This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Part Time Grain Free ?  (Read 3704 times)

amberwaves

• View Profile
Part Time Grain Free ?
« on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »
I find that the wheat free diet, especilally 100% grain free part, hard to stick to. Could I be 100% grain free on Monday Wednesday, Friday and a "normal" moderate die on Tueday, Thursday  and Saturday. Would that help in weight loss, but at a slower rate?

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Part Time Grain Free ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 02:39:22 PM »
In a word, no. Dr. Davis blogged on exactly this 2 years ago at:
Safe sex . . . on weekends only

For those acutely sensitive to gluten-bearing grains, once off it for a while, any re-exposure can be quite distressing. For the rest of us, Dr.D's remarks apply.

What exactly is making it hard?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »
Amber,

By being grain free every other day, your body never gets a chance to heal the destruction caused by grains.  You are still ingesting poisons.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
Amber:

Welcome to the WFF.  You will find lots of
suggestions for things to substitute for foods
you just don't want to go without.  We all
get it.

But saying you would still like to eat wheat
is saying that you don't believe Dr Davis.
What is it that you disagree with?

amberwaves

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:11:39 PM »
Bill, It is not so much the wheat, it is the rice and the other grains(oatmeal for breakfast). What about the occasional dessert?

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 12:20:25 AM »
Which of the books have you read? I would recommend you to read both the WB book and the WB total health book. This will give you the full overview of how bad gluten is. Rice has no gluten, but it makes you very hungry. I once tried that. And I felt more hungry after having eaten the rice than before the rice. Then I said to myself "you have enjoyed times without hunger bouts - you do not want to go back to square one - being in the grip of uncontrollable hunger - no thanks".

For deserts there are so many delicious ideas and alternatives. Who the heck needs wheat or rice in deserts.  I have bought all kinds of nut flours, I can use cream, ......there are many ideas in the WB cookbook.

When I still had the picture in my head that I am saying good-bye to delicious things, then it was difficult, but I keep making clear to me that what I am saying good bye to is bad for my health.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »
amberwaves:

Reminder: Rice is full of arsenic. Do you really want to be eating that?
There probably isn't any way to remove this, as rice gets the arsenic from the soil it's grown in.

I also tried the part-time stuff, & it slows down everything, and it also returned much of the arthritic pain when I went off of the "WB" WOE (Way Of Eating). I paid for doing that in more ways than one: not sleeping as well, Fibromyalgia flare-ups, feeling tired most of the time, etc. No thank you, WB is what works for me.

Linda R

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
I find that the wheat free diet, especilally 100% grain free part, hard to stick to. Could I be 100% grain free on Monday Wednesday, Friday and a "normal" moderate die on Tueday, Thursday  and Saturday. Would that help in weight loss, but at a slower rate?

I don't know your age, but if you are in more or less the same age bracket as many of us, than you have also gone through the years and years of false, damaging and ludicrous "advice" handed out to us, telling us we have to stop eating all that fat, no more eggs, etc. We all turned to more carbohydrate laden crap full of flour, grains, sugar, artificial flavors, artificial colors, and so forth. And in doing so, illnesses began to grow in this country. But of course, our government is never wrong and we continued to believe in that ridiculous food pyramid.

[I hope you watched the movie that Rita discussed in another post,it is called "Bought", she provided a link for any of us to see it free, for a limited time.]

So now, we in the WB movement and Dr Davis are asking you to turn everything you were taught upside down.It isn't easy, but you will be amazed at how quickly you will look and feel better.
It sometimes takes awhile to accept putting lots of real butter on your broccoli.
You mean I can drink whole milk?
I can put REAL CREAM in my coffee?
I can eat ground beef with a higher fat content?
Too many people find it really difficult to accept that grains, and especially wheat, is NOT the basis of life, or blessed, or special, or NEEDED in our diets.
It really is possible to live without those things.

I have not eaten any wheat or grain of any kind since July of 2008 and I am doing just fine.

It can be done, and perhaps this is more of a mental hurdle?

skedzinger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »
Hi there.

I am trying since abt a month, and feel the zero-wheat (or even zero gluten or zero grain) approach to be hard as well. Does not help that i live in china, where buying good stuff is more difficult and if available expensive.

I incorporated a lot of nuts, eggs and cheese in my diet + meat and some fruits. For my home meals i try to stick close to the rules.

I take cider or red wine over beer (although it seems asia has quite the wheat free choices - japanese asahi for example).

Real problem is eating out which i simply cant avoid in my line of work. Even i pick the steak salad - there will always be sauce. When i stick to sashimi, there will be soy sauce (id even bring my own - but did not find wheatfree so far - not even in hong kong).

I feel that i am satisfied with less calories and lost some weight - but that might also be because i am staying under a calorie goal (which - again - feels easier than before).

Ill read the article mentioned higher in this thread - that seems to indicate that it should be all or nothing approach. But - really - do you have experience that dipping your sashimi in standard soy sauce is killing of the positive effects?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
S,

The way you feel is the answer to your question.  The longer you are completely grain and sugar free, the less you will be able to tolerate grains and sugar.
At least the bast qualities of soy sauce are fermented so you are ingesting just a little wheat.  People here use coconut amino's instead of soy sauce or they purchase gluten free soy sauce and use it just occasionally.  Soy products, corn starch and sugars are avoided as much as possible. 

Every time you eat a grain, you are causing the negative reactions Dr. Davis has explained.  It can take 4-6 weeks for your body to recover.  You do the best you can with what you have available.  Good luck!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
I can attest to the fact that once you've been off wheat for a while, and have detoxed so to speak, ingesting it can be very distressful.  I did get off track around Christmas, and one symptom I developed, any time I ate a donut or cookie (YES, I know ) was a pain in my left arm, the shoulder mostly, which would develop into a weakness of the arm, and the hand was affected, mostly the middle fingers, such that I couldn't type because the fingers were curling under, like a claw and I did NOT HAVE the strength to straighten them out and type!  I had sort of forgotten about that, it was scary as hell!!  I immediately stopped the wheat and the symptom went away quickly, like over night. I took mass quantities of magnesium and drank loads of water, to get whatever it was out of my system.  And it worked.  Stupidly, I did it again a few weeks later, and lo and behold - the same thing happened.  I could not make this up, it was like a brick wall hit me, and i have to say it worked to motivate me once and for all - there will be not wheat or sugar passing my lips again, ever. 

Really scary . :-X

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
I am inadvertently "wheated" from time to time. Anything from hamburgers that are supposed to be 100% meat and aren't to "flour free" bisque. I can always tell from the abdominal distress and bloating. In addition, I get the "addiction" effects like wanting to eat everything in sight.

I can't be wheat free part time. It's all or nothing.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »

Sponsored Links