This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Clearspring Organic Rice Malt Syrup  (Read 1462 times)

sdonbavand

• View Profile
Clearspring Organic Rice Malt Syrup
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
Hi,

Was hoping for some advice please. I bought 3 jars of rice malt syrup from Amazon. It says wheat free on the jar but the ingredients list sprouted barley.

Would it still be ok to have?
thanks

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Clearspring Organic Rice Malt Syrup
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
re: It says wheat free on the jar but the ingredients list sprouted barley.

It is then not gluten-free. WF doesn't necessarily mean GF and GF doesn't necessarily mean WF.

But even if it were, this product is mostly digestible simple carbs (mostly sugars). It may not spike blood sugar like table sugar, but all the glucose in it ends up as blood sugar, and all the fructose ends up in the liver.

Next we have the question of whether malting rice neutralizes the wheat germ agglutinin found in all rices. I don't have a guess on that.

Finally, there's the matter of arsenic contamination of rice, a growing problem, and whether it is lost in the malting. No guess there either.

The sugar load alone would put me off this product. There are many syrups available made with safe alternative sweeteners.

sdonbavand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »
Thanks for your comments. I bought it when I started my quit sugar plan (as it was the recommended sweetener for occasional treats). I've since decided to give up wheat.

I'm sure I can find some use for it, add it to something for my wheat and sugar eating family!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »

Sponsored Links