This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: twenty five year addict desperate for help  (Read 2881 times)

elsa

• View Profile
twenty five year addict desperate for help
« on: April 19, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
Hi, I'd like to introduce myself to the forum and apologise in advance for seemingly negative outlook. I just want to be honest about my difficulties so I can hopefully find the support I desperately need.
I can recognise a myriad of addictive characteristic in my eating and I know these are triggered by gliadin. As someone with a qualification in clinical nutrition I feel like a complete failure, in myself.
Despite my symptoms worsening as I get older (i'm now 42) I cannot take control of my food choices and my symptoms affect every aspect of my day and life.
I was once able to quit wheat and sugar for about a year but then met my now husband, fell off the wagon and have never been able to get back on. In fact I feel my symptoms were worse after giving up and starting eating gluten and sugar again.
I'm absolutely desperate for help with this addiction, as some days things get so bad physically and mentally I cant see forward.
Anyway, as difficult as this has been to write (that's how strong this stupid addiction is!) I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and hoping beyond hope for a way forward.
Elsa

Redhead65

• View Profile
Re: twenty five year addict desperate for help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling miserable. When you first stopped eating wheat a long time ago, did you still continue eating the other grains? At first I did not want to believe it myself, but it really helps a lot more to stop all grains. Only when I had stopped eating any types of grains did i regain control over my eating. All my life before I had felt that my stomach is my boss and that I have no say in when I am going to stop eating.
When I eat grain-free and relatively low carb, I am the boss of my stomach, and I can stop eating when I want. This is like a miracle for me, but it really works. You have to make a decision. If it is hard for you and you think "no, I cannot do it forever", do it like in alcoholics anonymous. Say "only today and only for 24 hours I will eat no grains".

Stopping to eat sugar is of course also an excellent idea. You have to check whether you manage both at the same time or whether you end up putting too much on your plate. Rome was not built in a day.

Do you have the WB book and at least one of the WB cookbooks or some similar book? You need new ideas for  this new life style.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum Elsa!

Some people  find that L-Glutamine stops the cravings.  About 1000 mg. of this amino acid is the usual dose, but you start at 500 and increase if necessary. 

Read as much as you can here on this blog for delicious recipes, references and other helpful hints.  We've all been through this.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
Hello, Elsa:
  Both Barbara from NJ & Redhead65 gave you good pointers.
  If you want to turn things around, first, I would explain to DH that you want to return to this WOE (Way Of Eating) and ask for his support in your endeavor. Whether or not he wants to join you or not isn't important right now, as he may not need to lose weight. If he doesn't need to lose weight, then you will need to cook differently for both of you, but there isn't any reason that you should have to do both 100% differently. Use recipes that can accommodate both of you from time to time, along with portion control.
  If your pantry has a lot of no-no's for you that are just plain too tempting, it's time to clear them out, if they are not expired, donate them to a food pantry, or put them into one of those barrels at the stores that have them specifically for food donations.
  For ideas on how to cook, I suggest purchasing 3 of Dr. Davis's books (If you don't already have them): (1) Wheat Belly, (2) Wheat Belly Cookbook, and (3) Wheat Belly 30 (minute or less) Cookbook. Unfortunately, these have not shown up in any libraries that I know of. Even today, I refer to his 1st book to refresh my mind, & to keep on track.
  Don't be discouraged if you don't lose weight at breakneck speed. No one is the same; some have good results quickly, others don't. It works that way for any food program, no matter what's involved with it. Remember, we all are different unto our own unique way.
  I am getting thisclose to the 50# mark myself, & feel good about that, no matter how long it took me to reach this level. Believe it or not, I still have clothes packed away that I should bring out, because nothing fits me anymore. Due to being busy taking care of my DH with his various health issues, I haven't been able to get at that stuff to put into the closet & clear out the things that I drown in.
  Another huge help are the appendixes at the back of his (Dr. Davis) books. Some of them are sites on the Internet. One that isn't mentioned is "Gourmet Girl Cooks", and "All Day I Dream about food". Once you have gotten the WB WOE down pat, you can also go through books or Internet sites on Paleo recipes to help. Their recipes often use grains that we should avoid, so be discretionary when you look through Paleo recipes. There are many that we can use, but be sure to pay attention to the ingredients above all.
  Elsa. you've come to the right place for encouragement and ideas. Good luck with the endeavor to use this WOE for your health and well-being!
  Trust me, the cravings will go away eventually.

ldyrdr

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum Elsa.  Glad you found us.  :)

You might look into taking a probiotic.  Here's an interesting study showing that probiotics can reduce negative thinking.   

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/probiotics-reduce-negative-thinking

elsa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,
thanks for the supportive and thoughtful replies. My brain is often foggy at the moment so it can take time for me to read everything, digest it, then find the energy to reply but here I am!
I have the wheat belly book, bought I quite a while ago but intend reading it again. I think a cook book is a great idea. I LOVE to cook and I think that is one of the issues for me; ie learning from scratch again. Also I get bored with limited food choices so some ideas will help.
I'm thinking of putting  a little program together for myself to ease myself gently. Before I do are there any already out there. I found the link about adding more fats in the first week which I have been trying to do.
Thanks,
Elsa

MissMel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »
Hi! I don't post often due to my long hours in the office but I felt compelled to offer some words of support.  I'm not a clinical nutritionist but I am a voracious reader of books and articles on gluten free and grain free eating.  I too felt kinda hopeless late 2014 and early this year as despite all of my knowledge about the harmful effects of wheat and sugar I was constantly struggling with the cravings and I had no energy and terrible brain fog.  I thought I was suffering from mild winter depression and stress burnout and I blamed myself, wondering why I couldn't resist the "carbage" despite all of my knowledge and that I had previously done well for six months and lost 30 pounds.

However in early 2015 I started having mild cardiac symptoms, problems with my balance and tingling hands.  When I finally went to the doctor it was discovered my thyroid was sluggish and I had a very severe B12 deficieny.  I wish I had gone for tests earlier when I simply had brain fog and a lot of fatigue. Six weeks of medication and supplements and I feel 1000 percent better and I'm 95% back on the wagon.

I suppose the point of this post is to remind everyone that it's not just as simple as making the decision not to eat this or that.  If something in your system is really out of whack or you're eating to cope with trauma, anger, stress etc it overpowers your intellect and you could care less if eating that cupcake was going to make you gain weight, grow hair on your face or give you a sixth toe (kidding of course).

So, hang in there Elsa.  It will get better.  Get your numbers checked and if everything is in order, start digging deeper to explore any emotional reasons why you might be struggling.  I still struggle occasionally with sugar to cope with stress, but I think committing to regular exercise could help me with that.

PS - Rita: very interesting study on probiotics.  Further support for the contention that the health of our gut has a big effect on our brain.  Thanks for that.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 05:16:27 AM »
MissMel's experience is really important to note.  Dr. Davis suggests various supplements (vitamins and minerals, pre/probiotics) as an addition to your daily grain-sugar free foods.  These really are critical because we don't get this nutrition from our food and water anymore and medications have caused all kinds of havoc. 

The learning curve for newbies is rather steep right now.  It does get easier as you go along.  Your food starts tasting better and your energy goes up.   Your need for prescription drugs goes down.  All good things will happen to your health, but be aware that you might have some adjustment issues while your body is changing back to normal.

elsa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
Hi Mismel,
Thanks for the response. Your post sounds like me!!! that was scary as I DO have a qualification in clinical nutrition!
Just to reassure you I have had everything checked recently and lots of time in the past, the gp always says there's nothing wrong with me and everything is fine! However that was really good advice.
Thankyou!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »

I've also been reading a lot about iodine and fluoride.   We need iodine to lift brain fog, but we're not getting it in our food.  And what is happening is that fluoride replaces the pathways that iodine would normally use in the body.  And since we get so much fluoride in our water and toothpaste and not enough in our diet, many people end up experiencing a lot of depression and brain fog.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11430087/Fluoride-in-drinking-water-may-trigger-depression-and-weight-gain-warn-scientists.html

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:41:08 AM »
Welcome to all the new people! WB is the best strategy for cycling off SAD, at least IMHO! I've been a sounding board for many family members, as well as friends who have adopted WB and one important thing I've noticed is the sooner you get over your sweet tooth, the better off you are in the long run. Oh....and pick up a cheap glucose meter, it really helps! Good luck!

elsa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »
Really interesting article Rita-my symptoms often fall in line thyroid symptoms but the gp always says theres nothing wrong. Will have to look into our water region!

elsa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »
Hi
just wanted to check in at the one week point!
I'm actually doing ok on my little steady protocol and have had no wheat this week.
I've allowed myself gluten free products at the start of my journey as i've gone cold turkey before and it has always been disastrous (note to self -learn from mistakes!)
I've been adding in fats and generally drinking more water and getting my meals steady instead of snacking.
Next week will be more of the same but with the addition of probiotic and more exercise.
elsa

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
Good for you Elsa!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
Elsa, sounds like you have a plan...good job!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »

Sponsored Links