This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Peanut Butter, Legumes  (Read 6456 times)

littlbit

• View Profile
Peanut Butter, Legumes
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:03:01 AM »
I know there were some previous threads on this, but I had some questions on both peanut butter and legumes or types of beans.

I recently bought a jar of Organic Smucker's  peanut butter, Creamy brand to make a switch from Almond Butter which is what I usually keep in the house.  Ingredients:  Organic Roasted Peanuts, contains 1% or less of salt.  That's it.  Based on a serving (2TBSP), total fat is 16g, Cholest - 0g, Sodium - 50mg, Total Carb - 6g, Sugars - 1g, Fiber - 2g, ad Protein - 7g.  I guess 6g for carbs is too high?  Thoughts?

Also, while legumes seem to fall into the limited category, I was surprised that Garbanzo flour is on the list of recommended flours.  My Mom had made a big pot of the white kidney beans and gave me a frozen container to bring home and use, but after I thought about it, I decided not to eat them.  I plan to bring her back the still unused still frozen container because of they carbs they may have.  Continued guidance from everyone is always appreciated.

Linda R

Re: Peanut Butter, Legumes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:25:59 AM »

I recently bought a jar of Organic Smucker's  peanut butter, Creamy brand to make a switch from Almond Butter which is what I usually keep in the house.  Ingredients:  Organic Roasted Peanuts, contains 1% or less of salt.  That's it.  Based on a serving (2TBSP), total fat is 16g, Cholest - 0g, Sodium - 50mg, Total Carb - 6g, Sugars - 1g, Fiber - 2g, ad Protein - 7g.  I guess 6g for carbs is too high?  Thoughts?

I purchase this product a lot. I felt I was not getting enough fat and, since I have loved PB since childhood and saw that this was organic, decided to try it. I eat it simply by TBSP and add it to my daily quota.

The extra fat seems to be helping because my jeans are fitting much better than before, so, along with a decrease in the dairy whey and an increase in fat consumption, my body seems to like this a lot.

I had read that peanuts are one of the most highly sprayed crops in this country, so was very glad to see this organic version.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:52:47 AM »
Cool - I'm glad that I didn't waste money.  Woo Hoo   :D

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »
Sometimes I do miss the good old days of slathering lots of PB and grape jelly [loaded w/ sugar] on Wonder Bread.  Aw, the memories of my youth.

Of course the downside is that I was a very chubby kid who was picked on quite a bit as a freshman in high school, spent the better part of my life trying EVERY KNOWN DIET out there, starving myself, gaining it all back again and again.

This is the FIRST TIME in my life that I have been able to control my weight and feel great at the same time. I just wish it hadn't taken so long.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
I buy this p-butter...but I don't see an organic label.

Linda R

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »
At my Walmart, the organic jars sit right next to the regular.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »
Maybe I missed that...or maybe mine doesn't carry the organic. I'll check. Thanks Linda

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
At my Publix, the organic Smucker's sits right behind a post!!

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
I'm sure they put it behind the post so no one sees it and they will just buy the regular one.   >:(

I have hit a stone wall with my weight.  Lost 13 lbs since January 2nd and feel good about that.  The first 8 came off quickly and then it started to slow down.   Gained about six ounces back, but I was out to eat twice and controlled what I ordered as well as I could.   I'm sure there were some hidden ingredients in some of what I ate.  Since I don't eat out a lot, I decided not to beat myself up too hard and just get back on track.  It seems like every time I lose weight, I get to the 13 lb mark and then it slows down or stops.  I am determined to get to the 15 lb mark as my next goal and then keep going from there.

In my original post, I had also asked about legumes.  I'm assuming that any types of beans are also on a limited basis.  The other problem I'm having is I need to start getting more creative with recipes.  I feel like I'm always eating my protein and veggies, or salad but I'm starting to get bored with it.  Anyone have any suggestions as I go forward.  I don't want to backtrack after getting this far. 

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »
Yes, any type of legumes are on limited basis. Look - this is going to give you a good overview:
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/wheat-belly-quick-and-dirty/

I think the reason for this is that legumes contain lectines and pytic acid. Besides, some have quite a number of carbs.

Linda R

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »
I'm sure they put it behind the post so no one sees it and they will just buy the regular one.   >:(

In my original post, I had also asked about legumes.  I'm assuming that any types of beans are also on a limited basis.  The other problem I'm having is I need to start getting more creative with recipes.  I feel like I'm always eating my protein and veggies, or salad but I'm starting to get bored with it.  Anyone have any suggestions as I go forward.  I don't want to backtrack after getting this far.

If you enjoy cooking, I have used many recipes from these sites.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

http://lowcarbyum.com/

http://www.cutthewheat.com/

https://buttoni.wordpress.com/

http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »
There are endless recipes on this blog and on the internet for our way of eating.  Look up "paleo" breads, chicken, veggies, desserts, whatever.  You will find delicious and simple recipes as well as cookbook recommendations and references.    Many of your old tried and true recipes can be adapted to our no grain/sugar eats.

Concerning weight loss, your body needs to keep adjusting and adapting.  Initially there is water weight redistribution.  Then comes getting your system to burn fat instead of sugar for fuel.  Water consumption, medical conditions, age and medications taken during your life all contribute to how quickly you will lose excess weight and how quickly your will body will overcome a lifelong grain and sugar habit.  You don't really know what the conditions are in your intestines or your arteries.  How's your thyroid functioning?  Your liver?  Each and every organ needs to adjust, cleanse and adapt to a normal way of functioning.  How long this will take, no one knows.  It is probably a sure bet that the people who constantly look for the quick fix and then go back to the eating and drinking habits that caused their problems in the first place will constantly yo-yo in their weight and energy, never really healing themselves, but constantly setting themselves up for failure.

Dr. D's Wheat Belly blog is very informative about what to expect and his books are excellent resources.  This site also contains a top notch recommended reading list.  Worth your time to read and explore.

Beans are limited because of their relatively high glycemic value.  A half cup portion is the recommended amount to keep your blood sugar stable and minimize any glycation reaction.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »
I found the Smuckers Organic P-butter at our local Walmart (it's not even behind a post!) It's almost $2 more than the regular!!!! But I invested.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:45:13 PM »
Thanks to all for the good tips on recipes, reading, etc.  I'm not giving up the fight.  On a separate note, I ran across this video on You Tube.  I really liked it, but was surprised by some of the negative comments in the aftermath.  Anyway, here it is.  I copied ad pasted so I hope it opens.   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypF15z3euwM&feature=youtu.be&source=200&utm_source=ffnews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ffn-2015FEB24-NewMcdonald

Linda R

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:14:40 AM »
Loved it!

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 10:31:17 AM »
I've have finally broke what I call the 13 lb curse and hit the 14lb loss mark the other day.  Next goal is to get to 15 and go past it.  I still need to drink more water to get things flushed out.

Linda, thanks for the links to the different websites with recipes.  While I know there are plenty of options for sugar (i.e. Stevia, Swerve, Truvia, etc., am curious to try to find substitutes for things like honey (only because it is so high in carbs per quarter cup and other things like a maple syrup, and to replace, brown sugar.  I went through my cookbook binder this morning and did some cleaning out and want to put in  some new replacements.  I couldn't help noticing while I was pulling things, how many of the recipes called for honey or maple syrup in addition the to sugar.  The search goes on. Thanks ladies.   :)

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
Congratulations on your next step regarding weight loss.
I also feel that it is amazing how this life style change makes me view recipes and things differently.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
Linda R. :

Thank you for the list of sites that you use for recipes. I randomly picked one, and looked at what was there. Excellent site! Will eventually look at all of them.

Have decided that it's time for me to put the recipes that have accumulated into a 3-ring binder for myself & organize it with categories so that they can be found easily.

So glad that that there is much to choose from, now that this WOE has caught on. Makes things easier to do in the kitchen for sure.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
Hit the 14 lb loss mark and have plateaued for another two weeks.   I did take time to go back and look at what I was eating that may have affected it.  I noticed that I had incorporated both sausage and bacon back into my diet which are things I had done without during the first month.  Since the stall in weight loss, seems to have occurred around that same time frame,  I am going to assume that may be part of the problem.  I have also realized that I was eating a little more dairy than usual (a lot of cheese).  I am taking steps to give the remainder of the sausage to my Mom, limit the bacon to no more than 2x a month, and cut back on the cheese and dairy.  I know it will probably take another week for my body to adjust but I want to see what happens.

The good thing is that the weight only fluctuates back and forth by a few ounces.  Well, at least I know how to maintain for the future, but I want to lose more first.  It's amazing how even small changes can have such a big effect on our bodies.  I'm hanging in there.   :D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
Keep us posted, Littlbit, it sounds like you are doing okay.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
I am happy to hear that it is going well for you.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
Thanks to all for the encouragement....Come on 15 lbs....come on #15...has to happen by the end of this week (or so I hope).  ;) ;) ;)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
littlbit,

The dairy products are probably the culprit.  Many people have this problem with utilizing the natural sugars/fats in them.  Meats, even bacon and sausage, usually aren't the problem.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating lots of natural fats, like avocado, coconut oil etc.  You might keep count of your carb and fat intake. 

It take a while for you system to adjust.  Some people take several months, some don't.  Reducing inflammation and getting your liver to burn fat instead of sugar is based on age, health, medications taken and other conditions.  Alcohol consumption make your liver convert back to sugar burning for energy instead of fat burning.  It can take 5-6 weeks for this to happen.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »

Sponsored Links