This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Raw nuts vs. roasted nuts  (Read 2087 times)

JaneEBB

• View Profile
Raw nuts vs. roasted nuts
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
Hi, Just started WB eating plan.  I'm confused about nuts.  Dr. Davis says "raw nuts".  Is eating roasted nuts bad?  Should I stick with "raw" nuts?  I don't buy the honey roasted or anything like that - just roasted and the ingredient say "almonds" as the only thing contained in the package.   Can someone help me with the confusion?  thanks so much and look forward to this life change!  :)

Jane

Redhead65

• View Profile
Re: Raw nuts vs. roasted nuts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »
I would stick with raw nuts, as Dr. Davis says. Often the texture/structure of things change when you heat them up, or you have to be careful that you do not heat something up too much.
I do not know exactly what Dr. Davis reasons are, but for me there is no benefit in roasting. If I spice the nuts, I might eat more than I had wanted to. If the nuts are sprinkled with sugar, the blood sugar goes up.

If I were you, I would at least not buy anything roasted, unless it is organic and gluten-free. Some roasted stuff is sprinkled with something that contains gluten and makes the nuts taste more crunshy.

Unroasted nuts are also cheaper.

Don't repeat my mistake and buy unblanched almonds. I cought a paket that contained several bitter almonds. I could feel the hydrogen cyanide on my tongue. It was disgusting. (The packet was organic. Removing the skin from almonds is also no fun. It is so time-consuming. I think you call this more pain than gain.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »

Jane,

Welcome to the forum!

I seem to remember that Dr. Davis' objection to roasted nuts was that they were roasted in the oils we avoid.  You really have to read the labels to see what oils were used for roasting.  Usually there are several listed, all of them not in your best interest to eat.  Also, check and double check the "dry roasted" variety of  nuts.  Not only are the cheap oils used, but lots of wheat, sugar and MSG. 

Many times the nuts are blanched which removes skins and limits any toxins. 

Nuts do have carbs, so you might want to keep an eye on the amounts you are eating.  There are many recipes for spiced nuts you would spice and roast yourself.  If you live near a Trader Joe's, they have a fairly good selection of nuts at reasonable prices. 

This blog has many recipes and recommendations for provisions. 
Keep us posted on your progress.

JaneEBB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
Thank you so much!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
Jane,

You might find Wheat Free Market Foods a helpful resource.  They have "muffins in a minute" and several pre-made mixes that are good as you start out.  Their sugar substitute is excellent.  Actually, all their products are good.  Check the Wheat Belly blog for the web site. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »

Sponsored Links