but then I was surprised that the carb count was so low per link for the sausage.  Not sure why they feel they have to add sugar in the first place.  The salt would act as a preservative. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
Aside from the added ingredients, the pork was likely CAFO raised, fed GMO corn/soy along with healthy doses of glyphosate, perhaps even given antibiotics too.....not the best choice.

Check Applegate and Organic Prairie brands....while not ideal, they are 'cleaner' options....or better yet, make your own.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I will let her know today that I won't be joining her in the bulk purchase.  I have tried to get her on board with some stuff, but she is 91 years old and pretty much has a mind set.

I am slowly getting into making a lot of my own food from scratch anyway, so I will be adding sausage to the list of my future projects.   :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »
If your mother is 91, and still getting around pretty good, then that sausage link is certainly not going to do her in! 8)

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:04:10 AM »
You are right Jan - every time I try to get her to make some healthy changes, her response is "I have gotten this far eating how I do"..."not going to make changes now".  I guess I can't argue with that.  I'll keep plugging along.  Lost 8 lbs within the first month and then dropped another pound yesterday...WOO HOO.  Slowly but surely.   8)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:04:10 AM »

Sponsored Links