This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Suzy's road to health and happiness  (Read 4170 times)

Suzy in Colorado

• View Profile
Suzy's road to health and happiness
« on: March 20, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
My name is Suzy and I currently live in Colorado with my husband and three teenage boys.
I have been on and off a lc eating plan since the birth of my first child in 1998. Carb Addicts, Atkins
and most recently Dukan. Problem: all three of these plans ended in failure for me as I was constantly living for when I could have wheat and grains again. Over the years I have learned that one celebration slice of cake equals me going back down that slippery slope of giving into cravings then losing the battle altogether...feeling like crap, guilty, mad at myself, and adding back the weight in just a few short months. Then the process starts all over again:(

In the last few months I have been in another downward spiral. Worse than ever. Severe depression, anxiety, constant fatigue, insomnia, various aches and pains all while trying to "eat right" trying to remember to take my 3 Tbs of oat bran a day never realizing that this was more than likely contributing to my problems.

Four weeks ago I decided to do the Whole 30 cleanse with a friend of mine. It is basically paleo. At the same time I finally decided to quit my 25 year addiction to caffeine in the form of diet coke. I am sure this was a big part of my problems. I had given up aspartame a couple of years prior but still was relying on Splenda for my diet drinks. The first two weeks of my detox were really awful. Migraines, body aches, breakouts all over my legs and arms, painful gas, loose stools, etc.... I was unable to focus on anything that required the use of my brain. The third week I was feeling better but still extremely tired. This week I am feeling much better but battling with TOM.
During this time I had been doing a lot of research on the paleo lifestyle when I came across Wheat Belly. The proverbial lightbulb went off in my head. I always knew that I was addicted to junk carbs but never knew the reason why...the science behind it. I feel as if I am a recovering heroine addict. I now know that I can never go back to wheat or any grain products. Even a little treat will send me back to a place I never want to go again!
I am so excited to start this new chapter of my life. I have not read Wheat Belly yet but have read nearly everything I could find online about it. I plan on ordering it from amazon in the next couple days.
I have been taking the list of supplements that Dr Davis recommends for over a week now. Trying to get my belly back to a happy place!

Redhead65

• View Profile
Re: Suzy's road to health and happiness
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »
Good luck on your new journey, and welcome to the forum

The symptoms you describe, depression and all, could be attributed to the consumption of grains, but if you have anybody with thyroid problems in your family, it might not be completely wrong to get your thyroid bloodwork and the size of your thyroid checked. Maybe that contributes to it, too.

I hope you will enjoy this forum here. Everybody is very helpful.

Suzy in Colorado

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:40:51 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome Redhead:)
No known thyroid problems in my family. Not to say there could have been and just went undetected.
Hopefully I will be able to get my system working for me instead of against. I am four weeks in and feel better but not great. The sleep thing is still a challenge. Have been reading up on strategies for that. It is a hard habit to break not taking my phone to bed. Also we have a couple of blue light sources in our bedroom that need to be removed.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »
Hi Suzy,

Welcome to the forum. 

L-Glutamine is often suggested as helping stop grain and sugar cravings.  This is an amino acid. 

Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Suzy in Colorado

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »
Hi Barbara...thanks for welcoming me!
I have enjoyed reading your posts. Lots of good info too.

I don't think my cravings at this point are the problem. I think it is more a lack of quality sleep. Any suggestons on what I could do naturally to help. I am 43 and have been having this problem for about a year now. Most nights I only get about five to six hours of uninterrrupted sleep. Makes me sluggish during the day.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »
Welcome Suzy, we are glad to have you.  It sounds like you are well on your way; good luck to you.  I can sympathize with your caffeine and sleeping problems. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »

Hi Suzy, welcome! I've been on a natural progesterone for just a week and a half now, and I am sleeping better. You can read our posts about it on this forum.

Here's the link:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,1917.msg16950.html#msg16950

Suzy in Colorado

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 07:21:04 AM »
Suzy's road to happiness hit a sink hole two days ago. I ordered a seemingly harmless chicken caesar salad minus the croutons at a local eatery. I knew something wasn't right when I was plagued with tummy upset through the night and yesterday felt lethargic and one side of my neck was sore with a swollen gland. I feel like I used to feel all the time:(
Eating out is like playing Russian Roulette...lesson learned!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:23:48 AM »
We've all been "wheated" at some point. You're right...lesson learned!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »
re: I ordered a seemingly harmless chicken caesar salad minus the croutons at a local eatery.

At Olive Garden, I've reliably had them omit the croutons, but the chicken sometimes arrives breaded and not grilled.

And even when you make it clear that everyone at the table is avoiding wheat, they still try to bring bread ...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
Welcome Suzy. 

Magnesium might help you sleep.  Most people are very deficient in magnesium.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »
re: I ordered a seemingly harmless chicken caesar salad minus the croutons at a local eatery.

At Olive Garden, I've reliably had them omit the croutons, but the chicken sometimes arrives breaded and not grilled.

And even when you make it clear that everyone at the table is avoiding wheat, they still try to bring bread ...
Yeah, it is the same thing there in Europe. I will for example order veggies as a side dish instead of noodles, and they will do that, claiming to understand that I am not eating gluten, and then they put wheat bread in front of me.

Regarding the croutons: since a lot of things are prepared ahead of time these days, chances are that the salad was already in a bowl, and the croutons were already on top, and then they maybe just removed them last minute.

Eating out is really like Russian roulette.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 06:23:10 AM »
Welcome Suzy - I second Rita's and Deanna's sleep recommendations, Magnesium and a little bit of Progesterone creme might be the ticket!  It's really hard to not get "wheated" in restaurants these days, they add so much junk to everything, to preserve and make it tasty for a people who have been raised on fast food and MSG and other additives.  The only thing I can say is, don't eat out, but that's not really practical, when you want to socialize with friends.  I used to invite people over instead, back when I was younger, so I was in control of the food I had to eat.  But lately, I order something like a steak or other piece of meat, that they can't do much to, and tell them absolutely no sauces or condiments, sometimes no spices, even salt.  Then I add those at the table, as needed.  It helps me to eat something fatty before I leave the house, and then just eat a salad, with vinegar and oil on the side.  A lot of restaurants have olive oil now, I ask for it. 

Good luck and hope you can find your way to feeling better soon!

Suzy in Colorado

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
I survived Easter...Yay! I have to say that this is the easiest, low pressure, craving free WOE I have ever done. Still no weightloss after five weeks but my waist is smaller and my clothes fit better. My hair stopped falling out, my depression and anxiety have vanished and most notably my face looks younger and smoother with no dark circles.

Finally free of the constant hunger and food obsessions. I look at a traditonally baked goody and all I see is poison. My husband thinks I am nuts but my middle son is on board with me. He is gluten intolerant and has been off of most grains but for rice and some corn since early January. He has also seen a huge decrease in his asthma symptoms. I no longer serve wheat or most grain products at my house, nothing prepackaged either. For the most part my family is eating much healthier. Hopefully my nagging will instill in them to start making healthier food choices on there own.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 10:58:46 PM »
Congratulations on your progress. For me this freedom from the constant obession with food is also wonderful.
I would not worry about the scale (says someone who has no scale). Since I no longer weigh myself, I become more attentive to what changes in my body, and I do not need a scale to  validate that. Throw out your scale!  8) Especially when I get out of the shower and I dry my body with a towel, suddenly I  feel a bone where there "did not used to be one" LOL, or I feel a bone more clearly than before. You can do it, too.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 10:58:46 PM »

Sponsored Links