This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Hot Cereal  (Read 3917 times)

Loanne

• View Profile
Hot Cereal
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »
I found a recipe on the Wheat Free Market site for hot cereal, which I've missed since starting WB.  Or hot cereal that tastes good!  Ordered some of the granola from the Market and am now prepared to have hot cereal tomorrow!  Have to grind up the granola, add flax seed, etc.....anyone tried this recipe?  It's listed below, but I've also discovered the granola is pretty darned good on its own!  Probably too good...  ;)

Hot "Cereal"
Serves 1
1/3 cup Wheat-Free Market Foods Classic Granola
 1 tablespoon ground golden flaxseed
  cup milk of choice
  teaspoon Wheat-Free Market Sweetener
 Fresh berries (optional) 
Blend granola in a Magic Bullet type device until it becomes a fine meal or the consistencydesired for your cereal. 
To a small bowl add the ground granola, ground flaxseed, milk and sweetener, then stir.
Microwave for 1 minute then stir. Top with fresh berries and enjoy.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:10:46 PM by Rita »

Loanne

• View Profile
Re: Hot Cereal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
Whoops....looks like all the extra stuff got included too..sorry.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:11:41 PM »
No prob Loanne.   I cleaned it up for you.  Sorry that this forum software does that.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:30:36 AM »
Loanne,

This looks good!  I would make up several cups of this and store in a cool place.  It is ready for a quick breakfast since you only have to scoop it out and heat your liquid.  Nice find.  I miss hot cereal too. I don't miss the misery wheat and oats caused !

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »
This is a great recipe, thanks.  Breakfast has become very boring and this will greatly help, besides, I always loved granola (the sweeter the better).

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
Thanks for the "clean up" help!  And it the cereal is good!!!  I do have the dry granola in the frig to keep for other mornings.   Had my hamburger soup this morning.  Yum!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 10:21:33 AM »
Just in case no one has tried the hot cereal from the Wheat Free Market, it's pretty good!  I ordered some recently in my quest to find something "cereal" like to eat for BF.  I can't name all the ingredients since I'm at work now, but just add hot water to 1/3 cup dry mix, let it sit for a few minutes, and indulge!  I added a smidge of sweetener and a tablespoon or two of cream.  Great way to start the day.

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:35 PM »
This cereal sounds like WB breakfast nut mix, I make it all the time, not for cereal though , I use as a topping for my yogurts. Delicious!!!! and I only use a quarter cup, more than enough for me......, thank u for your recipe:)
Blessings,
Kathy:-)

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:19:55 PM »
I wanted to share that when I want hot cereal I have been having a creamy buckwheat one, I don't have it to often due to it is on the seldom list:( due to the carbs so I use it sparingly but it is very good!!!! Purchased it at Whole Foods.
Blessings,

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 01:39:10 PM »
Hi, I have a question and are hoping someone will be able to help me, I am wanting to make wheat Belly breakfast nut mix and it calls for coconut milk, I make this all the time but am running into not being able to finding the container milk without all the BAD ingredients, it amazes me something so natural and simple could have all the so to speak "Garbage" in it, do you think I could replace it with Almond milk, I only need a half a cup. Before this I have been able to find a mostly safe brand but I cannot find it now, I would use can coconut but don't believe that is what Dr Davis is recommending. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful..., thank you:-)
Blessings,

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »
Katherine,

Use canned coconut milk.  You have to read the labels because many brands have preservatives and other unnecessary ingredients in them.  Usually these brands are the less expensive ones.  Some have guar gum, which is an ok thickener.  Some stores carry the coconut milk in a disposable septic container which doesn't need refrigeration.  You might look for those as well.  Most of the coconut milk you find in the refrigerated cases contain the garbage you want to avoid.  Dr. Davis mentioned this many times on this blog site.

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
Thank you very much for you advice, actually it was the boxed coconut milk that had all the preservatives in them, no matter what brand i chose! I will use the can one then, quite honestly I do not know what to use the remainder of the coconut for, I know you cannot keep it to long! I have been following Dr Davis for over a year now with some bumps along the road, not wheat or grains, my downfall is sugar but for now I am doing fine and with that being said I read everything, we wheat belly followers have to!! Thank you Barbara for your time, I read many of your posts, you are an amazing person, keep doing what you do:)
Blessings,

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:54 AM »
Katherine,

Thank you for the compliment!  Yes, I am committed to this way of eating.  My overall health and vitality has improved markedly while all my peers are having various "issues."  I will never go back to the SAD.  Finally, lots of good information is readily available here and on the internet.

The way I deal with leftover coconut milk is to make a double or triple batch of something, then freeze it.  I posted a recipe for pancakes recently and will freeze the extras.  I also like to fix Thai food to use up the remaining milk.  Soups, smoothies, even an avocado pesto/cream sauce over zoodles is good.
At first it is daunting, but after I started to pair up the recipes based on ingredients, it became easy.  Even mashed potatoes instead of milk tastes good using coconut milk.  Lots of desserts use this so check out a few other recipes for cookies, pies, ice cream type dishes. 

I searched and searched for dried coconut powder which I could add water to make it useful for the 2 & 3 TBS recipes.  The only powder I could find had all the chemicals and sugar I didn't want.  Thai Kitchen brand has a small 5.5 oz size (like tomato paste) of coconut milk.  I found that I could use a small package of coconut cream with about the same amount of water added and stirred.   This is in a small green box and I found it at Whole Foods, but check your local stores.  I refrigerate the open package and make sure the coconut cream is at room temperature.  You just have to find what works for you.

I use Swerve or Wheat Free Market Foods for sweetener in cooking and stevia for my coffee. 

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 01:23:01 PM »
Thank you Barbara!!! Wow!!! Awesome feedback, that's a great idea to make multiple servings, it normally makes two large containers and I use it all the time with yogurt!! Tried it for cereal but didnt like it as much, thank you again!!!!
Blessings,

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 01:23:01 PM »

Sponsored Links