This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Hello, I'm new  (Read 2441 times)

Kathi

• View Profile
Hello, I'm new
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
Hi.  I came to the forum to find the answer to my question, "is an occasional ingestion of wheat really going to set me back that bad", and fortunatley (or unfortunately) found it, and of course it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I'm still in.  Will just have to try harder.  I just got the book, but have barely started it.  I think the cookbook will be my best bet, as I feel pretty lost.  First thing I need to do is clean out my cupboards.  Just hope I'm strong enough for this.  Need to lose about 70 pounds and get this rheumatoid arthritis under control.  Any words of encouragement are welcome! 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I'm new
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:08:54 AM »
Yep, clean out your cupboards! Once you get the wheat out of your system, you really don't crave it anymore...or at least I don't. In fact I don't usually have cravings and I'm not hungry very often. Yesterday I even forgot to eat lunch...it was 3:00 pm before I realized it. Welcome!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:32:15 AM »
Welcome Kathi!

Cleaning out the cupboards will be very helpful.

Here's a helpful topic on "What did you eat for Dinner tonight?"   http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html

Here's breakfast:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,19.0.html

And here's lunch:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,356.msg3123.htm

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »
Welcome! I found the most inspiration in Paleo cookbooks. Since the Paleo lifestyle is more exclusive of food groups, I do not have to edit...

The Cooking Light Gluten-Free cookbook has several good recipes, but is a minefield of junk that must be ignored!

I finally got my DH to do the chant...Meat and vegetables...meat and vegetables... That is what we eat.

[/size]We eat eggs for breakfast. Every day. DH occasionally puts salsa and cheese on his. [size=78%]

[/size]For lunch, we eat meat and vegetables. We have a little taco place where they put meat, cheese, guacamole and vegetables in a bowl. They will do this at Subway, too. At a deli, get meat, cheese, and some olives. [size=78%]

[/size]For dinner, hamburger patties, salmon, chicken, tilapia, steak, pot roast, chili(homemade, so I know what is in it), spaghetti sauce, everything I made before, but I leave off the rice, pasta, potatoes. Occasionally, we eat a sweet potato. [size=78%]

[/size]If DH is not here, I eat an avocado for lunch. Cut it in half, sprinkle a little salt, and eat with a spoon, right out of the skin.[size=78%]

[/size]Once you get in the groove, it is not difficult. Once you start to lose the symptoms, passing up the fast food drives thru's becomes easier and then they start to SMELL bad!! Honestly, they smell bad anyway....[size=78%]

[/size]I also got DH to shift his paradigm....instead of telling himself(and other people) that he "CAN'T" have wheat, to tell himself that he "DOESN'T" eat it. When you say can't, people will almost always question it. When you say don't, there seems to be less questioning. When you are successful and familiar enough, you can begin preaching, as DH does now![size=78%]

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
Welcome Kathi~  you came to the right place, for support and excellent advice and info!  Read everything you can, and start right away, give yourself the gift that keeps on giving - freedom from pain!  It does take 100% commitment, I speak from experience.  I just retired from a job that included providing snacks and meals for an engineering group, customer visits, etc.  I had a difficult time keeping myself completely away from the occasional cookie or cracker, sometimes even indulging in pizza, pasta and bread, if the stress load got out of hand.  And I thought just a little bit once in a while wouldn't hurt.  Well, it does!  Now that I'm at home, and have total control over my food intake, I have been wheat and grain free for at least 4 months, and I have absolutely no arthritis, even though I had bilateral knee replacement surgery more than two years ago.  The pain in the artificial joints was gone right away, but the surrounding tissue still was inflamed long after the surgeon said it would be.  It was the grains, pure and simple.

If you like, start a journal, and write your daily info down, as a reminder for yourself, and also to support and motivate others.  For me, it has been interesting to see how I do from day to day, and I sometimes go back and read what was going on last month, or last year.  I would love to have a journal buddy, it seems most have stopped writing, but I will probably write my story as long as they let me!   :D

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
Green tree, we don't say "can't" either. We will say "we choose not to eat wheat"

BarbinNC, are you still using your rebounder (small trampoline)? I started to get one but figured it would be just a passing fancy. I'm on a journey of decluttering...very interested in minimalism...so I don't want/like to add something I'm not sure I'll use. Glad you're doing so well!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 11:24:50 AM »
Deanna, I use the rebounder almost daily, or at least when GS is here.  It's in the playroom upstairs, and I bounce on it with him for a few minutes at least, lets say 3 to 4 days a week.  I have much stronger quadriceps now, they are severed during the surgery I had, and have to regain strength again, as they heal.  I was not doing well with that, and it made climbing stairs etc. very difficult.  It's made a noticeable difference for me!

Also, I've heard it helps the lymph system, which is something I need help with.  I tend to retain water, and while being grain free has helped with the periodic edema in my feet, I think the rebounding has helped clear that up too.

Hard to tell if it would be something you would utilize, I have to be honest and say I did not until recently.  When I first bought it, I lived in a big house with a huge bedroom, and had it set up in front of the TV in a little alcove, so it was very easy to jump on for a few minutes.  When I moved to this town home, I had to move it upstairs, and never thought of it. 

Let me know what you decide and if you like it, should you decide to get one.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »
Hi Kathi, welcome to our forum.  We wish you the best of luck.  I, personally and my DH, have much less joint pain when we avoid wheat.  I know numerous people who have rheumatoid arthritis and regular who have less pain without wheat, so you can, too.

lizwolf217

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Hi Kathi,

I am new to this, too. I suffer from wheat intolerance, and am about 100 lbs overweight at age 59. My absolutely best solution to live without wheat and grains etc, is to picture them as poison. I have a very vivid imagination, and am picturing myself keeling over if I eat grains. Since wheat indulgence has landed me in the hospital via ambulance before, it's not easy to imagine this food killing me within minutes.

Find out what image will bring you to a screeching halt. Autosuggestion is an amazing tool to achieve all sorts of things.

You can do it. Read, Read, Read. Educating yourself is very, very important. The more you understand what is going on, the easier it will be following any rules. :)

Liz

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »

Sponsored Links