This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: MCT Oil  (Read 3149 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
MCT Oil
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:05:18 AM »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: MCT Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:25:09 AM »
Jan,

Oh boy!  I really believed that the MCT oil for bulletproof coffee was super healthy.  Never even thought twice about it.  Now that I know it isn't all that it is advertised for, I'll never purchase it again.  More room in my pantry!

At the end of the article, if you scroll down further, there are several other good articles worth reading.  One if them is about coconut oil.  It describes how to know if your oil is good quality and why you shouldn't purchase it from the big box stores.  A friend took me to Costco and I bought several containers of the Carrington Farms Coconut Oil for a superb price.  It smells fine and cooks fine.  I guess it is probably a good idea to save your receipts so that if the oil does start smelling "odd" halfway through, you can return it.  Costco usually does an excellent job of sourcing top quality items which they can sell in bulk to their members.  Whether the complaints were from a bad batch or a continuous lower quality processing, we will never know. 

Thanks for posting this article.  Very eye opening!

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
Jan:
  Thank you for posting the link on the MCT oil. Have seen this on the store shelves here & there. Next time I do, will read the label just to see what it says.
  Geez Louise, the food crooks seem to be everywhere!!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »
Interesting, but just an opinion I think - did you read the comments?  Oh my, such drama.  I like the Carrington Farms CO and will stay with it, haven't had any problems with smell, taste etc.  Have never seen discoloration like she has a picture of.  She might have dropped something in the can.  And I never would leave my oil in a garage, in the Summer at 110 degrees.  Who does that? 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »
https://shop.riteaid.com/nutiva-coconut-oil-organic-extra-virgin-15-oz-426-g-0351536?gdftrk=gdfV213277_a_7c4036_a_7c14908_a_7c0351536&gclid=CjwKEAjwkcWrBRDg5u6SuPS11C0SJAChLLAH70bELvXUq4GJTKUbVLBktntklq5etq3XHe2-Hn1MqRoCc7zw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nutiva also calls their Organic CO "extra virgin" so that blogger does not know what she's talking about!  We have to use common sense when reading on the internet, obviously anyone can be fooled once in a while, but personally, I would not be thrown by this so called Home economist and might just go put a comment on her Costco thread, it obviously bothered me a lot!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
She was not talking about solid organic coconut oil......she was referencing MCT oil, as well as coconut oil sold in liquid form.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:12:05 AM »
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/why-buying-coconut-oil-at-costco-is-risky-business/

Jan - sorry, I should have made it clearer, that I had opened another one of her posts, and was referring to that one, where she slams Costco for selling the Carrington Farms CO for half the price of for instance, amazon.

She mentions in that post that they call it "extra virgin" when according to her, CO can't be EXTRA virgin.  Just virgin.  If you read the comments, you see what I mean what the heck did Costco do, but sell the CArrington farms products for half price - they have other products of theirs, so is she saying that the product is different when bought at Costco, than other places?  I think what she's implying is that because Costco is selling it so cheap, or price effective, the producer can't keep up and is making the product with less quality any way, just wanted to clarify I was not referring to the MCT oil post,but this one!  8)

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
I started making the bullet proof coffee about two weeks ago.  I use about 1/2 tablespoon of Kerry Gold Butter, 1/2 of Coconut Oil, stevia and a small dash of half & half.  I've hit another plateau with weight loss.  It seems every 10 lbs or so, I hit a plateau and get stuck there for almost three weeks.  Hoping it's nothing to do with the coffee.  I've been sticking to the program and actually been packing up my house to move, along with taking two walks a day.  I should have dropped 10 lbs in the past two weeks and the scale has barely budged.  Anyone have any ideas?  Just wondering if it's just my body chemistry or does this happen to others.   :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
This happens to everyone.  Just keep eating plenty of fats and drink water during this moving time.  It can be exciting, but also stressful.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:59:31 AM »
I agree weight really means nothing on this diet, at least not if you're looking at a linear losing streak.  It will be loss on scale loss of inches loss on scale loss of inches.  In between, body recomposing.

Stick with it, is all I can say, moving is lots of work and you need your strength right now, you will build muscle and that can also cause no weight loss on the scale.  Don't forget to measure or use clothing as guide.

Good luck with the move and do check in more often, it would be so nice to hear from some of the oldies but goodies!!   :D

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:59:31 AM »

Sponsored Links