This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Just started WB and worried about a BP reading.  (Read 1691 times)

cosmicherb70

• View Profile
Just started WB and worried about a BP reading.
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:57:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

I' just started the Wheat Belly detox plan on Monday and have lost 4lbs already. I'm still feeling pretty bad at times, with tiredness and aches and pains. I guess I have a lot of detox to do given how much I've abused my body over the last 20 years...

Anyway, tonight I took a BP reading tonight and was a bit alarmed to see it was actually higher than last weekend before I started! It was 170/108 tonight and had been 176/86 last week.

So the question is, am I worrying for naught? Is this a normal part of detox? I have been a bit stressed at times today as well...maybe that's contributing?

Any reassurance would be welcome!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Just started WB and worried about a BP reading.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:25:22 PM »

Cosmicherb,
Your bp will go down as you continue on the grain/sugar free way of eating.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and don't forget the magnesium.
You might want to take your bp reading after sitting calmly for 20 minutes, timing it to make sure you haven't moved around.  BP varies significantly with movement and stress. 

Don't forget to continue taking  your prescribed medications until you have lost more weight and your body has a chance to recover from the way grains and sugar have stressed your body, which may take many months.  Everyone is different and reacts differently when first starting.

Don't worry!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »
I would suggest magnesium also. It will lower your bp.

cosmicherb70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
Thanks all. I'm already taking magnesium tablets. I think my detox is peaking. I was able to bring it down a bit with some mindfulness earlier. I'm not going to stress about it...vicious circle!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  Glad the detox is almost over.   I agree with the magnesium.  You might add more dark green leafy greens, as the magnesium in there will be more bioavailable.

cosmicherb70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:17 AM »
Well last night it was down to 143/91. Looks like I'm on the right track.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 08:19:21 AM »
Awesome!

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluid, too. You will be losing water and the heart has to work harder if you become dehydrated.   Be sure you are getting potassium and sodium. You've probably been told to stay away from salt because of your bP, but eating fewer processed foods means you won't be getting much unless you add it. And losing a lot of fluid can deplete your body of electrolytes. So have some salt (don't go overboard) eat leafy greens and avocados for potassium.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »

Sponsored Links