This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Finally here to introduce myself!  (Read 1792 times)

Greentree

• View Profile
Finally here to introduce myself!
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:57:45 AM »
Forgive me for not doing this sooner, please.

Hello!  I am a 56 yo woman, live in southern KY,  but Texan by birth.  I raise and train horses, and feed a couple of dogs, and 6 cats.  I love to garden, both flower and vegetable.  I have been married to the same man for 31 years.

The weekend after Thanksgiving last year, DH and I were "watching" One of our fabulous PBS stations, and Dr. Perlmutter came on, doing his Grain Brain show. I had vague recollections of him, but had never really listened. (I have a neighbor that I ride horses with who is 20 years younger, and she had given up wheat for joint pain....that was the extent of my wheat free life...)

DH was doing computer work while the show was on, and I had no idea he was listening. When the show ended, I was thinking, "How in the HECK am I going to get him to DO this?", when he looked over and said,"I'm game...". He was about 70 lbs overweight, with diabetes running strongly in his family, and him showing signs of Low blood sugar episodes.

I went to the pantry immediately. Sorted the many pastas, grain cereals, and rices into discard(open), and donate(unopened), cleaned out the freezer of frozen bread products, and never touched it again.
Then, I downloaded the book and read it.  I read Dr. Davis's books. I read his blog. When I told my wheat free neighbor, she loaned me several cookbooks. One was Well Fed, and this was the most in depth information on Paleo that I had seen, so I began to study that. (I have a science degree, and I love to study....)

Most of my life, I have had had a body image problem. I was a chubby elementary school child, the slimmed down(in hind site ), but never felt that way. When I gained weight with my pregnancy, a lot of it never left. When I discovered aerobics at a ladies only health club, I went 5 to 6 days a week, and lost 40 lbs.  When I had to give it up, the weight gradually came back. 

DH decided he wanted to lose weight, so we joined WW.  I lost 43 lbs there, hit goal weight, DH lost about 30, still 40 lbs short of his goal. He kept telling me I looked too skinny,  other people phrased it as you are NOT losing MORE, ARE YOu?? This just messed with my body image, and I put about 15 lbs on pretty quickly, then very gradually over about 6 years put the rest on.

The problem was, the ENTIRE time, I was TRYING to lose it.  I KNEW how, right?? I did it before!

I bought a BOdyBugg, thinking I MUST be lying to myself, cheating, lazy, SOMETHING .......there it was , in a lovely color printout....I took in 900 calories a day, and burned OVER 4000. Calories in, calories out, I should have lost almost A POUND A DAY, yet every time I got on the scale, it went up.
So, I took my lovely printout to my Doctor, and she agreed, something was not right, and ran blood work. (This BW turned out to not be covered by my insurance...) everything came back "normal". She wanted to run other things, but I could not afford the out of pocket expense. I accepted my lot in life, and carried on. In 2014, I had been trying to lose the 40 lbs for 11 years!

As soon as we cut the grains and sugar out, I felt better. I never had any withdrawal symptoms. In about 2 weeks, I had lost 3 inches off my waist(I had quit getting on the scale, it was too depressing, and started measuring my waist.) then, the weight started coming off. The weight , of course, was FALLING off of DH!!

I am now down 20 lbs, and continue slowly losing. The list of life improvements is WAY too long to list.
I have taken up dancing again. I can work horses all day, and not be sore and tired.

I am ashamed at my own field of study.....as I mentioned in the beginning, I have a degree in science, but what I actually have is a BS in Agriculture.....and I really think, apart from my animal studies, the BS DOES NOT stand for Bachelor of Science ANYMORE!!

Thanks for reading!!

Nancy

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Finally here to introduce myself!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
Welcome Nancy!

You're one of the lucky ones.....your husband (family) is onboard. It has to be a major challenge when you're the only one in the house eating this way. Your science background will be a great asset to this forum....welcome aboard.....

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »
Thanks, Jan! My DH is an outside salesman,  so I have no control over what he does when he leaves the house! If he had not recognized the results of the program immediately, he would not have stuck to this WOE. He LOVES a drive thru.....lol!

He has never been a good sleeper, always snored, and had some apnea. His joints hurt, and he was probably pre-diabetic.

We got our blood work done 6 months in, and his A1C was only 1 point into pre-diabetic, which informed him that he needs to quit driving through and eating French fries in the afternoon, lol. ( of course, he had heard this before......ahem...)

Now, he says he " preaches the WF Gospel" wherever he goes!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:27 AM »
Welcome Nancy.  Thank you for sharing your story.   

Body fat can be awfully stubborn unfortunately.   One thing that we also have are environmental toxins, and some people's bodies (mine included), have a hard time getting rid of toxins, which gets stored in body fat.   Until our bodies can get rid of the toxins, the fat stays put.

Minerals also play a huge role.  An iodine deficiency can make weight loss very difficult, especially if there is a lot of fluoride in the water.

Like you said, it's not a simple 'calories in - calories out' scenario.

I'm so glad you are joining our group.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »
Welcome Greentree!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:45:10 AM »
Welcome, Greentree, we are glad to have you.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:45:10 AM »

Sponsored Links