This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Avocados for Bananas  (Read 1145 times)

Loanne

• View Profile
Avocados for Bananas
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
I was just thinking that making banana bread might be good if I substituted avocados for bananas, and added banana flavoring, plus the usual spices and walnuts.  Any thoughts that this might work?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Avocados for Bananas
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
What is the banana flavoring?   (I'm always concerned about additives.)

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:33:14 PM »
I would not be keen on using flavoring.

Do I get this right that you want to use the Avocados to substitute the bananas? I do not know how Avocados react under heat, but some sources in German say that you had better not expose avocados to the boiling point. If you just look for an alternative, you can use grated zuchini or squash. The taste in the dough is pretty neutral, and you could then use cinnamon or something else - natural - to add flavor, depending on what you want. And while you wait for your bread to bake, you eat an avocado.  8)

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
After surfiing the internet, I've discovered that avocado can be substituted for bananas, although I'll have to up my sweetener, so I'll try it this weekend.  Not so concerned by my extracts as I am keeping blood sugar down.  I'll go to the recipe calculator site and redo the ingredients to see how many carbs per slice.  Pumpkin can also be substituted, but again the carb load would be higher, as with bananas.  I'll see!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »

Sponsored Links