Main Discussion Area > Personal Diaries

It's now or never...

(1/7) > >>

Effy66:
I don't know why I've always had a weight problem - when I was a little kid I was always chubby - was it because Mum used to say to me, 'You won't get any dessert if you don't eat your main meal!'  I don't know, but from the time I can remember I've always been watching my weight, usually watching it going up and up.  When I was in my early 20s I came across the 'Shape Challenge', a point based lo-carb diet which proved extremely successful for me and I lost much weight.  But then I went back to my old habits of bingeing on full-filling, satiating carbs - bread, pasta, chips, cookies and back to square one.

Having therefore recently finished reading Wheat Belly I know that it's time.  Time to make changes, once and for all.  I'm 50 this year and besides wanting to travel to meet members of my hubby's family for the first time and don't want to be the 'fat aunt', I want to improve my health.  If it doesn't happen this year then it probably never will and that thought depresses me greatly.

Onwards - day one.  (I need to do a good shop to have all my ingredients but I'm keeping it simple until then.)

Breakfast - not good at this unless it's the weekend - would rather sleep an extra hour than eat, but once I got to work I had a coffee and a few walnuts.

Lunch - bought some mozzarella cheese, basil, tomatoes, avocados, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and had a delicious caprese salad.  Didn't miss the bread to mop up the sauce one little bit.

Another coffee.

Dinner - boiled chicken breast and leg, with cabbage, cauliflower and carrot, with a couple of small pieces of butter over the top of the veg.

Will probably have a yoghurt for dessert until I get the chocolate :-)

What I can't understand is why it's okay to have fat?  What's the science behind this?  Not that I'm complaining, I mean, I love olive oil and butter, and the knowledge that I can have cheese is very exciting.. ;-)

I think I need to do a weekly menu soon. 

Day one over n out.

Barbara from New Jersey:

Welcome!

To make your transition easier, why don't you explore this web site for the many delicious recipes or even the paleo web sites?  Lots of tasty, easy to fix meals.  Don't forget to initially count your carb intake.  Dr. Davis has a new 10 day detox protocol.  It takes time to replace your old eating habits with new eating habits.  Good tasting food will keep you on the road to wellness!  This way of eating really is very delicious because of the fat content. 

To success!

Effy66:
Thanks for the reply Barbara.

Like others, I've been brainwashed for so many years that fat is bad so I'm struggling a little with using fat.  Meantime, I'll continue and use moderately.

Have to say that last night (when I went to bed), had a bad headache, and got up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet three times!  When I'm eating carbs that never happens.  Headache possibly withdrawal?

Today's food:

Walnuts and coffee for breakfast
Caprese salad for lunch (1 avocado, 1 slab of mozzarella, 1 tomato, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkling of mixed seeds
Poached salmon, 2 egg omelette, salad, yoghurt

Yes, I am feeling hungry in the evenings but compared to what I used to eat (big plate of rice with bread or pasta with stew, and seconds; then later in the evening chips (crisps in the UK) or cake or biscuits ... it's not surprising and my body is having to get used to eating less food.

I finished work late tonight, then had train delays so I don't feel like doing much else now -  I'm disappointed with myself that I haven't gone on my treadmill tonight but tomorrow is another day and I will try to leave work on time so that I can come home and go straight on the treadmill before eating.

Have to try and make my meals more exciting - I can't eat fish and salad, chicken and salad, fish and vegetables, chicken and vegetables otherwise I'll end up completely bored and that won't work.

Over n out for today.

Rita:
Welcome to the forum.

Fat makes us feel full.  Carbs burn quickly, which causes us to eat more calories.

Here's a really good article with scientific studies:

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Effy66:
Hi,

Rita, thanks for your message - especially the information.  I think it's difficult for people to accept that lo-carb is good, and fat even better but I'm trying to get people to read.

Day 3

Oh.. last night I did 20 mins on the treadmill.  Haven't been on for months so wanted to take it easy for the first session.  It's really satisfying when you can go for an hour and just feel you can go on for ever.. even better when you've got some good, upbeat music to stride out to.

Yesterday's meals consisted of the same during the day, but chicken and vegetables this time for dinner, and some pomegranate to dessert (but I think that's quite high in sugar?).

Day 4

I know I'm not drinking enough water even though I'm going to the loo more than ever.  But I'm one of those people that can't drink unless I'm thirsty otherwise it makes me gag. 

Meals today same as 2nd day (caprese salad and salmon etc.) 

Hello cauliflower and green pesto !  Wow, what a treat, can almost make myself believe it's al dente pasta :-)

Tomorrow's another day but so far so good and feeling much 'lighter' already.  I didn't weigh myself at the beginning (too scared haha), but will do on Monday.  I would like to lose between 70 and 84 pounds.  (That's 5-6 stone in UK money hehe.)

Day 4 over n out  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version