This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: EASY STUFFED CABBAGE  (Read 1613 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
EASY STUFFED CABBAGE
« on: November 04, 2015, 05:24:27 AM »
This recipe was in my newspaper, reprinted from The Washington Post and posted from "Good and Cheap: East Well on $4 a Day"  by Leanne Brown.  She wrote this book for food stamp recipients.  There is a PDF on her website, which was not listed and I did not check it.  This recipe caught my eye because it has rice and lentils in small amounts which Dr. Davis now recommends for their prebiotic content.  This recipe is exceedingly adjustable!

EASY STUFFED CABBAGE    Serves 8-10

cook your rice and lentils in advance

oil to grease pan/casserole dish
3-4 oz. salted ground beef or spicy sausage  broken up into small pieces and cooked.
1 medium onion chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
1 small or 1/2 large green cabbage (about 1 1/2 lbs) coarsely or about 6 cups
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2-3 cups cooked rice
3-4 cups cooked brown or green lentils, drained
1 TBS your favorite savory spice blend (I used za'atar, but any will do, what ever you might have used for stuffed rolled cabbage)
3 1/2 cups tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350*

Use a very large fry or saute' pan, preferably one that can be placed in oven.  If not, grease a casserole dish.
Fry your meat.  Remove from pan.

In same pan, saute' your onions and garlic about 3 minutes until translucent.  Additional fat may be needed.  Add your salt, pepper, paprika and stir for about 1 more minute.

Add chopped cabbage and cook about 5 minutes until slightly softened. 

Mix your rice and lentils with the meat, add your savory spice and taste to adjust seasonings.  If this mixture is tasty, the entire dish will be too.

In your oven proof pan or oiled casserole dish, spread your lentil-meat-rice combination.  Cover with cabbage.  You can layer this if you want.

Cover with your tomato sauce.

Bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Of course, you can use your old recipe for stuffed cabbage and just chop it up instead of rolling the mixture in a leaf of cabbage!

Loanne

• View Profile
Re: EASY STUFFED CABBAGE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
Now this is a recipe I feel safe making!! Thanks for posting...looks good!  :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
I also love this kind of recipe, and am getting ready to make my dinner, which will be steak, cut into strips and browned in butter, chopped onion and garlic, sautÚ till glassy, add cabbage cut in strips, until tender but not too soft.  I like to spice mine with turmeric, salt and pepper, a bit of cayenne, maybe some curry and marjoram. 

So many varieties to do this combination of beef and cabbage, but I don't do rice and lentils now, not even for the prebiotic value.  There is no way I could have just a 1/4 cup, I love lentils and miss them, so no temptations for me!~  ;D

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »

Sponsored Links