This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: No Mayo Potato Salad  (Read 2578 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
No Mayo Potato Salad
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:49:35 AM »
This is an excellent recipe.  A small amount will provide the butyrate bacteria for your gut biome.  You can add any vegetable you want to the potatoes for color.  Green beans is a good choice.

POTATO AND GREEN BEAN SALAD

Serves 4

1 lb very small baby potatoes (red, yellow or combination)
2 TBS olive oil
4 slices bacon cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 lb green beans trimmed or any other vege
juice from 1.2 lemon
1-2 TBS grainy mustard
S & P to taste

Scrub, but do not peel potatoes.  Cook them in salted, boiling water, until tender, about 10 minutes.  Drain.  Cut larger potatoes into quarter, halves or bite sized pieces.

Heat olive or coconut oil in a skillet large enough to hold the potatoes.  Cook about 5 minutes using medium heat.  Stir until coated.  Remove to mixing bowl.

Add bacon to skillet and cook until crisp.  Add the bacon to the potatoes.

Cook green beans or other vegetable in bacon drippings until just cooked, about 3 minutes.  Add to potatoes.

Mix lemon juice and mustard together then add to potatoes and toss gently.

S&P to taste

This can be served warm, room temperature or cooled,  but remember that butyrate increases when the potatoes are cooked and cooled. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: No Mayo Potato Salad
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »
I have only one thing to say:  YUM!  8)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »
If potatoes are fully cooked, only 10-15% of the starch repolymerizes to the resistant form.

Partially cooking (e.g. parboiling) is one approach for that, and seems to be what was done for this recent MDA recipe.

As an aside, I bought 3 jars of that Primal Kitchen mayo, and the family cook sez: too salty. Batch variation? Dunno.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »
Hi Boundless,

Good to know that the Primal Kitchen mayo was salty for your tastes.  I wonder if anyone on this forum has found that.

Are you saying that the potatoes have to be without any "dressing" to form the resistant starch?  The recipe you posted looks good too!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
re: Are you saying that the potatoes have to be without any "dressing" to form the resistant starch?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "dressing". To be sure, generic potato salad recipes often have added simple sugars, which obviously need to be avoided. Any of the WB alternative sweeteners suffice as substitutes.

But the elephant in the room is the tuber. Fully cooked potatoes might as well be sugar. They will spike BG. Re-cooling them only returns 10 to 15% of the digestible carbs to the resistant form. So the trick is to not fully cook the potato in the first place (and don't reheat cooled potatoes above 135F).

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »
Thank you Boundless.  The "dressing" is the spicing, oils or mayo added for flavor.  Potato salad is one of my favorite summertime dishes.  I've eaten quarter cup amounts to limit carbs and pig out on coleslaw instead.

Now i am understanding what you were saying:  undercook the potato!  Never reheat cooked potatoes over 135* to retain the resistant starch.  The temperature is crucial. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »

Sponsored Links