This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Rice Flour Question  (Read 1498 times)

masugr

• View Profile
Rice Flour Question
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
Because one of my children has "developed" "been diagnosed with" a wheat allergy this year, I am attempting to go wheat free.  It's been okay thus far, but I began by just cutting out breads, pastas, etc and eating grass feed meats, veggies and fruits.  We really want to expand our food, and I am an excellent baker (ironic since I can't use wheat products) so I am trying out using rice flour.  I intend to buy coconut to make flour and milk with on monthly shopping day, but in the mean time I have rice flour.  Do I HAVE to add a potato starch or any other starch to it when baking.  I notice that most coconut bread recipes don't call for added things like amaranth powder or corn starch, but rice flour recipes do.  Don't mind trying it out, but hate to end up with a throw away product using expensive flours :/  Thanks for any advice!

Gem

• View Profile
Re: Rice Flour Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
My reference sheet for flours states that white rice flour can stand on its own for a variety of recipes and is ideal for recipes that require a light texture (like dumplings). Needs to be in an airtight container to avoid it absorbing moisture from the air.

Brown rice flour is heavier and needs other companion flours.  Best used fresh and not bought in bulk.  Store in airtight container also.  Rice flours are high glycemic and not recommended by WB but they are wheatless and gluten-free.

Hope that helps.

masugr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:19:36 AM »
Thanks, it does!  I have 25 lbs of white rice (my husband is a bulk buyer, what can I say).  Anyways, This is exciting to me so I can bake something or try at it!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
Brown rice flour is heavier and needs other companion flours.

I've always been curious why there are so many recipes that use multiple flours.   I thought it was a taste thing.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »

Sponsored Links