This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Don't Give Up!  (Read 2124 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Don't Give Up!
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
Was just checking out the Wheatbelly Blog, and after reading this entry, thought I'd go ahead and post it, because it touches on a subject I've been wanting to discuss.  It's so difficult, when the scale doesn't move, after eating clean and strictly WB.  Read the comments, and see what I mean.  The difference in his face is amazing, and his comment clearly states the facts - what goes on in our bodies is not always visible on the scale in numbers, but it sure it measurable in other ways!

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/05/lose-the-wheat-and-grains-lose-the-inflammation/

Inflammation is something we all deal with, some more than others I think.  My joints hurt so much, when I ingest any form of grains and sugar lately.  I know we become more sensitive to these poisons, once we live clean for a while.  But the good thing is - it doesn't take long to get back to pain free again, at least for me.  It's very motivating, but also a bit dangerous, because sometimes the thought that crossed my mind is - well, I can be bad this once and then go back right away to eating well, and I'll be well again!  I just lost my good health insurance, but signed up for ACA health plan.  It's costing me three fold what I paid through my company health plan, but it's ok, since I intend to stay healthy and not need any medical care.  Doesn't mean I don't want to be insured for the emergencies though.  I went through hell trying to get private insurance plan before this change in law, was kicked off the plan after paying in for years, just because my daughter developed allergies and needed medication, after Asthma symptoms appeared.  Which coincidentally, have disappeared completely, now that she lives grain free!!  She also lost her anxiety attacks a very debilitating condition that scared us to no end, thinking she was having a stroke or heart attack!

So, just as a quick reminder and for those who don't follow the blog daily, I wanted to say - keep at it and don't let the lack of fast weight loss on the scale detract you - there are things going on in your body, GOOD THINGS - that are well worth the effort!

:D

Loanne

• View Profile
Re: Don't Give Up!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »
Thanks for this post, Barb.  I've been kind of despondent lately that my weight loss has virtually stopped, and I think it has to do with the cream in my coffee.  In reading Dr. D's new post, I was going thru the things that could possibly have stalled it.  One could be the high blood pressure medication, which I'm trying to cut down effective today, with Doc's OK.  And checking my BP every day.  We'll see if I have bad side effects of cutting 100mg in half.  My digestive system is much better, with the prebiotics and probiotics every day.  I guess I need to realize that I ate badly for many years and only just the past year and half been without wheat, processed food, and sugar.  Oh and my LDL count was down almost 40 points!  Doc still wanted me to take statins.  NOT!  So, maybe the cream is keeping me from losing these last 50 or so pounds.   :-\

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:34:02 PM »
Loanne,
You might consider doing a zero carb strategy (no plant foods) for 30 days. I posted an interview with the Andersens earlier 'Zero carb Interview'....lots of LCHF with stalled weight or other unresolved medical issues with WB, found relief going ZC. You can always add things back in to see how your body reacts. Just a thought.....

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 06:55:00 AM »
Loanne,

I agree with Jan, going zero carb for a while can do wonders - or going commando as my daughter calls it, haha!

Doesn't mean you can't every have a bit of lettuce, cabbage, a little celery in tuna salad etc.  At least for me, it doesn't.  There are some folks that literally ingest only beef and water!  I've done that intermittently, and have to say it's so easy and takes away so many decisions - esp. makes shopping quite simple.   8)

I do hope you are measuring too, and trying on old clothes that hadn't been fitting, this happens to me when I'm eating strictly clean:  even at the same weight, inches are melting, and I can fit into a smaller size than I had been wearing before. 

I hope this happens for you, it's such a good feeling!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Great share Barb.   Eating healthy is so much more than just for the purpose of losing weight. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:54:25 AM »
Thanks so much for the encouragement!  Zero carb it is!  I have fasted for 24 hours before, mainly because I just wasn't hungry.  I'm down 90 lbs still and haven't gained any, but I have at least 50 more to go.  And I am happy to feel better and know that I'm doing the best I know how for my health!  I've NEVER been this healthy, I'm sure.  My mom used to make a dozen loaves of white bread every weekend when I was little...then she'd save some dough for fried bread...I love all that stuff.  But am very happy to use nut and coconut flours for my bread now.  I think part of my down feeling past few days is that it's Mother's Day on Sunday...and I sure miss my mom.  She's been gone now for about 7 years.  And I haven't had the urge to just bury my face in a pie for the past year and a half, but I have had that urge lately.  Thanks again.

Blessed2BeeAlive

• Creative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
Where to post this?  Frustration has been setting in & I really desire to regain my health again.  I'm new here @ this 4um & desire help & caring people who will lead the way.

I had a dr that was promoting the WB diet in our area tell me not to take probiotic's when I have issues with ulcers & besides not being able to eliminate inches & weight after 20 lbs lost, I've since then been considering other diets.  Still eating according to the WB diet, just not so happy abt it, as I had been originally.  I had seen a video of the man who wrote the WB diet, that said if one needs to take probiotics, to take them.  The dr (or so called) who promoted the WB diet in our area, I've not been in touch with due to him telling me I ought not to take probiotic's & due him not returning my call, when he promised he would: I'm just really frustrated @ this & I do not know where to turn to for help.  I have ulcers & I have issues & allergies to certain foods & I desire to be healthy again.
:)
Cyndi

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »
Hi Loanne, I think you've  done an amazing job losing the 90 lbs - and what's more:  maintaining your loss!!!  That is such a great feat, thinking about all the times I've lost the weight, but then eventually gained it all back, due to not sticking with the right way to eat.  So many temptations out there, and so easy to let go and join the SAD crowd.  :-\  Just wanted to send you some KUDOS on that - and I know it's frustrating to have more you want to lose, but you know you can do it, it will just take time.  Time will go by, no matter what, so stick to your guns and think of it as "health" rather than "weight", as you've defined it, and all will be well!   ;D

I am really sorry you lost your Mom so young, I feel your sadness it helped me be esp. nice to my Mom yesterday, thinking that I might lose her soon, and it was not a nice thought.  It made me sad too.  We have to remember to treasure those we love, while we have them with us!!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »
Where to post this?  Frustration has been setting in & I really desire to regain my health again.  I'm new here @ this 4um & desire help & caring people who will lead the way.

I had a dr that was promoting the WB diet in our area tell me not to take probiotic's when I have issues with ulcers & besides not being able to eliminate inches & weight after 20 lbs lost, I've since then been considering other diets.  Still eating according to the WB diet, just not so happy abt it, as I had been originally.  I had seen a video of the man who wrote the WB diet, that said if one needs to take probiotics, to take them.  The dr (or so called) who promoted the WB diet in our area, I've not been in touch with due to him telling me I ought not to take probiotic's & due him not returning my call, when he promised he would: I'm just really frustrated @ this & I do not know where to turn to for help.  I have ulcers & I have issues & allergies to certain foods & I desire to be healthy again.

Cyndi,

regarding the ulcers and digestive issues, are there certain foods that seem to aggregate the symptoms?  HAve you eliminated all grains?  What is a typical day in your diet, can you list foods you like to eat a lot, and how much of the good fats are you eating?

Also, did the doctor give you a reason for not recommending probiotics at this time?

Just wondering, I'm not really familiar with Ulcers, but there could be other things that are causing you pain or discomfort.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »

Sponsored Links