This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Cheat Days?  (Read 1925 times)

Nimby

• View Profile
Cheat Days?
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
I have been free of wheat for 80 days now and I shoot for 30-50 carbs per day. For the last month or so I've had a few cheat days. I count calories on these days, not carbs. I can eat any food that I want (I don't consider wheat a food) as long as I stay under 1500 calories. I have potatoes or rice and sometimes indulge in those gluten free processed foods that litter the grocery store. I feel wonderful afterwards and I think that I've broken a couple weight loss plateaus with this.

My question to the more experienced: Am I sabotaging my health by undoing the previous 10 days of (at least partial) keto by having sometimes 200 carbs in a day? I would love to integrate planned cheat days 2 or 3 times a month if this is not harming my overall health.

For me, weight loss (although desperately needed) is just a side effect of this prescription from Dr. Davis. My blood pressure went from 163/100 to 134/90, my wrists work again, my sleep apnea is gone, the debilitating postprandial panic attacks have stopped, heartburn and constipation used to be a daily problem. IN 80 DAYS

Thanks for reading.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Cheat Days?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »
Welcome Nimby,
Congrats on your first 80 days and to the improvements you've experienced! As to the 'cheat days' question.....you might consider getting a glucose meter, check your readings and let that be your guide......with a goal of little to no change after meals.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
re: ... you might consider getting a glucose meter ...

And if the budget allows, consider an HbA1C meter.

The consequences of cheats on HbA1c tend to be more sobering. You will need to decide on a target.

HungryinTN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on your own body, to a certain degree, exactly how much harm vs. good you might be doing with higher-carb days. My personal experience, as a woman of child-bearing age (one of the only ones on the forum) is that my body needs to have higher carb cycles (50-100 g/day) and that constant keto was more destructive for me. Apparently the liver needs glycogen to process estrogen, or something like that (I think maybe Rita knows a better explanation?). When I was trying to stay in NK all the time, ultimately I threw my hormones all out of whack, leading to uncontrollable carb cravings - the kind that lead to junk binges, which only leads to more junk binges. If I had been more diligent about increasing carbs more frequently, and for longer periods, using sweet potatoes and maybe rice, I might have avoided a situation that ultimately led to an irregular cycle (sorry, tmi) and a weight rebound of almost thirty pounds. But I think men and older women don't have the same needs that I do, so many of our forum members have been highly successful with constant keto. That said, having occasional, controlled, "cheat" days (while still avoiding gluten and probably corn and processed sugars or whatever your personal "trigger" foods may be) might be good for just about anyone who struggles with hormone-driven cravings, no matter your age or sex. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »
Nimby,

Everyone has different needs and medical histories.  Grains and sugar are the enemy, not just the carbs beyond the 50 per day Dr. Davis recommends.
The goal is to keep your blood sugar stable.  That is why Jan and Boundless recommend using a meter.  When you eat the grains  and sugar, you also interfere with your intestinal bacteria and having your liver use sugar for fuel instead of fat.  It makes normalizing every chemical process in your body much harder to do. Grains and GMO corn and soy have varying other harmful effects so they really need to be avoided as much as possible.

As with any way of eating, you do the best you can to adhere to the basic rules.  Don't beat yourself up over your "cheats".  Your body will let you know quite quickly whether or not it likes what you are feeding it.  Some people need more carbs, some people don't.  There are even people who thrive on few, if any, carbs at all.

Nimby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
Thank you so much for the input. My fasting BG is in the low 70's and I never thought to chart it after eating specific things. Do I look for no change or do I need to have a specific number in mind?

The higher carb days seem to energize me. If I could allow them and not harm my progress, then that would be great. I just refuse to do anything to damage my long term health.

I have lost 12 people on my mother's side of the family in the past 25 years. Every one of them have died from complications of T2D.  I religiously watch my fasting glucose. It never occurred to me to monitor after eating.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:43:57 AM »
Dr. Davis has stated in the past that anytime blood sugar ranges above 100 mg/dl, you glycate proteins.....the higher the blood sugar, the greater the glycation.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:43:57 AM »

Sponsored Links