This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New at this...Have a question  (Read 6810 times)

Samantha1964

New at this...Have a question
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
Hi there. My name is Samantha and I'm on fourth week of wbd. I love the food, hunger is satisfied.. compared to before. I have not lost a single pound which is discouraging but I keep trekking on. I eat only the "allowed" foods with no cheating. According to my FitnessPal calculator I am consuming about 2300 calories per day.
One thing I really enjoy is the flaxseed muffin in a minute. I top it with natural peanut butter and less than a tablespoon of E.D. Smith No sugar added syrup (sweetened with sucralose"? Is this ok? I would like any words of advice or encouragement. Thx

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: New at this...Have a question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:29:23 AM »
Hi Samantha,

I can understand your frustration.  I'm sure you have come across all the info regarding what else could be the cause of your lack of measurable loss on the scale.

Have you measured?  Is your clothes fitting better?  Have you had any remarkable improvements in health and well being?

I wonder if you would share more about your size, for instance, do you really have a lot to lose, or are you close to healthy weight?  How tall? 

I know that thyroid and insulin resistance can have a lot to do with weight stalling, so that might something to investigate and have checked.  Do you have a BG measuring device? 

Just wanted to say hi and welcome and hope some of the other, more informed folks will come to your rescue.

Maybe also post what else you're eating, I do think it's best to let go of the sweet stuff for a while, to get blood glucose leveled out if that's the problem.

Best,
Barbara

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:16:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum! 

Dr. Davis discusses this issue at length on his blog or in his books.  The basic idea when first starting is to count carbohydrates.  The basic rule is 50 per day.  Increased fat intake will help, especially coconut oil. 

That syrup is not the best to use.  Surcralose should be avoided.  There are many other substitutes available.  You have to remember that all grains are destructive and tend to be highly glycemic.  This quick raise in blood sugar is to be avoided so your liver can adapt to utilizing fat for energy instead of the sugar you are ingesting.  It can take weeks for you liver to adapt so you should be careful about everything you eat.

Samantha1964

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »
Thanks so much for your replies. I am 5'7 and I currently weigh 185 pounds. In the last 2 weeks I have cut out dairy as well as I was not losing weight. Other than that I eat 2 flaxseed muffins in a mug a day with natural peanut butter and a bit of ED Smith syrup. As of today, I will be cutting that syrup out. I also only eat raw almonds or cashews for snacks. I have made a wheat belly muffin for snacks as well (without the fruit). For dinner I may have boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh with steamed broccoli. I have not had any cheats at all in the past month (unless that syrup is a cheat?)
When I first started WB I was making the WB Pumpkin Spice muffins every couple of days (so good) but cut that out. I have made the WB pancakes twice. I always have water with me and other than a cup of coffee in the morning, that is all I drink.
I want to continue, I love this way of eating. I used to be hungry all day but now I can go for many hours before I want to snack on almonds.
I am on medications that stall weight loss, but if you read my first post, I have been on the medications for years and I was able to lose and maintain (for 2 years) a 30 pound loss on Phase 1 of SB diet.
I am considering my age (now 51). Maybe some other women have some input on that.  :-\
I will look for a place to post my stats..and a photo. Thank you all.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »
Hi Samantha,

thanks for the update and now some things do come to mind.  While you clearly want to lose more weight, and probably fast, you might be getting close to a "set point" - are you familiar with that term?  our bodies are pretty intent to not let go of fat too fast.  Reading what you eat makes me want to say - go keto for a while, eat much more fat, and let of of the nuts and flax etc. just in case that's what is stalling you.

Coincidentally, I just got this email alert from Dr. Eades of Protein Power fame, his blog is quite informative, and he gave notice of the following books, that are on sale for $3 each for Kindle. 
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/case-missed-last-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+drmikenutritionblog+%28The+Blog+of+Michael+R.+Eades%2C+M.D.%29

I bought Keto Adapted, and The World Turned Upside Down, and might also get Keto Blocks: 40 Factors this might help, although I haven't read it yet, obviously, but it sounds right up our alley. 
http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Blocks-Factors-contributing-possible-ebook/dp/B00U398QXQ/ref=pd_cp_351_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AGFMR4PA6YRWM76DESM

So did you lose any inches at all?  Clothes fitting better?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
Welcome Samantha!
It often takes the body awhile to adapt to an entirely different eating strategy so don't be too hard on yourself! In the beginning, it was helpful for me to keep a food log and also use a glucose meter to check my BS. You may also want to re-think the 'skinny meat' and go for fatty red meat....it keeps you satiated! Good luck!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:03 AM »
Hi Samantha,

hope you are well!  I've been thinking about you, and hope you don't mind I put some of the thoughts down here.  For one thing, I am not sure about the flaxseed muffins and other baked good you've been eating a lot of, as you say.  It night be a really good idea to eat just very "clean" for a week or two, and then add things in gradually again, to see if you can weed out the reason you have stalled for such a long time, in spite of giving up all grains and sugar.

Do start a personal journal, it allows you to put all your info in a place that's easy to find for those who want to refresh their memory of what you had previously posted. 

Also, I think I mentioned this blog somewhere else, but don't remember where now.  This lady has much bigger problems than most of us, and has already (if I read it correctly) lost almost 300 lbs.  This is amazing, her motivation is to avoid gastric bypass or lap band surgery.  She has been eating Zero carbs, just meat and water, for the past 32 days, and this latest update sums it up pretty well - after a long stall she has started losing weight again, and not just that - it's almost all fat!  That's really amazing and might give you a way to get going again, I don't think it can hurt. 

Take a look, she is really witty, and to me quite motivating!

http://badass-carnivore.com

Samantha1964

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
Barb, thank you for thinking about me. I deleted my last post (not sure if you read it) because it was way too much info. But, I did mention that I was to travel and see my neurologist on Thursday. Long story short (I've been seeing him for years), he is concerned about my severe migraines and how they are much more frequent than usual. For the first time, he has prescribed a short (5 day) treatment of prednisone and Frova (triptan drug) to see if that breaks the migraine cycle and inflammation. Anyway, I have decided this week to give myself a break (prednisone might cause weight gain), continue how I am eating and perhaps take a different stance next week. I also have to have oral surgery this Wednesday...I know, TMI, again.
ANYWAY, I have health issues....lol
I did look at carnivore lady's blog. Today when I did groceries and I walked by the meat department, I "looked" at the steaks and hamburger meats and then bought two huge packages of BS chicken thighs and didn't remove the fat.
I will post again after I've finished this treatment plan...

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 05:54:01 AM »
Good morning, Samantha - and no, I hadn't seen the post, but glad you're feeling free to post things that are important for us to know.  I understand the feeling of TMI - i do it all the time!  And I've also deleted some things I felt were sharing too much.  However, I feel it's important to get the whole picture, if we want to give informed input, and that's why I was suggesting a personal diary or journal, so it's all in one place.  I thought I remembered you mentioning migraines, but wasn't sure.  That seems to be a very stubborn thing to get rid of, my daughter just yesterday had one out of the blue, and she has been eating as clean as can be, as far as I know.  She will text me "Mom, I have another one of those headaches, ugghhh" and I try to fix it for her, asking what she ate, did she sleep, does she have allergies and she will just say "I don't need you to troubleshoot, just wanted to tell you ".  She's had a long history of issues, symptoms galore, and almost all were eventually resolved with eating as low carb as possible.  She stopped eating the flaxseeds a while back, just in case, it can cause hormonal problems, but one just never knows what exactly is causing what, unless it's obvious and can be pinpointed.  And you know what?  I just remembered she went out to eat with a friend Thursday evening and I forget to ask her what she ate!!  I did say - is it possible you were glutened? - she just said no.  If you're very sensitive, even the smallest slip up will set the symptom ball rolling ...

Anyway, please free to share anything you like, even though this place is very quiet at times, many folks are reading and will come in and give advice and share their experience, if you give it time.  It can be very enlightening, people love to help and you never know, we all keep learning throughout life and someone else's experience might give you just the insight you needed, to help yourself.

So I don't remember you don't like red meat? Or won't eat for "health reasons?" That's ok, chicken is fine, though I would suggest - if you can afford it - to get the organic pastured chicken, a world of difference, both in taste and also not full of the toxic GMO stuff the commercial chicken is fed.  Make the skin nice and crispy and eat it before you eat any of the meat, is my advice. 

Good luck with your oral surgery and the neurologist, sure wish you didn't have to take the meds, but when you are rid of the migraines, let us help you get back on track!

Best ~ Barb  :)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 07:34:08 AM »
re: ... E.D. Smith No sugar added syrup (sweetened with sucralose"? Is this ok?

Not really. The sucralose alone disqualifies it (gut biome antagonist). Sucralose was removed from the WB list of approved alternative sweeteners a couple of years ago.

It's "no sugar added" and not "sugar free". The concentrated white grape juice is basically just a sugar with a misleading description.

Several other ingredients would require more research than the product merits, including: tartaric acid, sorbic acid, potassium sorbate and sodium hexametaphosphate.

The "caramel colour, natural and artificial flavours" could be anything.

May I suggest Nature's Hollow sugar free syrups.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
For those with persistent head ache issues, you might explore eliminating nightshades for abit.....you could have an intolerance.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
Welcome, Samantha, we are glad to have you.  Hope you find some relief for those migraines, nasty things.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
Welcome, Samantha:
  Headaches are an awful pain to have. Mine aren't migraines, but they are terrible when they show up. On a chance, I was having a conversation with some lady in a grocery store, and she brought up something rather interesting.
  She mentioned that if one becomes dehydrated, that can bring on a severe headache. She said to try drinking more water (I don't care to drink water, never did); but the next time there was a headache, I took her advice, just to see if that would help. Lo & behold, it did help. After drinking some ice water, 30 minutes or so, the headache was nearly gone. Another 30 minutes, it was entirely gone! So far, I have tried this twice already, both times, the headache was gone. Cheap remedy, if I may say so. No pills whatsoever, just ice & water. 
  This may or may not work for everyone, but it's worth a try. Can't hurt. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
ldyrdr...I read that just a few days ago...that dehydration can cause headaches.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
re: ... E.D. Smith No sugar added syrup (sweetened with sucralose"? Is this ok?

Not really. The sucralose alone disqualifies it (gut biome antagonist). Sucralose was removed from the WB list of approved alternative sweeteners a couple of years ago.

It's "no sugar added" and not "sugar free". The concentrated white grape juice is basically just a sugar with a misleading description.

Several other ingredients would require more research than the product merits, including: tartaric acid, sorbic acid, potassium sorbate and sodium hexametaphosphate.

The "caramel colour, natural and artificial flavours" could be anything.

May I suggest Nature's Hollow sugar free syrups.

Bob: I just looked at the natureshollow site on the sugar free syrups. They use xylitol as the sweetener. What disturbs me is the fact that they don't carry a warning about the fact that this stuff is fatal to animals, especially dogs.

Drop a piece of pancake on the floor, & Fido gulps it down (some animals like sweet stuff) in a hurry like they do, and it doesn't take much xylitol to do it's deadly deed.

Recently, there was a news article about a dog that was given a piece of chewing gum (dumb idea to begin with) that had xylitol as the sweetener in it. The dog died from it shortly thereafter. Sad, & the owners were not aware of what xylitol does to animals.     

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »
re: I just looked at the natureshollow site on the sugar free syrups. They use xylitol as the sweetener. What disturbs me is the fact that they don't carry a warning about the fact that this stuff is fatal to animals, especially dogs.

Yep, and there's nothing on the product packaging either. Typical bags of raw xylitol usually only have a small footnote that says "don't feed to dogs or pets" without explaining why. We don't even feed leftovers to our chickens if there was any xylitol involvement.

Anyone looking at alternative sweeteners needs to do more than just throw a dart at one. They need to do a little research, and they will usually turn up this issue on xylitol.

Your PTFE (Teflon) cookware probably didn't have a warning for bird owners. If you overheat it, it results in an ex-parrot pretty quickly, and it ain't all that great for you either.

It's a dangerous world out there.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
Samantha, I've read that magnesium is recommended for migraines too. You might research that.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »

Sponsored Links