This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Real honey  (Read 2444 times)

Linda R

Real honey
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
I just read this, another WTH article concerning the food we are buying in this country. Good grief!  Can we trust ANYTHING available on the grocery store shelves anymore?

http://www.seattleorganicrestaurants.com/vegan-whole-food/most-store-honey-isnt-honey-raw-honey.php

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:17:16 PM by Linda R »

Gem

• View Profile
Re: Real honey
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »
Simply shocking and infuriating, to say the least!!  Thanks for sharing!

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing this important info. I had been resisting purchasing raw honey b/c of the higher price. This article "opened my eyes" and my next visit to my local health food store or farmer's market will have me buying a jar of local raw honey. Any honey still in my pantry will be trashed immediately!
~Kathy~

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:04 AM »
WB lists honey in the "never eat" category....it raises sugar sky high.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »

I know...I hate that becasue I do love honey.  But since I'm not doing WB for weight loss I will use a little bit of honey from time to time anyway, like for my cereal recipe.  Haven't read the link yet but have a feeling I'm not going to like it. 
~Teresa

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »

??? Oops... forgot about that, Jan. Thanks for the reminder.
~Kathy~

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:48:27 AM »
Back in my college/hippie days.....we lived next door to a bee keeper so we learned a little about bees.  When they remove the supers (which are full of honey) they extract by rotating in a cylinder vat and the honey drips down the sides (probably more modern techniques are used these days) and is then put in containers. In the fall, the keepers keep some of the honey in the supers to keep the bees fed throughout the winter, but they also add sugar water since the remaining honey is often not enough to keep the hive alive.

So, the moral to this story is: if bees play a vital role in pollinating all our crops, flowers, fruits, vegetation etc....are we doing them an injustice by taking their food source and replacing it with a substandard version? 

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
 There is a recipe Iím interested in trying for a grain-free cereal/granola. One of the ingredients is 1/4 cup honey. Does anyone know of an acceptable substitute for the honey? Hereís a link to the recipeÖ
http://www.unrefinedkitchen.com/2011/11/10/raisin-nut-crunch-cereal/

~Kathy~

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
Kathy, Nature's Hollow makes a sugar free honey, they also carry sugar free maple syrup, ketchup and  a fairly good BBQ sauce.

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
Kathy, Nature's Hollow makes a sugar free honey, they also carry sugar free maple syrup, ketchup and  a fairly good BBQ sauce.

Thank you!  :)
~Kathy~

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »

But what is "natural honey flavor"?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
Pooka.....sorry, I didn't order the honey so can't tell you.....but I did order the other items and they were good.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »

Sponsored Links