This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Close to a milestone....  (Read 5334 times)

Greentree

• View Profile
Close to a milestone....
« on: October 17, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »
We are getting close to a couple of milestones in my family!

Almost 12 months since we watched Dr. Perlmutter and his Grain Brain changed our lives. It was after reading his book that I began reading Wheat Belly, WBTH, etc. I actually read Elizabeth Hasselbeck's book first, waiting for WB to return to the library. Although it had some good information on avoiding wheat(for Celiacs) I knew a lot of her recipes and recommendations were off, since she used a LOT of GFJ(gluten free junk)!

As a family of 3, we have lost 100 lbs or more! I do not have a starting wt on my son, but all of his shirts are loose, where they used to stretch around his waist, and he is down at least 2 jean sizes. 

My son picked up this WOE on his own ( he is 29, lives with us, eats dinner here, but the rest of the meals are on his own). He started feeling WAY better after just not eating carbs at dinner that he cut them out in the rest of his meals, too.

Yesterday, my DH actually walked up the driveway to the old barn( about 1/4 mile, with a hill), and back. A year ago, this was unheard of. He would get in the truck, or tractor, and drive. Made me crazy! I am a hiker, lol! But now, he has the energy to do this, and While it is easy to credit the weightloss, I don't believe that is the real reason. The energy is Now getting to his cells.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: Close to a milestone....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
What a  wonderful story, Greentree, thank you for sharing with us.  I bet your DH really enjoyed that walk and what an intelligent son you raised!  My son is coming around slowly to my way of eating'; his insane mother isn't so insane after all.  You have given such a gift to your loved ones.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
Congrats Greentree!

I agree totally with Lynda's comment.  It gets even better the longer you are sugar and grain free.   :)   While your friends and family start whining about their  "conditions", you and yours will be feeling great with no or only minor "conditions" and few, if any, meds.  Giving yourself and your family the gift of continued good health is  wonderful and you are sure reaping the rewards! 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »
Greentree......that is awesome....12  months, you're in!

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:50:33 PM »
Barbara NJ...having been my MIL's caregiver for 12 years,  I am well versed in the meds and conditions :P . She has been diabetic since 1974, had quad bypass, valve replacement, then a mild stroke, etc., and ALWAYS did EXACTLY what the Dr. told her.

She takes more pills in one day than I take in a week (mine are supplements). 95% are for side effects of other drugs. I once told her that if I were her, I would only take the meD for blood sugar, the rest, I would throw in the trash, just to SEE what happened. 

But, I would not take that blood sugar med, either, I would fix the problem AT the SOURCE......

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 06:33:14 AM »
Greentree,

You named the exact problem: at the source.  We've been led to believe that doctors are all-knowing and the drugs are miracles.  That is, until you ask yourself the question "am I getting any better?"   While there are many skilled doctors and life saving medicines, most people need only to change their diets for improvements.   

I cringe and cry silent tears when I think of the needless torture my loved ones and friends suffered through before they passed on, all of them carefully following their doctor's advice and never got any better. Their lives were a slow decline with more and more ills. 

I'll be grain and sugar free for 3 full years in early December.  My weight, bp, bs, cholesterol etc. are all within normal ranges now.  They had been creeping up and medical checkups were being scheduled for every three months instead of yearly to "monitor" and the doctors had their prescription pad out.  It took many months, but all measurable levels went down to normal range, life long indigestion was cured (I still take HCL and enzymes sometimes) and my energy increased.  Arthritis pain in my feet and ankles went away.

As part of the baby boomer generation, I'm seeing my peers looking pale and stiff.  Not me!  I was interested enough to read everything I could find using Dr. Davis's site as the springboard.  This forum was so helpful in bringing like minds together as we all were asking the same questions and reporting our results.  Thank you Rita!  The articles, books, recipes all kept me encouraged and enthused.  My motto became "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired".  We all think about these issues and discuss how we've changed and the ongoing results of the change.

Most important is I GOT BETTER!  So keep up your good spirits and your good eating habits and you will continue to be energetic, healthy and not develop the medical ills of most people your age.   Give yourself a hug!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
Wow Greentree!   Very excellent!  Congratulations!

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 07:19:44 AM »
Thanks, Barbara and Rita!!

Yesterday was quite interesting.....
We went to our friend's farm for the farmer's market "farm hop".  DH supplied the music for the event.
One of the members who does barbecue was supposed to be there with food, but had some delay at home. About an hour into the event, they finally arrive with some hamburgers and hot dogs, and fire up my friend's gas grill.

If they had decided not to come, or if they had been early and set up on the other side of the house with the whole BBQ pit, they would not have been next to DH as he was talking to someone about his weight loss and health gain.....we would not have known that this young man(35 or so, at most) had just been diagnosed diabetic....yesterday.

So today, they are on their way to explore WB, and reverse his diagnosis, and avoid all of the side effects of those drugs.

She said it was so strange, when they got to the drug store, the dr. had included a  Rx for Lipitor. Did not mention it, did not check his cholesterol, and his cholesterol had been FINE when it WAS checked.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »
What a great story, Greentree!  You and your hubby have done so well, you can be proud.  :)   

And I love those stories of coincidence … but we know deep down there are no coincidences, don't we … we call it serendipity!   ;)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
Great thing to happen.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
On another forum, I had posted my story about discovering WB, and going LCHF. I got so much flack(you cannot give up an entire food group;you are missing out on fiber, vitamins and minerals, etc., etc.,) that I almost quit reading there.

Then, I ran across Dr. Sarah Hallberg's Tedtalk, and posted it there. More flack....

Ever the patient, determined little preacher, I posted about our anniversary, and the successes my family has had. More flack(you are going to kill your gallbladder, etc.), but I was holding my head up, even under the strain and THEN...

A lady posted on my thread that she had lost 60 lbs in the last 6 months...someone she did not remember (me)had posted a video that made sense to her, and her family was having the same wonderful results.

I asked her if that was it and she said yes, and thanked me....

I am elated. There could be others who do not post. Made a difference to one starfish!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »
Great story.  Congrats on making a difference!

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
Thanks,Rita!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »

Greentree,

How wonderful!  You just never know what happens with the seeds you sow….

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »
Greentree:

That is a great story. 

We have a little radio show that we do each
Saturday.  I may have posted something
about it here before...

Anyway, every so often, we get contacted
by someone who says they checked into
LCHF and they thank us and then join our
monthly dining out group.  That's why we
continue to do it.  It's so very gratifying.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »
Bob, thanks for posting! I wish I had enough internet service to listen to your show!

I am planning to do a viewing of Dr. Davis (from YouTube) at the senior center where my dance class is held. Any hints? .

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »
Well, closing in quickly on 2 years of WB!!!

In March, the local  racetrack opened up on Tuesday evenings for walkers and bicyclists. It is a 3.1 mile road course, some curvy, some straight, with a couple of hills.

DH and I went out to walk it, and made another life change......It took us an hour to walk it, and we kept getting passsed by bicyclists, who looked like they were having SO much fun (not that I wasn't, but DH does not particularly enjoy trying to keep up with me..)

We left the track, and drove to the big box sporting goods store, and bought 2 not so expensive bikes and a rack and helmets.

My driveway is 1/4 mile long, with a couple of hills, and we could NOT make it up to the house!!  The next week, we headed out to the track... Made it around twice (6miles) , and were done. The next week, 3 times around. DH's bike started having problems, and we ended up returning those bikes, and going to a local bike shop, and seriously upgrading our bikes.

By this time, we were starting to REALLY enjoy riding, and looking for other bike trails. DS went out and bought a bike.  We upgraded the bike rack. (Doing my best to keep the economy going!!)

We found a nice greenbelt in a river city north of us, and began going up there on the weekends. Had a big celebration when we rode the entire greenbelt, out and back, which is 30 miles!!

Then a few months ago, our dance instructor's SIL dicovered this little boxing place, and we went over there for a class. DH has never done any cardio classes, and he whined severly, bit then felt good and wanted to go back!! 

In October, we were dancing at a local train depot, where one of our dancers does a craft fair, and I met a lovely lady selling a line of mineral make up and other body care products. I had never heard of the line before, so when I got home, I googled around, and really liked what I saw.....not one to be impulsive, but I went back to pick up DH(he had all of the sound equipment there..), and I walked into that depot, and SIGNED up to sell it!!!  (I should add that I am not a fan of multi level marketing.....)

As I continued to read when I got home, I found out the line is gluten free!!

Back to the topic...as far as WB, we are still doing well. The biking and boxing really made me hungry, and I put on a few pounds, but the biking ended as the days got too short, and we took a break from boxing while he moves the gym to a larger location, and almost all of the weight has come back off.  I am just not worried about it anymore!  I would love to be a little slimmer, but refuse to "diet" to get there.

I FEEL healthy, and that is what matters to me!

Hope everyone is enjoying the warm fall!!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »

Sponsored Links