This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Greenies for Cats  (Read 2135 times)

Loanne

• View Profile
Greenies for Cats
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
I just had a friend drop off a very large bag of Greenies for cats.  Her cat recently died, but after reading Dr. Davis' article on these  treats, I'm going to discretely put them in the trash!!  She indicated her cat loved them! Maybe loved them to death.

Greentree

• View Profile
Re: Greenies for Cats
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
Funny, I was just thinking about cats, then I saw this!!

I was at a vet's office to pick up some pasture seed, and they had 2 darling orange and white kitties, probably 6 months old. They jumped up on the counter so I could pet them. I am short, and the height of the counter makes the cats eye level to me....

As I am petting, I am suddenly awash in a cloud of orange and white hair!  Now, I have 6 cats at home...some inside, some barn, so I am in tune to what cat's hair is doing. Then , they jump down and go to the bowl of dry food......

My cats eat canned food, the cheapest available, and yet they do NOT shed in clouds of hair. I have a few dust bunnies, but trust me, nothing like this.

Thank you for throwing those away.diabetes is rampant in cats. Their hair falls out. They have gum disease and kidney failure.

Sound familiar???

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
Greentree, I'm glad you took those little furballs home with you!!  How cool!  I have three, and I'm pretty sure if I introduced them to Greenies, they'd love them.  But Greenies are now in the trash.  I'm slowly but surely moving toward grainfree food for them.  IAMS has a new grain free dry kibble that I'm trying.  They don't like the one by Science Diet.  Canned food is Beyond Nature, pate kind.  I have lysine I add to two of my cats' food.  Anyway...Fancy Feast out the door!  Each night when I get home from work, we all snuggle in my comfy chair for awhile, just to reconnect after being gone all day.  So neat...can you tell I love my cats??  :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »
We just got a new puppy.  I'm no expert in pet nutrition, so I asked the vet if I could give the puppy left over bacon fat.   She looked at me totally appalled, and showed me a handout equating fats to donuts.

Then, she went on to give the puppy several oral vaccines, in which she used cheese whiz to get him to take it.   :o

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
Maybe think about getting a new vet??  8)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 05:05:56 AM »
Rita,

Vets were trained in the same mode of our doctors.  Most don't understand much about nutrition and will recommend a grain free diet only if the animal is actually vomiting.  Pet food manufacturers use the least expensive ingredients, most of which are processed in some manner and contain additives, extenders and plenty of animal byproducts.  Cats seem to be fussier about their food than are dogs and will refuse to eat what they seem to know is unhealthy.  I'm astonished at the array of pet foods available now, all processed and packaged to appeal to you, not the health of your pet.  If you think CAFO meats, fish and poultry lack many nutrients and taste, pet foods are made from the by-products of these animals. 

I agree with Jan: you neet to find a holistic vet.  Sure, many of the vaccines are important but too many times any illness is treated with anti-biotics instead of a dietary change.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
I do have a high quality puppy mix that's organic and has no grains.

With regards to the vaccines, you have to have proof of vaccination to do just about anything with your pet, such as any group puppy playtime or training, or even to get a trim.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »
So true about the vaccines, Rita.  We really are treating our pets as children.  Somehow, I don't I don't think if we feed our cat like our son, we would get a 6'1' beautiful cat!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
Group puppy playtime?  Training?  My age is showing!  My dogs were always given shots for distemper and heartworm for their local tag registration which was required.   No classes, playdates or anything else was available that I knew of.    ;D

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 05:43:02 AM »
All of my dogs went to school! I love group training sessions. When you live in the country, it is the only way to train your dog to meet other dogs. We did trick classes, and agility after the basic obedience. FUN!

I read the ingredients on that "grain-free" cat food, and stuck to cans. Cats are obligate carnivores. They only eat meat. Those grain free foods were made with lentils and chick peas. That still doesn't sound like meat, at least to me.

Cats get most of their liquid from their diet. The dry foods have added salt to induce the cats to drink water. This perpetual dehydration causes crystals to form in their urinary tract, plus adds a real burden on the cat's kidneys, causing failure.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »
Greentree, aren't you concerned for the health of your cat's teeth?  Consistently eating canned food could mean cats would need teeth cleaning every so often, I would think.  I am concerned, however, about my two male cats' developing the urinary issue. I've had this happen in the past with another cat I had, and it was pretty miserable for him, especially since he was passing blood already.  I caught it in time to have him treated, though, and he lived a great 16  years.   A friend of mine makes food for her cats out of cooked chicken, and I don't know what else.  If mine would eat it, I'd probably do that.  Not sure it would go over very well with them though.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:58 AM »
No, my cats are ages 9 years down to 6 months, and they ALL have perfectly clean teeth.

The carbohydrates in the dry food is what causes the plaque...same with humans.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:58 AM »

Sponsored Links