This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Pasture raised eggs in your supermarket  (Read 3218 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Pasture raised eggs in your supermarket
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
I saw a very charming ad about an egg company which raises hens so they can roam, play, climb, forage and spread their wings.  The philosophy is that happy contented hens produce the tastiest eggs.  Their vegetarian feed compliments their pasture forage diet.  Antibiotic and hormone free.  I followed up on this and found they are sold in a local supermarket.  They are raised in the Ozark woodlands in Arkansas and Missouri. They allow 14' space per hen. http://www.thehappyeggco.com for more information.

Linda R

Re: Pasture raised eggs in your supermarket
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
Awesome!
The hens look like Rhode Island Reds, the same breed my dad raised back home, when I was a kid, in rural Massachusetts.

The movement is really growing and it is so darn great to see, isn't it?

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:53:12 PM »
This is so neat!  I buy the eggs that have 'cage free' on the box...I forget the brand.  But I've gotten some at our local Co-op that are from farm-raised hens that have deeper yellow/orange yolks.  Makes me wonder what the 'cage free' hens get!?  I'd love to have a place where I could raise chickens...I'm definitely not into killing them ("harvest" is a new word I've noticed that probably replaces "slaughter.")  So, living with me would be their lifetime of laying eggs, and having fun!  Sounds like a good plan, doesn't it?  :)

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:15 PM »
We have these eggs in the organic supermarket too. 6 eggs 3.80 Euros.
Some farmers sell 10 eggs for that price, but then I have to do some driving. I know that good quality costs money. When the roads are no longer icy, I want to drive to one of those farms.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:31:46 PM »
I don't understand the "vegetarian fed" poultry fad.
Chickens will eat just about any bug they can get
their beaks on.  They'll eat lizards and frogs, too.
They'll even eat each other and other hapless
animals.

I'm not so sure grains are the best nutrition for them.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 04:08:51 AM »
Bill,

That is exactly the point!  The website describes the vegetarian grain as a supplement to the diet of critters found outside, not the main food they eat.  The caged factory hens only get grains for food. 

Too often the cage free label just means the chickens are free to roam the huge hen house with very little access, if any, to the outside.  Here in NJ, we have many brands with these labels.  This is just an advertising gimmick for the same old factory eggs.  Then there are the organic, pesticide and antibiotic free eggs from chickens that are free roaming in their hen house with access to the outside, entering and leaving their nests at will.  This usually means that there is a small hatch opening with few hens actually going outside to a bare ground or even a concrete slab.  I emailed the company and all they said was their chickens are free to go outside if they choose.  Clever dodge.

My point in listing this brand is that they actually say they raise their hens outside in a pasture.  No gimmicks.  Available in your supermarket.  This is convenient and easy. We don't have to make a special trip to a distant farm store to buy these eggs. Our way of eating is sure catching on.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »
Loved the egg videos! In Key West, we have a huge population of free-roaming chickens living on the island.....they walk down the streets, live in trees and bushes, have babies, eat geckos, bugs, worms, spiders, rocks, scorpions....no one feeds them and they're quite healthy and far from being vegetarians. (To date, I have never found any eggs lying around so they're good at hiding them!)

An organic chicken farm in Pine Key supplies our local health food store with eggs.....the most recent shipment contained green-shelled eggs and when I inquired, they indicated they were from black feathered chickens. That's a new one for me!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »
What is "vegetarian grain"?

I went to "our farms" on this site to see if I could find out a bit more about locations (since they're in Arkansas), but I got distracted when I read: "The Ozark Woodlands also have an abundant fresh water supply and happen to be closer to the grain fields where we source ingredients for our hens' feed.
[/size][/color]
[/size]What kind of grain fields? What kind of grains are they getting?[/color]

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
Deanna,

Why don't you email them with those excellent questions?  Seems that they use the grains only as a supplement to the regular outdoor diet.  But then again, who knows? ???  The hens must be healthy enough if no antibiotics are needed.  At least this is the first brand of eggs that even comes close to what we want to eat and these are available in a supermarket.  Supposedly the free range hens lay eggs that have double to triple amount of the nutrition that factory farmed eggs provide. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
Oh Boy!  Competition!  There is another company selling eggs we want to eat in the supermarket!  NestFresh non GMO verified free range large eggs.  These are given vegetarian non GMO feed (organic, less than 1.5% contamination from GMO and verified humanely raised).  They have slightly different varieties and can be found in Whole Foods as well.  This company started in Colorado and is now nationwide. They inspect farms before signing them up for regional/local distribution.  The package does not specify where the eggs come from.   http://www.NestFresh.com for more information.

Seems that all chickens are fed grains.  At least this company is has participated in the non-gmo project and meets their standards. 

2 years ago I inquired at all the 9 local supermarkets if they carried eggs from free-range chickens.  The employees, even at Whole Foods looked at me as if I was speaking ancient Greek instead of English.  Now I even have a choice!!! 8)

Linda R

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »
Well, perhaps a few egg and other producers will see this and take it seriously.
They ARE listening to us.

https://infogr.am/total_sales_of_products_with_non_gmo_project_labels_in_billions

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
Linda,

They ARE listening to us!  Sales of non gmo products nearly tripled in 1 year!  Actual sales according to the chart you posted.  We walked with our pocketbooks and they followed the money we spent.  We bought $8.5 billion worth in 2014.  This figure will keep growing as more people discover how well they can feel by eating fresh, chemical free, unmodified foods. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »
Those numbers are impressive. If I were a motivated, forward-thinking, young thing just out of college....I think I would entertain a business in the certification realm....especially those with enviromental degrees. But I'm way too old to start over.....

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »

Sponsored Links