This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Beware of pine nuts  (Read 2973 times)

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Beware of pine nuts
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
Late last week, my DH and I became afflicted with an annoying but not dangerous condition called pine nut mouth after eating some grainless granola that contained raw pine nuts. I had no idea that pine nuts could create such a horrible lingering metallic taste.  :o  Blech!!! Needless to say, I've tossed the rest of the bag! 

Gem

• View Profile
Re: Beware of pine nuts
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Thanks, Joan, for the warning.  I had seen pine nuts in Costco and was wondering if they are good for us but your experience may dissuade me from trying them unless there's something you have to do to them first to make them okay??

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
I've been eating pine nuts for years, both raw and toasted and never noticed a problem like this.  I wonder if the answer is that some people are sensitive to them while others are not.  I would guess that most people do not have a problem with pine nuts given how popular pesto sauce is.  Maybe the situation is something like that for the spice paprika - about 15% of the population does not taste it at all (I am in this group), but most people can.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
I've been buying the Costco pine nuts for years.  Love them.  Wonder if you had a bad batch.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
A couple of the articles that I found stated that the problematic pine nuts come from China. We bought ours from Trader Joes, and the package said they were imported from Korea, Russia, and Vietnam. Also, the articles I've read say that not everyone reacts the same way.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:21:11 PM by Joan from MN »

Cici947

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
I have also experienced Pine Mouth. It is horrible. The bitter taste in my mouth lasted for weeks. It was horrible. The nuts I bought came from China. I had eaten pine nuts many times without this reaction; however, the time I got the reaction I had eaten a lot of them. Since, I never eat pine nuts unless I toast them first and limit the amount to a tsp or two at the most! I have heard that pine nuts from Italy do not have this side effect, but not sure if its true or not.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 05:24:50 AM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:47:14 AM by Rita »

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »
Jan, I clicked on the link you provided and it did not produce the article??

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:48:13 AM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
Sorry....I'm not good at providing links. I'm currently sitting in an airport so will try later to find the article. Maybe if you just google Costco berry hepatitis scare, it might pop up.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 08:49:02 AM »
I fixed the link.   Not sure why it didn't work either the first time, because the url was correct.  I don't think it was you Jan.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
Thanks Rita.....since we're all spread out, it might be pertinent!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »

Sponsored Links