This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: No barfing!  (Read 5629 times)

Linda R

No barfing!
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
I live with 2 feline buddies. TayTay is at least 10 yo, came from a no-kill shelter, and, other than a very occasional hair ball, is not a barfer.

Harley was abandoned in the street near my house as a very tiny kitten, I adopted him and he's been my guy ever since. Once he became an adult, the barfing began, and needless to say, I had tried all brands of cat food. [They both prefer the dry type.] I tried all the Purinas, Meow Mix, Friskies, Iams and Rachael Ray's newest addition to the cat food market, with crappy results. I was never sure if he simply ate too much, or too fast, or what. Since he became the dominant male soon after he arrived, I didn't feel it was a power struggle.

Then, about 2 months ago, when shopping for cat food, I saw a new item on the shelf from Purina called "Beyond", and in bold lettering it declared GRAIN FREE.

Well, what do you know.....................

Bought a bag, tried it out on Harley first, and when the other cat food was gone, fed it to both of my guys.

I am happy to report that the barfing that has gone on for three years or so has nearly stopped. There is just the occasional incident but I think those are due to hair balls as well.

What a relief! There is no joy in getting up in the morning to see barf waiting to be cleaned up, AGAIN, on my carpets and/or linoleum.

And why do they put grains in cat food anyway?!?!? ??? ??? ???

BTW That's Harley's baby pic as my avatar.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: No barfing!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »
Wow.  Talk about a testimonial for grain-free pet food!

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
Linda R:
  What size bag does this new food come in? Would like to try this on my cat also.

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »
I have found both 3lb and 5lb bags.

Here you go....................
https://www.beyondpetfood.com/products/cat/grain-free/

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
For carnivore and omnivore pets, grain-free needs to be at the top of the checklist.

But don't forget to check the overall macronutrient balance, and the quality of the protein. Most cat and dog food is way too high in carbs, even if grain-free.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
I haven't had a pet for awhile (son's has allergies) so I never noticed exactly when they started putting veggies in dog and cat food.  My grandfather raised racing greyhounds and never fed them veggies. Did this start along with 5 a day?

Graindead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »
I switched my dogs to grain free food a little over a year ago. I also added this product to their diets, and the difference was amazing. My 8 year old Yorkie mix went from couch potato to being very active and playful. Bright eyes, smooth coat, etc. And his breath isn't knee buckling any more. Highly recommended.

Nutri-Pet Research Nupro Dog Supplement, 5-Pound

http://www.nuprosupplements.com

Got it on Amazon

C Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
Switched to grain free dog food from costco about 2 years ago. Skin rash on my Bernese Mt Dog cleared up and never returned.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
I, too, have tried the Beyond Nature dry food, and my three cats seem to like it.  My Andy always barfs, and to be honest I didn't notice that he didn't with this brand.  I even sneak in a can of Beyond Nature food occasionally, since my middle guy has feline herpes and the L-lysine has to be mixed in GOOD or he won't eat it.  And it's hard to mix in powder in dry food.  But I will watch more closely now...will stop tonight and get some more dry.  It is kind of pricey, though.  But if it means cleaning up fewer barf messes, I'll go for it!

Linda R

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »
I, too, have tried the Beyond Nature dry food, and my three cats seem to like it.  My Andy always barfs, and to be honest I didn't notice that he didn't with this brand.  I even sneak in a can of Beyond Nature food occasionally, since my middle guy has feline herpes and the L-lysine has to be mixed in GOOD or he won't eat it.  And it's hard to mix in powder in dry food.  But I will watch more closely now...will stop tonight and get some more dry.  It is kind of pricey, though.  But if it means cleaning up fewer barf messes, I'll go for it!

Yes, it is, I had "sticker shock" when I first saw it on the shelf. Compared to the others, it is higher, which seems crazy if an ingredient is NOT in it.  ??? ??? ???

But as you say, not having to clean up barf almost daily makes it worth it.

Now if I can just remind my two guys that they need to aim DOWN into the litter box everytime and not out towards the wall...........
Fortunately their litter boxes are both located in my 2nd smaller bathroom and the flooring is linoleum!

Ah the fun and frustration of being a cat parent...........................

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
New petfood scandal spooling up
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
Don't forget the melamine ...
Lawsuit Claims Beneful Dog Food is Poisoning
Pets

Even if the stuff isn't tainted, check out the admitted Ingredients:
 Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, rice flour, beef, soy flour, meat and bone meal, propylene glycol, sugar, tricalcium phosphate, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), mono and dicalcium phosphate, dried spinach, dried peas, dried carrots, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Red 40, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, Blue 2, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Yum.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:03 PM »
I haven't been able to find gluten/grain free food that isn't full of starches, like potatoes & peas. I wish I could just feed my fur babies canned food, but one of them has a really sensitive stomach to proteins.

I never buy the made in china dry food. They don't care if they kill your babies.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »
Ok, back on my soapbox...apologies in advance....

Cats are obligate carnivores. The only eat meat. There is no way to make a dry cat food with just meat. Read the label. Cats do not eat lentils and chickpeas any more than they eat oats and wheat.

Feed the cans....even the cheapest store cans are better for your cat than the most expensive grain free dry food.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »
You could do what my Grandmother did for her small dog.  She cooked inexpensive meats at home and fed the dog exclusively on that.  A small animal can eat a long while on one whole baked chicken.  My Grandmother saved money and had the healthiest little beast I've ever seen.  And the most wonderful part?  The animals don't care if it's well spiced or how it's cooked.  Cats like cheap canned fish, as well.  My cats gave the distinct impression that I should fix them a tuna sandwich, too, hold the bread! 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
I have a "problem child" also, Andy, who barfs regularly.  Or who USED to.  He doesn't so much now, only when he eats too fast, I think.  But I've been buying the Beyond dry food (grain free) and also the canned food, which my three seem to like.  Except the chicken with sweet potato...they are not "sweet" eaters.  I've tried all the expensive canned foods, all to no avail.  But the Beyond brand is working now!  At the moment I'm only dealing with Andy's howling at night, since I moved a month ago into a new home and he's not liking it much, I suspect.   ::)

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
Oh, I see I already posted to this thread...sorry!  But I do like the Beyond cat food!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »

Sponsored Links