This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Fermenting Foods  (Read 3007 times)

Loanne

• View Profile
Fermenting Foods
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »
I was looking at my current (and first) batch of fermenting veggies this morning.  I was pretty put off by the smell...almost rotten.  Is this normal?  I was reading prior posts on fermentation, and someone indicated not to add cabbage to the batch, which I did.  I started this on Sunday, 2/8/15.  Not sure what to do with this, if anything.  I might just stick with eating raw potato in the morning...two little new potatoes, peeled, suit me fine!  :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Fermenting Foods
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
Here is a fermenting system that's worked well for me....plus the site's owner is available via phone or email for advice/questions and I've had plenty!

http://www.pickl-it.com

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
Thanks, Jan!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »
I tried fermenting a few months ago. I ended up throwing it out. One container was for sourkraut. I think the other was cauli...can't remember for sure, but both of them just got gnarly looking. I didn't have special containers...just very big jars.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:01:36 AM »
I do not get into fermenting foods, because where I live, fermenting and Sauerkraut are a tradition, and a lot of small-scale farmers sell their homemade Sauerkraut at the market. For me it is not worth the hassle and particularly the smell.
My deceased former neighbour used to make Sauerkraut, and the whole house (6 parties) used to smell like rotten food. Another neighbour ate his Sauerkraut regularly, and she said it was excellent, but for me it is more pain than gain.  ;)

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »
I threw out the crock full of stuff that was indeed bad, but got another system.  I'm using two gallon jars with a plastic screw-on lid t hat has a little glass top thing...I'm reading that it takes awhile to ferment veggies, like a month, and it's only been since this past Sunday, and I don't see anything happening in there yet.  Maybe I should order more top parts and get more jars going.  Can't get too much in one, even a gallon size, since there has to be room for the weight at the top (a ziplock bag with the brine in it).  Not big on sauerkraut right now, but maybe later.  Now it's just a mix of veggies...celery, red bell pepper, cucumber, carrot slices, a couple of onion slices, and a healthy slice of jalopeno.  Got a book for beginners that explains it in more detail.  Looking forward to this more than bone broth.  I couldn't get into that very much. But my digestive system is still kind of iffy, so am looking forward to these fermented foods.  Doing probiotics and small new potatoes, 2 each day.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
I haven't read all the posts here on fermentation and maybe this has already been touched on, but I was just curious...I read something recently that one has to purchase a specific culture in order to ferment veggies, that salt brine wouldn't have all the right enzymes/bacteria (whatever).  Salt brine isn't good enough?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
Loanne-  here is a good video by Sandor Katz.   You don't need to purchase any cultures:

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
Thanks for the video!  And in snooping around the web for fermentation information, I went to Sandor Katz' site...great!!  I'm 2 weeks into my first "ferment" and am so excited!  I have a quart and half gallon jar going, with a mix of veggies, not cabbage though.  My digestive tract needs help, so I'm anxiously awaiting my first batch!  Maybe I should get another pickl-it jar and start a second batch going, so I don't run out!!   :D   Thanks again, Rita!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
I have the pickle-it jars too.  They do make fermenting a lot easier.

Suzy in Colorado

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 06:05:49 PM »
I will have to try this...looks easy and healthy!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 06:05:49 PM »

Sponsored Links