This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Castile Soap  (Read 3888 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Castile Soap
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
Does anyone use Castile soap for body soap? I've read that it's made from olive oil. But I've also read that it can be made from any vegetable oil.

I'm also interested in kinds/brands of the following that y'all use:
Laundry detergent
Toothpaste
Makeup, moisturizer, etc.
Shampoo
Hair conditioner
Any other beauty supplies or cleaners that you use

I'm paring down my cleaners now. Every time I use one up I'm substituting a safer product. I think I'll be able to use vinegar for most things. I already use vinegar as a fabric softener. I plan to replace my Windex with a vinegar solution for bathrooms, replace my ammonia with vinegar for mopping the floors. I'll prObably keep Comet because it works best on my shower and toilet bowls.

Do you use furniture polish or maybe just a damp microfiber cloth?

Anything else?

All info is appreciated.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Castile Soap
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »
Deanna....I'm sure lots will chime in on their preferred products.....but here's a start.

Laundry and some cleaning soaps, dishwasher etc., we use Seventh Generation products.(I like the fact that several come in cardboard containers). Although on my hardwood floors, my girls use Murphy oil soap, I use Dr. Bronners in soap dispensers and often use for other stuff too. Hydrogen peroxide in toilets.....also good when mixed with water on granite counters.

Toothpaste.....Himalayan herbal in addition we use a charcoal toothpaste for whitening....also coconut oil. My husband still insists on using mouthwash and it's probably awful stuff!

Hair: Moroccan Argan oil products although sometimes I do use a purple shampoo I get from my hairdresser to lift the blond highlights....probably filled with horrible things but it works! Can't be worse than what's used to get the blond highlights in the first place! 8)

I started using a new facial line this year: Eminence which I really like.....also use coconut oil and Emu oil when I need a sunscreen.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
Hi Deanna,

I use Dr. Bronners Castile Soap for nearly everything.  Vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are used mainly in the bathroom and on my hardwood floors.  I then wash with the castile soap.  Laundry too.  Chlorine bleach is used outside to clean outdoor furniture when I power wash. 

It took me a long time to use up all the assorted cleansers.  What a racket!  Now my cabinet under the sink is relatively empty and I have spray bottles with the vinegar, peroxide and castile soap.  Simple.  Easy.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
So far I just have castile soap in the bathroom for hand washing.  Haven't tried it for anything else yet.  I use vinegar and water, lemon, hydrogen peroxide, and Seventh Generation.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
Could you fill me in on the process of using vinegar as a cleaner for hardwood floors? Sounds interesting!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
I was told to use vinegar water for hardwood floors many years ago at my old house, by a wood floor refinisher.  I just add a splash to the water and use a mop with terry cloth refills, wring it out and wipe, following with dry cloth, if too wet. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:24:11 AM »
Thats the "recipe".  If the floor is really, really dirty, then you might add a splash of castile soap to the water.  Remember, you have to wipe it with clean water to remove any residue.  My floors are over 100 years old.  Some are maple, but most are oak.  They sparkle with very little work.   ;D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 12:12:53 PM »
I use peroxide on all my glass surfaces. No residue and your cloth washes nice and clean, too.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
Thanks guys...lots of good info to pursue.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »
I think my daughter uses Castille soap for her baby, and herself, as well.  Didn't think of it as a cleaner, but good idea!  have to ask her about that. 

She used some spray on her bathroom the other day, that must have had chorine in it.  Horrible stuff and she said she had some asthma symptoms later on, not enough to use her inhaler, but enough to make her throw it out immediately!

I like the peroxide info, had never used that!

Really good suggestions, keep them coming. 

What about boric acid, or Boron>?  Anyone use that,  is it safe?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »
I wonder if you could use the liquid Castile soap as a shampoo...or even the bar soap...what do y'all think?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »
Deanna,

Yes, you can use this as a shampoo and body soap.  It is very gentle on the skin.  I have used Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps for many years. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
Barbara, I didn't order Dr. Bronner's. I ordered Kirk's Castile bar soap and Dr. woods liquid Castile soap (tea tree). They were cheaper. Also ordered Seventh Generation laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent. Do you use Castile soap for laundry? I'm trying to consolidate as many things as I can. Thanks!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 04:37:08 PM »
Deanna,

I have that new kind of front loading water saving washing machine so I need to use the special detergents made for that.  If you have the top loading machine then you can use the castile soap. 

Each brand of castile soap has a slightly different quality to it. Dr. Bronner's has been available for a very long time in stores around here and is often on sale.
I liked it and haven't tried anything else.  This is very concentrated so a little goes a long way.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 05:12:43 PM »
I've used hydrogen peroxide 3% for many years for all cuts, scrapes, and other skin wounds and irregularities. I used it internally for a while quite a long time ago (35% food grade). You have to be very careful with that...that it's diluted properly. DH just started using 35% internally for fungus on his toes (2 drops daily in water), along with 3% applied directly to toes. I've never really used H202 for cleaning except for removing red wine stains. Mix it with a little Dawn detergent and it works great. However several times lately I've used straight 3% H202 directly on several stains. It works great. I can't guarantee the safety of your fabric, but I haven't ruined anything yet.

REMINDER: NEVER USE 35% INTERNALLY UNLESS IT'S DILUTED PROPERLY. ITS VERY DANGEROUS.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
Do any of you know of a safe air freshener? I found a recipe (below), but I'd rather not have to mix.

Air freshener:[/size] Add a 1/2-teaspoon vinegar to a 4-ounce spray bottle, then fill with distilled water, plus a few drops of your favorite essential oil, if desired.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size](Note: I just looked again at how simple this is...I may see if I have any small spray bottles.)[/color]

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »
I tried something similar.  I think I put too much vinegar in it because it smelled more like vinegar than perfume.  I just wish I remembered how much I used.  I use peroxide bleach (non-chlorine type) on my clothes and it has worked just fine, even on colors occasionally.  I haven't had the courage to mix my own, the store one works well.  Bleach still does the best on whites but the non-chlorine isn't bad.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »
I've been using Kirk's Castile bar soap as a shampoo and body soap for about 5 weeks now. So far I love it. It lathers up really well and rinses out of my hair quickly and squeaky clean. Then I'm rinsing my hair with a vinegar/water solution. My hair is very clean and very soft.

I'm using vinegar & water 50/50 on toilets and lavatories and sometimes mirrors. I plan to use it on solid vinyl flooring after I use up my ammonia. I ordered Seventh Generation for laundry soap and dishwasher capsules. Then I ordered laundry soap from Clean Collection instead (cheaper) and I'm satisfied with it. I may try liquid Castile soap on laundry next or I may stick with the Clean.

I've been ordering from Vitacost. If you order $49, you get free shipping. So I'm getting as many things from there as I can...makes for much less grocery store shopping. And their nuts are better than our Walmart, coconut flakes are good. They carry many things our Walmart doesn't and have so far eliminated a stop at Whole Foods when we go to Little Rock. I'm all for simplifying.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
Deanna -  is your hair tangly at all after you do vinegar and water?   I have a hard time not using conditioner, as I just can't get a comb through my hair.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
Deanna, is there any residual odor? One of my earliest childhood memories was sitting behind a girl whose mother used vinegar on her hair and I could smell it.....could be she didn't cut it with water. Whatever, I've always been resistant to using it for that reason.....

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
Rita, no tangles. My hair is short. Is yours long?

Jan, no odor. Can't remember my ratio for vinegar and water...much less vinegar though. I found it online. Using vinegar as a fabric softener has no odor either.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »

Sponsored Links