This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: It's now or never...  (Read 6356 times)

Effy66

• View Profile
It's now or never...
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »
I don't know why I've always had a weight problem - when I was a little kid I was always chubby - was it because Mum used to say to me, 'You won't get any dessert if you don't eat your main meal!'  I don't know, but from the time I can remember I've always been watching my weight, usually watching it going up and up.  When I was in my early 20s I came across the 'Shape Challenge', a point based lo-carb diet which proved extremely successful for me and I lost much weight.  But then I went back to my old habits of bingeing on full-filling, satiating carbs - bread, pasta, chips, cookies and back to square one.

Having therefore recently finished reading Wheat Belly I know that it's time.  Time to make changes, once and for all.  I'm 50 this year and besides wanting to travel to meet members of my hubby's family for the first time and don't want to be the 'fat aunt', I want to improve my health.  If it doesn't happen this year then it probably never will and that thought depresses me greatly.

Onwards - day one.  (I need to do a good shop to have all my ingredients but I'm keeping it simple until then.)

Breakfast - not good at this unless it's the weekend - would rather sleep an extra hour than eat, but once I got to work I had a coffee and a few walnuts.

Lunch - bought some mozzarella cheese, basil, tomatoes, avocados, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and had a delicious caprese salad.  Didn't miss the bread to mop up the sauce one little bit.

Another coffee.

Dinner - boiled chicken breast and leg, with cabbage, cauliflower and carrot, with a couple of small pieces of butter over the top of the veg.

Will probably have a yoghurt for dessert until I get the chocolate :-)

What I can't understand is why it's okay to have fat?  What's the science behind this?  Not that I'm complaining, I mean, I love olive oil and butter, and the knowledge that I can have cheese is very exciting.. ;-)

I think I need to do a weekly menu soon. 

Day one over n out.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: It's now or never...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:34:11 AM »

Welcome!

To make your transition easier, why don't you explore this web site for the many delicious recipes or even the paleo web sites?  Lots of tasty, easy to fix meals.  Don't forget to initially count your carb intake.  Dr. Davis has a new 10 day detox protocol.  It takes time to replace your old eating habits with new eating habits.  Good tasting food will keep you on the road to wellness!  This way of eating really is very delicious because of the fat content. 

To success!

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply Barbara.

Like others, I've been brainwashed for so many years that fat is bad so I'm struggling a little with using fat.  Meantime, I'll continue and use moderately.

Have to say that last night (when I went to bed), had a bad headache, and got up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet three times!  When I'm eating carbs that never happens.  Headache possibly withdrawal?

Today's food:

Walnuts and coffee for breakfast
Caprese salad for lunch (1 avocado, 1 slab of mozzarella, 1 tomato, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkling of mixed seeds
Poached salmon, 2 egg omelette, salad, yoghurt

Yes, I am feeling hungry in the evenings but compared to what I used to eat (big plate of rice with bread or pasta with stew, and seconds; then later in the evening chips (crisps in the UK) or cake or biscuits ... it's not surprising and my body is having to get used to eating less food.

I finished work late tonight, then had train delays so I don't feel like doing much else now -  I'm disappointed with myself that I haven't gone on my treadmill tonight but tomorrow is another day and I will try to leave work on time so that I can come home and go straight on the treadmill before eating.

Have to try and make my meals more exciting - I can't eat fish and salad, chicken and salad, fish and vegetables, chicken and vegetables otherwise I'll end up completely bored and that won't work.

Over n out for today.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:47:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Fat makes us feel full.  Carbs burn quickly, which causes us to eat more calories.

Here's a really good article with scientific studies:

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »
Hi,

Rita, thanks for your message - especially the information.  I think it's difficult for people to accept that lo-carb is good, and fat even better but I'm trying to get people to read.

Day 3

Oh.. last night I did 20 mins on the treadmill.  Haven't been on for months so wanted to take it easy for the first session.  It's really satisfying when you can go for an hour and just feel you can go on for ever.. even better when you've got some good, upbeat music to stride out to.

Yesterday's meals consisted of the same during the day, but chicken and vegetables this time for dinner, and some pomegranate to dessert (but I think that's quite high in sugar?).

Day 4

I know I'm not drinking enough water even though I'm going to the loo more than ever.  But I'm one of those people that can't drink unless I'm thirsty otherwise it makes me gag. 

Meals today same as 2nd day (caprese salad and salmon etc.) 

Hello cauliflower and green pesto !  Wow, what a treat, can almost make myself believe it's al dente pasta :-)

Tomorrow's another day but so far so good and feeling much 'lighter' already.  I didn't weigh myself at the beginning (too scared haha), but will do on Monday.  I would like to lose between 70 and 84 pounds.  (That's 5-6 stone in UK money hehe.)

Day 4 over n out  ;D

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:24:32 AM »
Great job!  :)

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
Day 5

Feeling much better already.

Same lunch as yesterday - it's so satisfying I don't see why I need to vary it unless I get fed up of it.

Now dinner.  Yes, a little fed up with either chicken or fish and veg or salad, so today I decided to do a wheat-free pizza, sauteeing some mushrooms, chillis, peppers and onions, and then making a 2-egg omelette on which I put the vegetables and then put some grated cheese on top.  Had that with a salad.  Very nice and will add to my list of main meals. 

I need to get more sleep.  I need to drink more water.

Over n out.

Effy66

• View Profile
Re: It's now or never... Day 6
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »
Weekend - normally a wheatathon so for breakfast I  had layers of lettuce and cucumber topped with tuna, fresh coriander and mixed with some mayonnaise.  Very nice.

Dinner was cauliflower rice which, I have to say, I shan't bother with again unless I can find a good way of doing it.  Was disappointed it was soft (I had grated and then roasted to dry it out); with a lovely chicken curry, with salad.

I haven't really been that hungry and if I have, I've eaten a few nuts or had a yoghurt.

I've also been on the treadmill twice this week, and got in some walking and on Monday I will weigh myself for the first time and do then on a weekly basis. 

The success I think will be keeping the food interesting and varied.  The cauliflower rice didn't substitute normal rice for me.  Love the fact that I can eat cheese and eggs.  I am also keeping an eye on calories so it's a lighter mature cheese for me, and trying to opt for lighter options wherever possible - lean meat, not too much oil or butter, and not overdoing the nuts... just enough to keep me satiated.

Tomorrow is another day. 

Over n out.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »
Effy,

Count carbohydrates, not calories!  About 15 per meal, 50 per day.  Your mindset needs to change: FATS are GOOD!  FATS are tasty and filling.  Your body needs good quality fats.  Use lots of butter, sea or himalayan salt, spices and appropriate oils to flavor your food.  The low fat way of eating and cooking has been debunked.  Check this blog, internet and cookbooks for recipes to improve the flavor of cauliflower to your liking.  I mashed it with heavy cream, S&P and favorite spices.  Experiment!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
Hi Effy! If you're hungry, then you're not eating enough fat. I think that was hard in the beginning for most of us because we had been low fat for years.

When you eat low carb, your body does not retain water (a good thing)...therefore, all the loo trips.

I believe the key to success is to empty out of your pantry/frig ALL of the items that you do not intend/want to eat...give away or throw away. Keep your frig stocked with all the good stuff. Do not be caught unprepared, or you will cave and go for the bad stuff. You'll find that most of your groceries go in the frig because you're eating fresh foods...or 1-ingredient frozen veggies, i.e. broccoli as the only ingredient, asparagus as the only ingredient, etc. Prepare your veggies with butter or oil, not sauces. Don't buy much canned stuff. Your caprese salad sounds wonderful. So does your pizza.

Vary your food or you will get tired of it. After my first couple of years, I could hardly eat an egg for a long time. Now we do have them for breakfast, but no longer every day.

I didn't eat less food...just different food. At first I always carried nuts with me because I was AFRAID I was going to be hungry. Actually I'm almost never hungry...very nice.

We've been drinking a lot of green tea lately. May be easy for you to vary with your water.

Good luck...sounds like you're doing well!

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the tips and motivation ladies - I'll certainly take these on board  :D

Am I missing wheat, specifically bread?  Well yes as I love to bake bread, all different types, and up until last week, I regularly made bread every couple of weeks to put in the freezer (my hubby is Iraqi so we I make their style of flat bread called samoun).  Was always a treat to have it fresh from the oven with cheese.  I do miss being able to mop up a stew or something with some nice thick white bread.

Anyway, onto a different subject  ;)   Sunday today so rose late and had lunch of cheese and mushroom omelette.  Spent the afternoon cleaning the house, chilled out afterwards and then prepared dinner - roast beef, cabbage, carrots, baked onion and my 'treat' - roasted sweet potato, followed by a yoghurt.

The hubz will be working nights for the next few weeks.  He was on earlies last week so he had dinner prepared for me.  So this week I shall be wanting meals that I can quickly make when I come home.  Any ideas ladies, besides omelettes?!

Over n out Day Seven.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 06:48:04 PM »
Check this site or Gourmet Girl Cooks for recipes.   Brussells Sprouts and Sausage is one of my favorites.

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »
Thanks Barbara, good website with good recipes!

Monday day 8

Handful of nuts to snack on after coffee this morning.

Tuna mayo with bed of lettuce and cucumber - very nice.

More nuts to snack

Dinner was boiled chicken with a dollop of mayo, with a good plate of salad.

I can never exercise on a Monday evening, too tired after work.  So my treadmill days are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Tonight I have a grocery delivery coming so I can stock up - bought chocolate  ;D

First time to weigh myself.  I'm going through perimenopause so all the weight is, besides everywhere, greatly around my middle.   So yes, the goal is to lose 70lbs (that's 5 UK stone - I'm from the UK - 14lbs = 1 stone).  The most I've ever lost has been 3 stone.  Wish I had weighed myself last week but I was so scared.. however weighing myself tonight, it was the same as a couple of years ago so I would have been 'pleasantly' surprised.

Day 8 over n out.

Effy66

• View Profile
Re: It's now or never... Day 9
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 12:13:49 PM »
Hi there,

I never realised food could be sooo tasty!

Today's lunch was the same as yesterday, just loving tuna and fresh coriander.

I love the feeling of being sated without having to resort to carbs!

And dinner was just scrumptious: 

Mushrooms sauteed in a knob of butter, then added 2 eggs for a mushroom omlette.  On the side I had some fresh smoked salmon, avocado and a lovely salad, sprinkled with some pink salt - recently discovered that Himalayan salt and my goodness it's nice!

Finished off with a hot cup of tea to warm my fingers; and little later will jump on the treadmill.

People look at me with disbelief when I say that I no longer eat carbs, that I'm eating butter, cheese, eggs, oil etc., they say 'Oh but you need carbohydrates!', and those are the ones that, ah hem, look like they need to stay away from the carbs!  ;D

Over n out day 9

TravelinGal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 08:04:33 AM »
Hi Effy.  I just started this WOE two days ago (Monday). I turned 50 in December and I'm also dealing with "the change". I was prepared for hot flashes, but not for the extra belly fat or the memory loss/brain fog.  I doubt all the symptoms of peri-menopause will be removed by this WOE, but I'm still hopeful they will at least improve! 

Sounds like you are doing well so far.  Keep on keeping on!
Robin
Robin

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
Yes, they will! 

It might take some time depending on your overall health, but no grain, no sugar way of eating goes a long way in eliminating your issues.  Add the supplements recommended, water intake and you will feel like a new person. 

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
Hi Robin,

It's a pain, isn't it.  I started peri in my early 40s and I'm 50 this year, main symptoms thankfully only for the last three years.  I believe Barbara is correct in that this way of eating is better for us at this stage of our lives.  Are you keeping a journal on here too?  Lots of support from this website to help you  :)   One day at a time.

Effy

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
Another day..

Got on the treadmill last night, a couple of hours after eating.  Felt much better doing it this way than what I normally do, which is exercising before eating. 

Lovely lunch today of tuna with chili pepper, lime and dollop of mayo on a bed of avocado and rocket, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.   
Dinner was same as yesterday, smoked salmon, mushroom omelette, side salad and some raw cauliflower and green pesto.

Snacking is always nuts.

Oh, and bought some 90% chocolate (wow, that's bitter!, but rather nice).

Must say my 'movements' aren't as regular as before so just need to up the liquid intake.

At work we have cupboards full of cookies (biscuits), chips (crisps), sweets in bowls dotted around the office - lots of non-healthy items, along with bowls of fruit etc.  Before my current regime, I would often have a few cookies with my morning coffee, then for lunch maybe a packet of chips with again, a few cookies.  I would sometimes bring in a salad but not every day, but I would still snack on the chips and cookies throughout the day and then dive into a large pile of rice, and slices of bread when I got home, for dinner.  Now I don't bother with them - I have bags of nuts in my desk drawers and after having my lovely lunch, there's no room for anything else!  See the impact of empty carbs - makes us crave more, yet the fulfilling protein lunches/dinner keeps us going for longer.

Day.. 10 (I think) over n out.

TravelinGal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »
Yes, I have a diary here too.  Diary of a Wheaty Girl. (diary of a wimpy kid was on my mind for some reason..LOL)
Robin

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »
Yes, I have a diary here too.  Diary of a Wheaty Girl. (diary of a wimpy kid was on my mind for some reason..LOL)

And it makes for good reading  ;) ;D

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
Oh bad anxiety today, low tolerance for certain work colleague's continual busybodying and trying to teach me how to suck eggs.  Had lunch and almost didn't taste it I was so uptight.  Arrghh hate that feeling but my bloody was boiling. 

Anyway.  Almost weekend.

Was going to have chicken and salad tonight but hubby didn't take the chicken from the freezer so it was salmon again with a cheese and chili omelette. 

Plus 20 mins on the treadmill.  It will increase but it's slow going as I'm so tired in the evenings.

I decided that I'd like to try making some chicken patties with chicken mince, eggs and leeks etc., will see how it goes next week.

Have a day out of the office training tomorrow and lunch will be provided.  Not quite sure what will be lunch, hoping some salad - besides the obvious sandwiches which of course I'll refuse.  Must remember to take my nuts with me!

Advocating the diet to other work colleagues who can't believe that, from what I'm eating, I can feel full!  Well it's true.  I'm always very satisfied after my protein lunch and dinners.   Except today.  Feeling a little emotional made me want to reach for some carbs, cookies, bread, anything that would 'hug' me.

Over n out day 11

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »
Day.. 12

Training day so grabbed a couple cups of coffee and some nuts.

Lunch, thank goodness, included some salad rather than the normal fare of sandwiches that one would expect, but it was just a few spoonfuls so rather hungry today.

Came home to mincemeat kebab (just mince and onion, baked), some boiled chicked, avocado and salad.  Cup of tea and yoghurt later.

Hubby bought me some halloumi to have for breakfast tomorrow.

Going to try making some kale chips.

Over n out day 12.

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
Oh dear.. the weekend.

I never had carbs but tended to overeat on other things.

Saturday I had halloumi for breakfast which was ok.  But throughout the day until dinner I was snacking on nuts - cashews, brazils, pecans etc., more than a handful!  Dinner was a chicken roast, again ok but afterwards, snacking on nuts.  Nuts are good but they are calorific.  It's a waste of time eating extra calories when I'm trying to lose weight, in my opinion, even though they are 'good' calories.

Sunday - rest of halloumi and a whole pack of smoked salmon.  More snacking on nuts.  Dinner was carb-free meatballs with salad. 

I haven't done any exercise over the weekend, just sit on my backside watching tv.  It has been cold and perhaps I've been a little lazy and bored, and yes, tired (I work all week and sometimes it's mentally very tiring), due to not sleeping well.

I'm not looking forward to getting on the scales tomorrow (Day 15)

Over n out.

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
It's the beginning of a new week and I held back on the nuts, too busy at work!

Lunch was the usual mozzarella salad.
Dinner was some chicken, salad and kale chips.

Oh boy!  First time i've made kale chips and they are delicious!!!  They'll definitely replace the nuts for snacks at the weekend.

And got on the scales - lost 2.2lbs - yay!!!

So ending on a happy note, day 16..

Over n out!

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
We had a staff function in the office today - I avoided the carb canapes and instead opted for the mozzarella/tomato on sticks.  But.. I forgot that the fizzy lemon drink I was drinking was probably full of carbs.. was so busy with chatting, just completely went off the radar.

I hadn't had a big lunch, not many nuts, and have just eaten a nice cheese and mushroom omelette with salad.

I've noticed that when I first started this regime, I felt much lighter, my stomach flatter but now it feels solid again.  Why?  Perhaps I'm not drinking enough water?

Over n out day 17

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 04:58:44 AM »
It takes time for your body to adjust.  Water is important to help clean out your system and allow your cells to heal.  Nuts are healthy and have many benefits, but they are high in carbs so you need to calculate how many carbs you are actually eating with them.  Remember that all the accidental ingestion of grains and sugars will set you back days if not longer in your quest for better health and normal weight. 

Effy66

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 03:34:24 PM »
It takes time for your body to adjust.  Water is important to help clean out your system and allow your cells to heal.  Nuts are healthy and have many benefits, but they are high in carbs so you need to calculate how many carbs you are actually eating with them.  Remember that all the accidental ingestion of grains and sugars will set you back days if not longer in your quest for better health and normal weight.

Hi Barb,

I thought nuts were ok to eat; if they're high in carbs, what sort of snacks can I have?

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »
Effy, it sounds like you are really settling in! Good work on the weight loss!

If you are getting enough fat in your meals, you probably will not need a snack. If you can stomach eggs in the morning, try two of those. You could make a bunch of delicious deviled eggs ahead, so you don't have to cook in the morning.

Try a magnesium supplement before you go to bed. I use a magnesium blend, and it helps keep me "regular".

Best..

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 11:55:51 AM »
Effy 66,

There are many recipes here on this blog, on Dr. Davis's blog and the internet paleo sites for snack items.  If you make bulletproof coffee or tea or just take about 3 MCT capsules you will find that you aren't hungry for snacks the way you used to be.  Meals fill you up.  Increased fat intake is very satisfying and you aren't nearly as hungry as you used to be. 

Dr. Davis has a recipe for a delicious breakfast cheese cake, there are muffins-in-a-minute, egg, vegetable,sausage muffins, etc.  Stay away from the pre-made "energy" bars which are full of sugar.  Gourmet Girl Cooks has many recipes.   

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 04:48:34 PM »
Greentree, I'm wondering what your magnesium blend is? What brand, where you get it, etc. and what is the blend (if you will give me a website, I can check that out). I have such a hard time taking magnesium (diahrrea)...I have tried many brands. Any info you can give me is appreciated.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
Deanna, I am using Nature's Way....it is in the natural section of supplements at my Kroger. It is a capsule, vs. a horse sized tablet!

It affects DH that way if he takes more than one...I have a fairly cast iron digestive system, and I take 3 every evening right before bed.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
Greentree, right now I'm using an Epsom lotion from Walgreens. With a lotion I can use tiny little amounts. I usually rub it into my wrists. It works fairly well some of the time...hard to regulate dosage of course. Thanks for the info.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
Effy 66

-  Just checking in to see how you are doing.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »

Sponsored Links