This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Pork  (Read 3363 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Pork
« on: May 21, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »
An interesting article posted today on pork.....

http://zerocarbzen.com/pork/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Pork
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »
Jan,

How interesting this article was!  Too bad they didn't name additional foods that contain blood clotting lectins.  I wonder when scientists will learn exactly what the toxin actually causes the blood clotting problem.  The fact that the researchers used the meat of pastured animals is fine.  The problem, as I see it, is that most available pork is from CAFO's and the animals aren't exactly in the healthiest condition and their meat supposedly doesn't contain all the nutrients that pastured animals have. I wonder if there would be a difference? 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 05:48:37 AM »
Wow!  This is quite interesting, to say the least and will definitely affect how I feed myself and the family going forward.  Just had pork chops last night, as a matter of fact and the meat they used WAS pastured (mine is not). 

Will try marinating in apple cider vinegar for the next batch, I have in freezer.  Wonder how that will affect taste?

There are many religions and cultures that forbid eating pork, wonder if they knew something in ancient times, that science is just now detecting? 

Thanks for sharing, I had not seen that one .  :o

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:24:36 AM »
BarbinNC,

The marinade can be ACV or any vinegar I think.  The vinegar is an acid and tenderizer.  Salt was also used.  You can make a brine of salt and water for your pork chops.  They will taste good and be tender as well.  You can add any flavorings you want to the marinade.

That is a good way to use up your sea salt so you can buy the uncontaminated RealSalt or Himalayan Salt.   :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »
Yes, I'm fascinated by this revelation as well! We tend not to eat as much pork (except for bacon!) as we do beef, but I never thought to check BS after consuming different types of meat before. Has anyone done this?

Could turn out that religious dietary restrictions with regard to pork might have had a basis in nutritional dogma.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:47:35 AM »
Jan,

HOW did they know that thousands of years ago?  Maybe God DID tell them!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
I would have never thought of this one.  I guess I'll have to check my blood next time I eat pork.  If anyone else does, let us know what you find out.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »
Lynda....keep us posted on your BS if you test.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
I will, too bad we just finished a nice tenderloin, too.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »
And for next week I'm planning pork chops in the crockpot with fire roasted tomatoes, basil, garlic, S&P. How's that gonna taste if marinated in vinegar?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 05:42:26 PM »
Deanna,

Let the pork chops sit in a salt water brine overnight.  Adjust the salt content of your dish at the end of cooking it.  The study did say that the brine was as effective as the vinegar.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
re: Could turn out that religious dietary restrictions with regard to pork might have had a basis in nutritional dogma.

For most of the 20th century, it was thought that the dogma had somehow noticed the correlation between pork consumption and trichinosis. According to wiki, this view fell out of favor. That's not surprising, as there would have been a number of dots to connect over a long period.

Given the prompt fatigue effects, and the blood effects described, there may have been more rapid reactions that made for quicker correlations. In particular, I'd expect that a lot of historical heart attacks and strokes might have happened right after pork consumption. That would tend to get the attention of anyone who'd observed a few instances.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »

Sponsored Links