This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Climbing Out of the Abyss  (Read 1223 times)

MissMel

• View Profile
Climbing Out of the Abyss
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:56:16 PM »
I've been lurking now and again but haven't posted.  I'm not looking for sympathy, this post is more of a personal reminder to myself about how far I've strayed.  I've fallen off the wagon a multitude of times since October of last year.  And now I'm a hot mess - additional pounds, alien sludge poops and not enough energy to even roll off the couch.

I need to work on finding work-life balance and relieving stress.  My career is very high-stress and many nights I'm at the office until between 7:00 and 8:00.  When I leave the office in the winter it's dark out and I come home to an empty house and no one to talk to.  Subsequently I turn to food for stress relief, especially during the brutally cold winter where I'm not getting ANY sunlight and the severe windchill usually leads me to hiding under the blanket on my couch with my iPad. 

I'm starting to feel better and my outlook is improving, but in January I'm fairly certain I was depressed.  I got into a cycle of "work late - eat carbs - lay on couch - fall asleep" rinse and repeat.  And at the time I didn't care, not one bit. I even stopped flossing every day and taking my supplements!  I became one big carb-laden lump of nastiness.

So here's to hitting that reset button! I enjoy reading everyone's successes and struggles here.

HungryinTN

Re: Climbing Out of the Abyss
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:00:25 AM »
I'm right there with ya! Something in me snapped at some point over the holidays. I remained gluten free and MOSTLY grain-free, but my "slips" (especially nachos and booze) started getting closer and closer together, and I started being less conscientious about my carb count, and I've bloated up a full twenty pounds since September. I definitely went into a major depressive episode, aggravated by chronic stress and insomnia. I read an article the other day that will hopefully help. I'm going to start eating breakfast (eggs, mainly) and stop doing intermittent fasting for a  while. Apparently a good dose of tryptophan from protein early in the morning helps to regulate the serotonin-melatonin cycle and repair neurotransmitters, and my symptoms are definitely consistent with a serotonin deficiency. I was going along just fine for over a year, and then suddenly I wasn't. What had come easily became suddenly extremely difficult (saying no to trigger foods, getting off of the couch, sometimes getting out of bed at all was impossible). A lot of it is stress-related and situational, as I was overwhelmed by my work load and surrounded by some pretty toxic people for a while, with whom I have now limited contact. But there has to be some explanation for why my self-control suddenly became non-existent. Neurotransmitter damage seems like a reasonable explanation. In addition to adding protein back to my mornings, I am taking several amino acids associated with neurotransmitter maintenance and repair. Here's hoping!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
Hi MissMel!  I can relate so well to how you felt with work and cold, miserable weather when you wrote this!  I hope things have improved for you, in both areas.  My work life has ended for now, and it's had an incredible impact on my mental state.  As I told a friend last week, I feel like I left a really evil place, and am blessed to be out of that rat race.  I don't know how old you are, or any circumstances, but wanted to say, if there is any chance to remove yourself from a job that is taking advantage of you, or causing you negative feelings, it would be a good thing.  ;)

Having a plan, taking time to prepare, and getting lots of motivation and help from the folks here, is probably the best ticket to success!

Hope all is well, and would love to hear how you are doing, and what is helping you - or holding you back, whatever the case.

Best to you,
Barb

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »

Sponsored Links