This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Toothpaste I really like  (Read 8269 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Toothpaste I really like
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »
I had been using the fluoride-free Tom's toothpaste, but recently purchased a different toothpaste just to try it out.  I LOVE IT!

It's a licorice ayrvedic herbal toothpaste with neem  called Auromere.   I love the clean feeling in my mouth and how it keeps teeth white. 

I bought it at Sprouts.   Here's what it looks like on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Auromere-Toothpaste-Original-Licorice-4-16-Ounces/dp/B001E5D0GQ

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Toothpaste I really like
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »
Ingredients: Fine Chalk (a gentle cleanser), Glycerine (from vegetable oil), Water, Herbal extract blend: [Peelu (Salvadora persica), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Indian Licorice root, Pomegranate rind, Commom Jujube, Rose Apple, Clove, Persian Walnut, Barleria prinoitis bark (Vajradanti), Indian Almond, Bedda nut, Asian Holly Oak, Prickly Ash, Zanthoxylum alatum, Sappan wood, Catechu, Bengal Madder, Acacia arabica bark (Babul), Sarsaparilla, Cinnamon, Medlar bark, Mayweed, Bishop's weed (flower extract)], Silica, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (from Indian coconut oil), Carageenan (from seaweed), Cellulose (plant) gum, Clove oil, Peppermint oil, Spearmint oil, Eucalyptus oil, Menthol, Thymol, Anethol, Geranium extract.

Don't swallow; contains 2 emulsifiers: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Carageenan

No claim of gluten-free, which raises questions about the source of the cellulose.

Ayurvedic, by the way, is not terribly reassuring per se. Consumerlab.com has flunked any number of Ayurvedic products over the years for heavy metal contamination, principally mercury and lead. They have not tested any toothpaste, however.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »
Boundless,

This still seems like an improvement over Colgate, Aim, Pepsodent and similar products. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
This is a subject dear to my heart.  I have been trying for years to find a toothpaste that I like and that doesn't leave my mouth burning and dry.  Peppermint and I do not get along.  I have tried many kinds.  I either can't get my teeth clean enough with them or the flavor is as off-putting as all the mints.   It seems to me that the amount of mint in toothpaste has doubled in the last ten years, or is this just me being overly sensitive?  I hate to be the bearer of bad news: but, cleaning freshens breath.  Mint only gives you weird halitosis.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »
Barbara from New Jersey: This still seems like an improvement over Colgate, Aim, Pepsodent and similar products.

Absolutely. Top priorities in a TP are to avoid antibiotics (triclosan & accomplices), non-native halogens (fluorides) and artificial sweeteners.

We swallow little enough of it that emulsifiers and contaminants may or may not be worth worrying about.

I'm also using an FF Tom's, but am always open to alternatives, so if someone posts one here, I'm going to look at it, and opine.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:41:19 PM »
The ingredient list isn't perfect, but it's the best ingredient list I have seen so far.  Plus, I do really like the herbs that are included in it.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »

Boundless,

A while ago, someone posted about Himalaya Herbal Healthcare Toothpaste manufactured by The Himalaya Drug Company.  It is a product of India and a pleasant tasting toothpaste.  I have been using it and I like it very much.  A little goes a long way, so the price shouldn't be too alarming because it lasts a long time.  www.himalayausa.com   This link doesn't work so just type it into your search engine. 

By the way, I found this toothpaste at The Vitamin Shoppe so check your health food stores.  Fluoride free, saccharin free, sodium lauryl sulfate free.  It has menthol made from peppermint leaves but because the toothpaste is made from natural and organic products. it is a very mild and fresh taste, unlike the common chemical based products.

Twenty-eight ingredients awaiting perusal!

Thanks for posting this new product Rita, I will look for it.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
That was me.....We've been using the Himalaya herbal toothpaste for quite awhile, and while not perfect, it's better than most and we like the less-minty flavor.....very clean. We also use a charcoal toothpaste in conjunction for whitening, as well as coconut oil for anti-bacterial action.

I think I posted this a year or so ago.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »
Hi Jan,

Yes, I am now remembering your post!  I had been using Tom's of Maine, but didn't care for it much so I was happy to try your recommendation.   I'm going to look for Auromere as an alternate.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
If that's the Neem & Pomegranate Toothpaste, it contain three separate soaps (Lauryl Glucoside (from coconut oil), Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate (&) Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate ), two anti-microbials (Potassium Sorbate and Neem) and two emulsifiers (carrageenan and xantham gum). It's got some other stuff I didn't chase down.

Some sites argue that the disodium cocoyl glutamate is way far from 'natural' by the time it reaches the product. The side effects of large doses of potassium sorbate suggests that it is a gut biome antagonist. Dr. Davis is presently not recommending use of emulsifiers in recipes while looking into more gut biome concerns with those.

Again, we usually don't swallow much toothpaste, but many of these ingredients look like window dressing, and might even be oral biome antagonists. On the whole, it seems like it oughta be possible to make a simpler toothpaste with fewer concerns.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »
I get mine at Trader Joe's.  All Natural and No Fluoride.  With Fennel, Propolis, and Myrrh.  I like it a lot.  Keeps my teeth white and CLEAN.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 07:15:52 AM »
My father always brushed his teeth with baking soda.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 06:34:37 AM »
Greentree,

Baking soda was commonly used for dental hygiene for many,many years.  People used to make a paste of this with crushed mint and water or alcohol added, but it was messy and time consuming.  If I'm remembering correctly, Pepsodent was a home grown formula which was bought by a company who made it commercially available to people in the 1920-s or 30's.  Then all the other copycat brands popped up.  This was convenient and relatively inexpensive.  Lots of jingles on radio and then TV helped sell the product.  Even I remember "You'll wonder where the odor(?)  went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!"

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »
"You'll wonder where the yellow went..."

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 11:32:41 AM »
Bill,

YES!  The jingle was "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!"

Thanks. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 05:57:18 AM »
I've just discovered a toothpaste without the SLS (foaming agent) which has been under discussion in the past.  No Xylitol sweetener either.  This sells at www.iherb.com and is called Auromere Ayurvedic Herbal Toothpaste.  The flavor with coconut oil derived SLS is mint and the flavor without is cardamon.
I haven't used this, but will order it soon. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
That's the one I use Barbara.  I really like it.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »
I'm listening to the Microbiome Summit, and on the Day 4 series, they had a dentist that I thought shared some interesting tidbits.  Here are a few notes on that presentation,
although I'm not sure I'm in agreement with him on a few things.  I'm going to have to do a little of my own research on essential oils and the effect of probiotics in the mouth.

Gerry Curatola,DDS

-   Tea tree oil and peppermint oil is microbial, and you are disturbing the environment
-   Over 80% of people over 30 years old have some degree of gum disease
-   There is a 10 x increase in heart attacka with gum disease -  it’s a higher risk factor than cholesterol
-   avoid sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and  fluoride
-   4out of 10 kids have damage from fluoride
-   we got to stop stripping the mouth of bacteria
-   All of Tom’s toothpaste products have a detergent base that cleans the mouth and destroys the micro biome of the mouth

Do organic gardening of the mouth by:
-   stop using detergent based products and alcohol rinses
-   best way to stop decay is alkalizing diet
-   exercise and fitness
-   stress management

Elixirs for oral health:
COQ10
Vitamin C
Homeopathy
cell salts

-   probiotics do not work in the mouth
-   best to do a prebiotic  (inulin is good for gut, but doesn’t impact mouth)
-   glutathione
-   over use of whitening products denatures the DNA
-   for whiter teeth do it at dentist, as it’s less than an hour
-   healthy whitening is using a Himalayan salt rinse (a saturated salt solution)
-   strawberry puree on teeth for 15 minutes whitens teeth
-   Auromere toothpaste is a ‘do no harm’ toothpaste      ( personal note from me -  this toothpaste has neem in it, which is antimicrobial ... so why is this considered "do no harm"?)
-   Weleda is a ‘do no harm’ toothpaste
-   Reviton is a new toothpaste available in January that will help restore microbial homeostasis

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »
Rita,

All I can say is WOW!  Each and every point you listed is important.  Dentists have really given very poor advice while reaping in the profits from the results of that advice, just like the doctors.  Fluoride treatments!  Brush with SLS products and Rinse with mouth wash!  Pay them for whitening products.  Take anti-biotic for teeth cleaning….. Gum loss is normal as you age.  Not one of them has every mentioned food except for sugar.  Most of our dental problems are caused by following their advice.  This just makes me mad as can be since I've spent a fortune on my teeth.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »
Barb, 

I understand your anger.  I look at my poor mom who is dealing with horrible dental issues and bills.  In the last 5 years, I would guestimate that she is has had over $40,000 in dental bills ... and she's still having issues.

I have a friend who visited a holistic dentist who found oral spirochettes in her mouth, which is a microbe found in plaque that makes it's way to the brain and causes alzheimers.  (I think I should start a separate thread about that, as it's quite an interesting topic.)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
re: Elixirs for oral health:

Homeopathy

Well, that let the air out of that tire, unless he's talking about dilutions small enough that there is actual active ingredient left at more than trace concentrations.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »
Does anyone have info on neem? I bought a mouthwash that has neem...sounds like that may be bad????

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 05:41:01 AM »
Hi Deanna,

Neem is an ancient herb used widely in Ayurvedic medicine.  IT is a common ingredient in many natural care products, even shampoo.  It softens skin, has antiseptic qualities, helps prevent plaque formation on teeth and other properties.  Don't be concerned about this unless you actually have an adverse reaction to the product, like a rash or swelling.  It usually is blended with other substances so you have a product with diluted amounts of neem.

I have used neem soap and liked it very much. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
Thanks Barbara for the info.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »
I was just reading an interesting article on clove oil here.  Here is an excerpt:

Dental care: As mentioned above, the most prominent use of clove oil is in dental care. The germicidal properties of the oil make it very effective for relieving dental pain, tooth ache, sore gums and mouth ulcers. Clove oil contains the compound eugenol, which has been used in dentistry for many years. Gargling with diluted clove oil helps in easing throat pain and irritation. The characteristic smell of clove oil also helps to eliminate bad breath. Clove is also effective against cavities, and traditionally, in India, clove oil was added to a small cotton ball and put at the end of the tooth which has the cavity every day before going to sleep. The cavity would vanish in a few days. As a result, clove oil is added to numerous dental products and medications, including mouthwash and tooth paste. Dentists also mix clove oil with zinc oxide to prepare a white, filling material as a temporary alternative to a root canal. But be careful, clove oil is very strong and can cause burns inside your mouth if used incorrectly.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 11:37:57 AM »
Rita, it appears that your licorice is much cheaper at Vitacost:

http://www.vitacost.com/auromere-herbal-toothpaste-original-licorice

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 03:38:37 PM »

Deanna -  Nice!!   :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »
Rita, I buy regularly from Vitacost and always buy a minimum of $49 so I get free shipping. I plan to order your toothpaste next time...and maybe that brand mouthwash as well.

I bought clove oil a few months ago. It says 100% pure and natural. Yes, we know that may mean nothing. But it does not say essential oil...just "clove oil". It's the NOW brand and that's supposed to be a good brand. However, I was researching a bit more and I read that on the essential oils you can tell if they're pure by 3 methods: one was a dark bottle, one was a list of ingredients ON the bottle, and I can't remember the third one. The NOW brand I bought met 2 out of 3 of the criteria. The one it did not meet...it does not list the ingredients on the bottle. I can't remember if it came in a box or not. Anyway, I diluted it with olive oil and used it about a week, and my gums got irritated and puffy. I've used whole cloves for years..just to chew on for fresh breath...also for a cough if I can't stop coughing, so I'm pretty sure I'm not allergic. Any ideas?

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
I am not sure Deanna, but would it be possible that this is a concentrated form and has to be diluted even more?  Like a mouth rinse … you might be able to call NOW Foods, or check their website.  Hope you are feeling better in the meantime!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 06:38:24 AM »
Dr. Bronner's TP recently came to my attention.

Here's what's in one flavor (Cinnamon):
Organic Glycerin, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrated Silica, Calcium Carbonate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Potassium Cocoate (made with Organic Coconut Oil*), Organic Cinnamomum Cassia (Cinnamon) Oil, Organic Mentha Arvensis (Menthol) Crystals, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Flour*, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Tocopherol, Citric Acid, Organic Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf / Stem Extract
*Certified Fair Trade Ingredient

Fluoride-free. No obvious anti-microbials. But xantham gum is an emulsifier.

Packaging is loaded with off-topic philosophical agenda.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »
Every time I look at a Dr. Bonners bottle, I get strange feelings..lol! I buy the soap when it is on sale to bathe my horses. I will look for the toothpaste, and try not to read the box....

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »
I ordered Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds and when it arrived I got very strange feelings...but it was about the "off-topic philosophical agenda."...Very strange indeed.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »
Greentree and Boundless, unless I've read something wrong, I don't think the Auromere toothpaste is Dr. Bronner's product. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
re: I don't think the Auromere toothpaste is Dr. Bronner's product.

Correct, but this thread isn't about any one product in particular at this point.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »
I buy Dr. Bronner's cleaning products, and recently read all the small print that decorates the bottle.  He does sound like he had some mental issues.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 03:44:35 AM »
The family has been making high quality soaps for 150 years, starting in Germany.  Their labels are a bit different than what we are used to seeing. The company philosophy is all about the goodness of people, honesty, fairness in business/trade and personal dealings, treating our planet with respect and other similar ideals.  Phrases popular throughout that period of time are quoted,  even the Bible, Rudyard Kipling and Thomas Paine!  This is why the labels seem so odd to us. 

I have been using these products since I set up my first household.  They often were hard to find.  The labels were always the same, certainly not like any cleaning products on our grocery store shelves.  What I liked was the fresh, clean smell, not like the hasher odors of other products.  Easy on the hands and finishes of whatever I would clean.  Even better is that there is a lot less clutter under the sink cabinets because they are multi-purpose cleansers.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 08:49:38 AM »
Has anybody tried The Dirt tooth powder? ...or their lip balm?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
For a year or more I've been using the Auromere licorice toothpaste that Rita recommended in 2015...also their mouthwash. It's my favorite. I did order The Dirt tooth powder at hubby's request. He didn't really like it...maybe because it's a powder and is messy. So I am trying to use it up. I like the taste (mine is cinnamon) but I don't like the powder either. I might like it if it was a paste, but I plan to continue with the Auromere licorice. Randy uses Auromere mint.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »
I still use the [size=0px]Auromere licorice toothpaste too.   I'm not a fan of powder either.  Too messy.[/size]

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
I like the Auromere toothpaste as well.  I use that and then place a small scoop of coconut oil in my mouth and swish it around for as long as possible, mayybe 10 - 20 minutes.  I use a paper cup to spit out the oil.  I leave the cup on the counter until it is nearly filled.  don't spit the oil into the sink because it can clog your plumbing lines.

My gums are not receding as much and they are healthy.  I don't have tartar buildup anymore.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »

Sponsored Links