This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Dairy  (Read 6191 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Dairy
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »
Like wheat, some people have different intolerences to dairy.

Some people are lactose intolerant, while others can't handle the casein protein.

I know dairy products vary in amounts, so I thought I'd see which dairy was high in lactose, and which dairy was high in casein.

I found this article on lactose that says:

Untreated milk, either plain or flavored, has 11-15 grams of lactose in a one-cup serving. Fermented milk products such as yogurt and kefir have slightly less lactose because the bacteria in those products break down some of the lactose.

Hard cheeses, which have the whey drained off during processing, have just a few grams of lactose per serving, and are allowed in limited quantities on the basic diet. Sour cream and butter have only a trace of lactose.

Lactaid-brand milk and milk products have been pre-treated with the enzyme lactase. The enzyme breaks lactose down to its simple sugars, and the resulting products are 100 percent lactose free. This brand is widely available in grocery stores in the United States and Canada. Other brands of lactose-free milk and milk products may be available in your area, as well.

Then with regards to casein, there is an interesting topic with regards to the breed of cows your milk products come from.  There is a Beta-casien A1 and A2.   Supposedly, A1 gives humans trouble, while A2 does not.   So people really into health are wanting to buy raw A2 milk or cheese.  The A2 usually comes from dairy cows in Europe, so Dutch, Swiss, French and Italian cheeses they say are best.

Then here is a good article on Mark's Daily Apple on dairy that is worth reading as well:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/#axzz2UAzWyUdh

At the end of his article, he says:
Goat dairy is another option, with more fat (that’s never homogenized, even when pasteurized), less casein, less lactose, and fewer digestive issues. Structurally and nutritionally, goat milk is one of the closer corollaries to human breast milk, making it arguably more suitable for human consumption than cow’s milk.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Dairy
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
My grandson just turned one and up until now, he had been breastfed.  Their pediatrician (Vancouver, Washington) put him directly on goats milk, circumventing cow's milk entirely.  She's also given them a list of foods that MUST be organic as well as a short list of foods that don't need to be. They are into the WB lifestyle so there is hope that we may have a generation of the unaffected.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
My granddaughter did the same thing with her baby. She breastfed and then switched to goats milk. Her pediatrician was actually all for it. Progress!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »
This is an interesting dairy link.....

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/dairy/

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »
Jan, I skimmed over the article and have bookmarked it to get back to. So, have you eliminated all dairy from your diet? I am trying to, with the exception of butter. Just watched Loren Cordain on youtube, and he certainly thinks it is unhealthy, to put it mildly. I would love to soak everything in Vermont Cabot cheddar, but I am taking myself off of it to see what it is doing to me!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 06:13:51 AM »
Lyra....I can't say that I've eliminated all dairy but I've never been a milk drinker/cereal etc. I do eat hard cheese sometimes, and use ghee.....and like whole-milk mozzarella on my caprese  salads.....so that probably boils down to a few times per week.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:02:53 AM »
So, I have exactly one full day off of dairy entirely. That is hard for me. I will try to stay with it a few weeks and see if it helps me at all to omit it from my diet. I still have one swollen joint on my finger that I stare at quite often!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 07:49:27 AM »
@lyra -   I feel just as amazing going off cow dairy as I did wheat.  I've added goat milk and goat yogurt and that seems to really work for me.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
This  could be posted under this thread or ketones.....while Dr. Oz does not seem to be too popular on this site, just disregard his endorsement!

http://fitwarranty.com/ketopet/Dolittle/?p=1673
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:25:33 PM by Rita »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 06:17:52 AM »
Hemp milk tastes OK.  I like it

I have been trying to find a local source of Certified Raw Milk products.  Cows milk is much healthier for you when it isn't pasteurized because the heat changes everything.  We can absorb and utilize the nutrients much better.  I am not an expert on this, but I know that the dairy products made from certified raw milk are delicious and taste creamier and smoother than even organic products.  The lactose and casein is readily digestible for many, if not most, people who thought they couldn't eat dairy products. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:09:43 AM by Rita »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:33:11 AM »
Yes, I would love to find a source of raw milk. Also, I would use some of the hemp milk or coconut milk or almond milk in the stores, but they are all filled with additives.

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »
Jan, you can use ghee liberately, because dr. D said in his blog that ghee doesn't count as a dairy product. I've asked him the question and he answered:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/07/wheat-belly-frequently-asked-questions/comment-page-5/#comments

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »
By the way, what product would you choose if you had the choice? In my grocery I can choose between 2 yogourts, and I'm not sure which one is the best:

1- 2% fat natural yogourt, 5grams of carbs each portion

2- 10% fat natural yogourt but 10grams of carbs each portion

I have to choose between more carbs or more fat..... Which one do you think is a better choice?

http://www.liberte.ca/en/grec-yogurt-products/liberte_greek_2__plain.sn

http://www.liberte.ca/en/yogurt-mediterranee-products/mediterranee_plain__yogurt.sn

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Annie....Yes, I use ghee quite a bit, I like to sauté in it when not using coconut oil and alternate it with olive oil on my veggies for a more buttery flavor. As far as the yogurt goes, I stopped eating it when I kept hearing that the probiotic content (unless homemade) was virtually nonexistent....that's a hard one!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
Annie, you could go with the lower carb yogurt and get more fat somewhere else ???

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
Thanks Deanna, it confirms what I tough....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
Today I found a local food coop that sells "low temperature pasteurization" organic, pastured,etc. milk.  The temperature of pasteurizing this milk does not go above 145*F and supposedly the "good" enzymes are left intact, making the milk easily digestible and providing all the necessary nutrients.  Does anyone have any opinion or more information on this?

I can't find certified raw milk anywhere, but this low temperature pasteurization sounds promising.  I do know that heavy cream that has been "ultra pasteurized" is not the best for using in any recipe.  This heavy cream has been boiled, providing a product that has little nutrition.  So, here we go again with wondering whether or not a healthier cows milk can be obtained.

I just returned from a supermarket with a large organic selection of dairy products.  I was shocked that they carried about 5 brands and all were marked "ultra pasteurized" which means they were boiled higher than 280*F and all had use by dates into mid October!  How can this milk possible be healthy for you?  Shelf life of 6-7 weeks?  No wonder so many people find it hard to digest.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:04:05 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »
I stayed off all dairy for more than a month and then tried to re-introduce yogurt into my diet. I cannot tolerate it, apparently. my joints in my hands began to ache again, a problem which had resolved off the dairy, and it gave me digestive issues. I will have to keep away from it. No yogurt, no cheese. I have been substituting with coconut milk thickened with Great Lakes gelatin and sweetened with a bit of Stevia, then chilled into a pudding.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »

Sponsored Links