This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Spinach  (Read 4597 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Spinach
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »
My sister and I  had a conversation regarding spinach......we both love it but she indicates that when she eats it, it goes right through her. So today, I did some checking on spinach and found that it has naturally occurring nitrite levels, along with oxalates which may interfere with calcium, as well as iron absorption....also contains purines which would be contraindicated for those with kidney/gall bladder/gout issues.....also not recommended to be given to babies/toddlers. I thought it was a super food.....your experiences?

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Spinach
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
I love spinach and have some several times a week.  I thought leafy greens were supposed to be good for us, too!  Yesterday morning, I made a spinach, onion and mushroom frittata for breakfast.  I wonder if cooking spinach changes how we absorb the nutrients?  I don't like raw spinach as much as cooked, and I nearly always saute' the spinach in olive oil or a combination of olive oil and butter or olive oil and bacon grease.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Jan, I have had some of the same issues as your sister.  Just recently I reached desperation with pain, gas, diarhea and bloating.  I remembered the great article on veggies, meat and digestion someone linked to on this forum and decided to quit eating the vegetables for a while.  Wow, instant better!  I, too thought spinach (which I love) and the other veggies were so good for me, now I don't know what to think.  I can just imagine my doctors face if I tell him I gave up eating vegetables along with wheat!  It makes me laugh just to think about it.  Maybe I should move back to Alaska (where my son was born) and see if one of my Inuit friends would adopt me?

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
I love spinach and have some several times a week.  I thought leafy greens were supposed to be good for us, too!  Yesterday morning, I made a spinach, onion and mushroom frittata for breakfast.  I wonder if cooking spinach changes how we absorb the nutrients?  I don't like raw spinach as much as cooked, and I nearly always saute' the spinach in olive oil or a combination of olive oil and butter or olive oil and bacon grease.

I've been taught (by Leeanne Ely - savingdinner.com) that if you saute' the spinach you get rid of the oxilate problem and are then able to absorb all of the calcium (when eaten raw the oxilates block the absorption of the calcium in spinach). Several times a week I eat a Spinach-and-Cheese Omelet. Here's the link for the recipe I follow substituting Cheddar for the Swiss...

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-and-cheese-omelet-10000001975712/
~Kathy~

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:35:37 AM »
Thanks for the info Kathy.....I do prefer sautéing spinach with eggs, etc, but did like a spinach salad now and then.   

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
Lynda......the more I read about Inuits, the more I'm beginning to think they had it all figured out!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder myself, Jan.  They sure seemed tougher and happier than we in 'civilized' areas.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »

...if you saute' the spinach you get rid of the oxilate problem and are then able to absorb all of the calcium (when eaten raw the oxilates block the absorption of the calcium in spinach).

Well, that's kinda the pits. We eat lots of spinach salads.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
Wow, thanks Kathy, maybe that's where I've been going wrong: I've been eating it raw.

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »

...if you saute' the spinach you get rid of the oxilate problem and are then able to absorb all of the calcium (when eaten raw the oxilates block the absorption of the calcium in spinach).

Well, that's kinda the pits. We eat lots of spinach salads.

Deanna - Sorry to be the bearer of this disappointing news. I was bummed to learn this about raw spinach as I enjoy eating spinach salads as well.
~Kathy~

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 05:43:57 AM »
I use it raw for my smoothies, couple times a week. No problems over here.
I don't think (if you're 'healthy') the small ammounts of nitrates, nitrites and other 'bad' stuff that can be found in fruits and veggies naturally, it's not just spinach, are a problem.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »
I thought the reverse regarding spinach......that the raw was nutritionally better for us. I guess when I'm back eating more veggies, I'll go light on the spinach salads.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »

Sponsored Links