This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: BUTTERED POACHED RADISHES with SPICED MUSTARD DILL SAUCE  (Read 2009 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
BUTTERED POACHED RADISHES with SPICED MUSTARD DILL SAUCE
« on: October 21, 2015, 06:28:08 AM »
This is a delicious way to eat radishes.  They become mellow and almost sweet tasting, something like a yellow turnip.  The sauce is excellent for dipping, but not necessary.  Don't forget to use the leaves in your salad!  I was taught to throw them away.  What a waste.  I will also just mince and place over the cooked radishes.  Various sizes, shapes and colors of radishes look terrific when served.  A local restaurant published this recipe.  I've eaten this and it really is worth making.  Warming in the cold weather.

BUTTER POACHED RADISHES with SPICED MUSTARD SAUCE    serves 4

1/2 - 1 lb unsalted butter
1 lb radishes washed well, ends clipped
       use various shapes and sizes if available
sea or himalayan salt to taste

In frypan, cook radishes in butter using a very light simmer for about 20 minutes until very soft.  Test with a knife.  Let cool a bit in the butter.  Remove from butter to serve.  Sprinkle with salt.  Save pan butter for another use.

SPICED MUSTARD DILL SAUCE

1 cup sour cream
1 TBS whole grain mustard
2 TBS Dijon mustard
equivalent sweetener of 1-2 TBS dark brown sugar  (I used 1- 2 TBS Swerve and 1/4 tsp unsulfured blackstrap molasses)  OPTIONAL
1 TBS+ chopped dill (fresh if possible)
1 TBS smoked paprika

Combine all ingredients and let sit at room temperature for about an hour to meld, then serve at room temperature.
Adjust seasonings to taste.  Good on most veggies!

Note that radishes are very low carb.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: BUTTERED POACHED RADISHES with SPICED MUSTARD DILL SAUCE
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:44:52 AM »
Barbara, I must say I never, ever thought about cooking a radish.  This is so interesting I just might have to try it; I like radishes. Thanks.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
That's a combination I would never have considered.   I wish I liked radishes.  Maybe this would make them more palatable.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »
I used to LOVE making this dish, I sometimes also sliced them if they were big enough, to make something similar to home fries.  Radishes lose that hotness when cooked, you can also boil them. I almost forgot that at one time I fell under the spell of HCG - anyone else do that crazy regimen?  Very strange, but it worked, for a while.  Radishes have almost zero carbs, so perfect for a zero carb diet!  And so very delis - glad you reminded me of this delicacy!

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
This sounds so good! I never thought of cooking radishes either...but we LOVE them. May have to go plant some in a pot!

Thanks!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 06:02:20 AM »
BarbinNC,

Do you have any other recipes for cooking, baking, broiling or even grilling radishes? 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
Well, the possibilities are endless.  I have heard of people making faux-tato salad with them, would be much lower carb than cauliflower I guess.  Also, the large white radish, I think called Daikon, would also be good fried in CO or butter, thinly sliced.  Germans eat radishes mostly raw, so I love to shred the white radish and salt, let stand a bit, pour off water it draws, then do vinegar and oil. 

Radishes also roast quickly, would be great with the greens and some butter, I really am going to make some soon - I see lots of recipes online!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 06:41:56 AM »
I made this recipe  with both organic and regular radishes.  The organic radishes tasted much better!  They were sweeter and very mild.  The sauce was used
on top of baked cod and radishes dipped in it. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 06:41:56 AM »

Sponsored Links