This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Citrus Crisps  (Read 993 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Citrus Crisps
« on: December 24, 2015, 02:57:15 AM »
My local newspaper published this recipe.  As I don't have a dehydrator, this recipe uses your oven so I thought this might be useful for the holidays.
I have been making sliced radish, cucumber and similar vegetable "crackers" for snacks and parties where an appetizer may be needed. This recipe is a long forgotten, old fashioned way to use every bit of the fruit.   I made the lemon crisps and used them with a mashed fish spread and it was scarfed up, even by the SAD crowd.  These fruits become quite sweet when dried this way.  You can use them in any drinks, from hot tea to alcoholic to garnish water.  Best part is that they can be made in advance and stored in an airtight glass jar for a year!

CITRUS CRISPS

Use fresh, firm lemons (Meyer or regular), limes, oranges or clementines.  Even grapefruit works for larger crackers.
Parchment paper to line baking sheets as needed.

1. SLICE: Wash and dry fruit.  Use a sharp knife or mandoline to make 1/8" sliced discs.  Discard any seeds. Place on the lined baking sheets, about 1" apart.

2. BAKE: Bake at 150*F or the lowest temperature setting possible.  Some ovens use 170*F as their minimum.  Turn over after about 90 minutes.  They should be dry or close to dry to the touch after about 3 hours.

3. REST: Turn off oven and let these cool to room temperature.  Allow three hours for them to rest.

4.  DRY:  Pull sheets out of oven and let crisps rest sit at room temperature until COMPLETELY dry.  This can take 12 hours up to 2 days.

5.  STORE: Gently peel crisps from the parchment and place in storage container with a tight seal. 

Crisps can be used pressed into a cake, scattered over any food, decorative garland or anywhere you would use the fresh fruit. 
By the way, Martha Stewart sprinkles sugar on the citrus slices and bakes them for 6 hours at 200*F.   You can use a powdered sweetener like Swerve or Stevia instead of sugar.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Citrus Crisps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 07:36:58 AM »
Interesting recipe, Barbara, thanks for sharing!  I might try these, and use for the fruitcake I made - using Elena's Pantry recipe.  It is fabulous, very moist and tasty.  I used chopped dates and dried cranberries this time, and it came out lovely.  Much higher carb of course, than we would ordinarily go, but for the gluten free and not so low carb folks, a great gift.

Wheat Free Forum

Re: Citrus Crisps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 07:36:58 AM »

Sponsored Links