This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Cole Slaw  (Read 1936 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Cole Slaw
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »
I've been on a cabbage kick lately.  Because of the hot weather, I've been making cole slaw.  I'll cut up an avocado, add some sliced meat or fish, salt and pepper, veggies and a generous amount of cole slaw.  This is really easy to digest and very filling.  It is easy to slice up the cabbage.  There are lots of dressing recipes on line.  I've posted one of my favorites.

COLE SLAW DRESSING

1 1/4 c. mayo  ( make my own)
1//4 - 1/3 C. sweetener  (to taste or leave it out)
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. creole seasoning or seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. dill weed

Blend together.  Refrigerate 1 hour for flavorings to meld together, then pour over your sliced cabbage.  Add some carrots if you want.  I always use the washed dark green leaves of the cabbage head, sliced really thin.  Dressing is good for a medium sized cabbage.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Cole Slaw
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:49:38 AM »
You know, we've been on a cabbage kick too. One of our favorites is seasoned ground beef, covered with lots of cabbage, with fire roasted tomatoes and plain diced tomatoes poured over. Simmer til the cabbage wilts down.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »
Deanna,

Nice, easy recipe.  Thanks! 

Well Fed and Well Fed 2 Cookbooks have lots of excellent cabbage recipes, many of them online.  Sometimes it is just too hot and humid outside to cook on the grill, so your recipe is welcomed.  It also seems easy to make a batch and then reheat for a really quick meal. 

Mellissa Joulwan has a blog site with many great recipes. www.theclothesmakethegirl.  I can't seem to get this address to work properly, so just search under her name, the cookbook names or "the clothes make the girl.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »
I like your idea with the ground beef, Deanna.  Nice and simple, just what I'm looking for these days.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »
Barbara, this looks really good!  Thanks for posting!  I know I really like ground beef with shredded cabbage stirred in, lots of seasonings.  yum!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
I can vouch for Barbara's slaw recipe, this is similar to my family's and is a delicious, simple one.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
Thanks Lynda,

I like this recipe too.  Sometimes I will use some sour cream or yogurt for part of the mayo.  Also, fresh dill (minced) is much better than the dried and minced onion can be added as well. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »

Sponsored Links