This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: We need to be better ambassadors of this WOE  (Read 6109 times)

Randal

• View Profile
We need to be better ambassadors of this WOE
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
I've been holding back my tongue on people's responses to different things, but I now realize that we're doing ourselves a disservice by not being better ambassadors for the wheat-free lifestyle. Sometimes the tone on here can get a little too political, or fringe, or judgmental, or critical; or it simply comes off in a way that can put newbies off to all that this WOE can offer.

Just like vegans / vegetarians have a public persona that people make fun of, so do "gluten-free" people. Mainly it's that we won't shut up about it (which is why I almost never talk about it, unless someone sounds like they really need help). But also this WOE is so unconventional and goes against everything we've been indoctrinated to (eat low fat, whole grains are heart healthy, carbo-loading is good for exercise), that we have to be extra careful that we don't turn people off.

I'll mention a couple things I would encourage people to stop doing:
  • Taking shots at political leaders. The wheat-free lifestyle doesn't belong to one party or the other. If you take a shot at a political leader, you're probably going to bother half the people on the board. It might turn off newbies from returning, thinking that this board aligns with one party or the other.
  • Discussing things like vaccinations. This is a highly charged topic, but not all that wheat-free related. Someone new could read that thread and think that this WOE is aligned in a certain way.
Personally, I've gone back and deleted or edited a bunch of my posts, and right after I hit the Post button, I'm going to search out and edit or remove some more. I don't want people potentially not enjoying the benefits of this lifestyle because of something I've posted or something that could be perceived in a negative light.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this off the boards as well...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: We need to be better ambassadors of this WOE
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
Thank you Randal.   I appreciate you writing that.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »
I fear I may have killed discussion temporarily. But yesterday while going back and deleting a number of my posts, I realized there are a LOT of people who were frequent posters who no longer participate. Seriously, go back 3, 6, or 12 months in the forum, and you can see lots of people who dropped off. The simplest interpretation is that they either stopped following the lifestyle or stopped following the board. We all can do a lot to prevent both of those causes, mainly by staying positive, supportive, and on point. I will endeavor to do so myself.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »
People use social media to be part of a group with a common interest.  They share information and in doing so, add value to your understanding of a topic.
Posters usually like sharing information and participating in the discussions that follow.  The only requirement besides a computer and internet connection is a willingness to share your knowledge, answer questions and provide useful information.  We all come from different walks of life and  economic circumstances with varying age and health issues.  We all have different viewpoints.

This forum provides for discussions of wheat free eating and similar health topics.  When the discussions become repeated dialogues of emotional angst and venting of personal misery or anger, then most people don't bother to comment or share and eventually don't bother to log on.  Everyone has enough problems in their own life to deal with.  When the opinions or suggestions offered to help solve the issue are ignored and there isn't any exchange of new information which might interest us and expand our knowledge, we no longer feel good sharing something recently learned or experienced, we just go on with our lives since there isn't any deeper conversation on the forum.  We post less and less as the issues discussed are not providing for our needs.

Everyone here has their own version of the WB way of eating.  What is perfect for me may not be good for you.  The knowledge we gain here allows us to adjust our diet for the desired outcome.  When the responsibility for what we place in our mouths shifts to other people as the reason the outcome is poor, then posted ad nauseam on this forum, that's when interest is lost as being an ambassador of this WOE becomes meaningless.  Most people take what they can learn from a post and ignore the rest if it doesn't apply or they don't agree.  That is all it takes to be a better ambassador of this WOE.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
I'm glad for the information on vaccinations, and I don't even have children or grandchildren. But I feel this info is important so parents can make informed decisions. No, this info is not specifically about this WOE, but it IS about health.

I've considered at times leaving the forum because I'm not at the same level of dedication as some. Like Rita...I eat more carbs. I also have drinks. But my goal is choosing something I not only CAN do...but something I WILL do. And I don't wish to set myself up for failure and beat myself up all the time...because then I would not stick with it.

I've learned a lot on this forum. I look forward to checking in and I'm interested in what y'all have to say. I don't always comment, but I read every post.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 01:23:23 PM »
I think "dedication" is the wrong word to use above. I'm VERY dedicated to what I'm doing, but my goals are not the same as some of you.

Thanks Randal, I agree with some of your comments.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
Randal, I appreciate your care for others.  Willingness to take time to help those who are struggling is a rather rare quality. This leads to my appreciation of this group, as a whole.  I have been on a number of boards with some very caring people on them, but none that go to the level of the members of this one.  This is a highly educated, extremely dynamic and motivated group: that right there would chase off many within a short period.  That is what I value.  I can't tell you how many times the discussions on this forum have tripped my thinking off onto a productive tangent.  Even when we don't all agree, or maybe especially when we don't agree, I pick up the germ of an idea or clarify my thinking.  I feel one of our biggest problems is 'staleness' or what they used to call 'enoi' or just plain boredom.  I can tell this group loves an intellectual challenge and that makes me think we need new subjects to conquer.  Who was it that recognized that a long while ago? Was that you, Rita?  Someone called for new ideas and I think we are finding them in current events.  I, for one, would like to really explore what some do differently that has helped their health.  We touched on this once before and I'd love to hear updates from everyone. I would enjoy hearing what oddball things have happened (ie) why is the only two weeks I had no gastric burning, the only two weeks I ate no vegetables but avocado?  Anyone else done that or something like it?  Just the discussion helps me generate ideas to explore, even hearing that's the oddest thing anyone has ever heard is valuable information. Some here are not low, low carb: is this still helping you personally?  I gain weight with carbs and lose energy without them.  Tough one, since lower carb has improved my health.  Well, this gives you an idea what I mean.  Maybe we could put together some tutorials on things like vitamins, like they did for b12 on the neuro boards. It's amazing how many don't understand the basics.  These things can get new people started exploring.  Come on, everyone, put on your thinking caps: I know you can generate better ideas than I do.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
I can tell this group loves an intellectual challenge and that makes me think we need new subjects to conquer.

Yep… we need some new topics.  ( I get jazzed about microbes myself. )  lol

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
Lynda,

We ALL generate good ideas.  Your suggestions are right on the mark.  It doesn't really matter how you follow our WOE, it just matters that you do and you are benefitting.  This is what most of us can do.  In my opinion, this forum is excellent because we don't dwell on the reasons why we can't or won't comply with most of the basic rules of this or similar versions.  Whining just doesn't work here.  What works is presenting a problem or your experience and the other members relate to that.  Their insights are phenomenal!

By the way, avocado is rich in fats and minerals like magnesium, all of which are soothing to your stomach.  Digestion worked with the stomach acid you produced and the swelling went down.  Your tummy said "thanks" by not giving you the acid reflux. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
I think you are right, Barbara, the fats coat my stomach and the nutrients heal.  I really miss avocado season!  I felt better with avocados added to my daily fare.

Rita, I love microbes!!  They are the hottest topic around.  I would love to read anything anyone puts on here about them.  I'm sure mine aren't happy with me right now and am adding back probiotics.  May have to add prebiotics, too.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
Rita, I love microbes!!  They are the hottest topic around.  I would love to read anything anyone puts on here about them.  I'm sure mine aren't happy with me right now and am adding back probiotics.  May have to add prebiotics, too.

I don't know if you had a chance to read the 2 research articles I recently wrote on the subject, but if not, you can read about them here and here.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »
Thanks, Rita, I read the first article and am planning the second one later.  The first one was very well done and quite informative, as was another article you wrote.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
Thanks.  :)   What I wrote about in the 2nd article was eye-opening for me.   (Which is what makes research so fun.)  :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »
Rita, I enjoyed your articles.  I learned alot, too. I thought the difference  in gut bacteria between infants born natural and those born c section to be fascinating. I wouldn't have expected so great a disparity.  I wonder, does the fact that some bacteria doesn't colonize when ingested, mean we will need supplimenration for extreme periods of time? Great articles, great questIons.  I will surely be following this su ject.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
Lynda… I know… it's such a fascinating subject!   I took that 6-week course that Colorado University did on the gut micro biome. 

I personally think that prebiotics (if we haven't wiped out certain species completely through antibiotics) are the way to bring back the desirable populations.   But we most likely first need to bring the bifidobacteria back so that the pH is right for the other desirable bacteria populations to grow.   For bifido we need inulin-type prebiotics like onions, garlic, dandelion and chicory root.   But then we still need other prebiotics like pectin for other bacteria to grow.  So it's really about getting a good variety of prebiotics going.

The probiotics may have to be a continuous process as they don't colonize.  It may be necessary depending on how much our gut flora has been wiped out.

You can actually send in a stool sample to find out what you've got.  Here's information on that:  http://humanfoodproject.com/americangut/

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »
Rita, your articles are interesting. I need to know more about this.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
Rita, I just sit in amazement over the microbe research.  They seems to affect every thing in the body.  What I can't get passed is that it seems you get one shot at getting your set of microbes (at birth) and after that you just hope your body and diet grow what you need properly. Did I understand that correctly? It would explain a lot of human misery wouldn't it? A poor persons heavy grain diet/starvation would not allow them to prosper long enough to escape birth circumstances.  It explains how poor, young fishermen became vigorous 'old salts', too.  So, when we undergo a long period of antibiotic, for instance, we have a long wait for our own flora to repopulate? Guess without help that could take awhile: explains why some folks have such an unexpectedly long recovery time when there is no apparent reason.  This would make a very logical explanation for why my very elderly friend ends up with severe diarrhea every time she's in the hospital.  She eats almost all grain with very little protein at home.  They feed her differently and her gut can't handle it for months, literally.  I got her on probiotics at home but she won't take them in the hospital.  I bet this is part of the reason; they can never find any explanation.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 11:27:05 AM »
Let's start a new thread here  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,1909.0.html , since I kind of hijacked Randal's conversation.  Sorry Randal.  :o

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »
I'm sorry,too,Randal.. You had some very valid concerns.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »

Sponsored Links