This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Hey all!! Was looking for a healthy Jumbilia recepie coame across this  (Read 867 times)

wolf-e

• View Profile
Healthy Shrimp Jambalaya

Ingredients
•1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
•1 small onion, chopped
•5 stalks celery, chopped
•1 cup chopped green bell pepper
•1 cup uncooked farro
•2 bay leaves
•1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
•1 tablespoon smoked paprika
•2 teaspoons chili powder
•13 ounces strained tomatoes, or tomato puree
•3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
•1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, thoroughly drained and rinsed
•30 uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
•Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)

Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, deep sautι pan over medium heat.

Add the onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.

Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, celery, bell pepper, farro, bay leaves, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and strained tomatoes. Stir until well combined, and season with salt and pepper.

Add the vegetable broth, stir until combined, and bring to a boil.

When broth begins to boil, reduce to a light simmer, cover, and cook, stirring frequently.

When most of the broth is reduced down and vegetables and farro are nearly tender, after about 15-17 minutes, add the white beans and shrimp.

Stir until well combined, and season with salt and pepper. When the shrimp are cooked through, after about 5 minutes, serve.

Nutrition Information

Serves: 6 |  Serving Size: 1/6 of dish

Per serving: Calories: 297; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 110mg; Sodium: 381mg; Carbohydrate: 37g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 21g

Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 365mg; Iron: 27%; Vitamin A: 50%; Vitamin C: 98%; Calcium: 7%

Now it looks great cept for the cup of Farro.  How bad is that stuff?  It is pretty ancient and I am not particularly gluten sensitive but never tried it before.  ANy one have experience with it?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Hey all!! Was looking for a healthy Jumbilia recepie coame across this
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:09:02 AM »
Wolf-e,

Welcome!

My suggestion is to leave out the farro and reduce your liquid to reflect this.  I would mash the beans and place the jumbalaya on top.  Farro, while an ancient wheat, is still wheat and should be avoided.  Or, since jumbalaya is traditionally served over rice, I would use a small amount of rice since (maybe 1/2 cup for the entire dish.  You can used riced, steamed cauliflower instead of the rice base, those konjac noodles (Miracle Noodles) or even some lentils.  Remember, the recipe is a "jumble" so any substitutions are good. 

Wheat Free Forum

Re: Hey all!! Was looking for a healthy Jumbilia recepie coame across this
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:09:02 AM »

Sponsored Links