This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Protein drinks ?  (Read 1421 times)

TravelinGal

• View Profile
Protein drinks ?
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
As a recent bariatric surgery patient, I need protein supplements to get enough protein in my daily diet. I am unable to fit enough 'real' protein in my tiny tummy.

I know it has less desirable sweeteners but it is an issue I will have to deal with. So, other than the sweeteners, how does this look? 

Here is the nutrition info and ingredients of the one protein that doesn't upset my stomach

Robin

TravelinGal

• View Profile
Re: Protein drinks ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:25:46 AM »
Did I stump everyone?  Or is the photo too hard to read?
Robin

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:35:45 AM »
Very hard to read.  It does have surcralose as an ingredient.  This is known to cause a lot of gastrointestinal issues.  Dr. Davis has lots of recipes for smoothies and there are many unsweetened protein powders available.  Learn to use the recommended sweeteners if you need to sweeten. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »
I don't know that much about protein shakes, as that's mainly used for people who are trying to build muscle.   I guess I'm more of a whole foods girl, so I try to avoid all the processed stuff.

Can you eat smaller amounts of protein throughout the day?  Do you have any issues with eating an egg?   Is it hard for you to digest?

Hemp is a really good source of protein as well, and yummy on full fat yogurt.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »
I just asked my nutrition group, and had several people recommend the brand Vega One.

TravelinGal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
My bariatric Doctor/surgeon wants us to use Whey Protein Isolate based products as they are the most readily absorbed by the body.  An average woman should have around 46g of protein daily.  A female bariatric patient needs between 60g (after surgery) up to 100g a day (by a year after surgery).  😮  To get that much protein I would have eat all day long. LOL
 I ordered a 6 oz steak last night and over the 2+ hours we were there talking I was able to get about half of it down. I ate the rest today for lunch - pushed it too far and now my stomach is uncomfortable and it feels like I have food stuck in my esophagus. 

I also have to take special vitamins as absorption of vitamins is altered after surgery (not as bad as gastric bypass patients though!).   
Robin

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 01:56:45 AM »
J. Robb Protein Powder and Dr. Mercola's Protein Powders (several kinds) are all excellent quality.  Check local stores or mail order.  You might want to call around to inquire if your stores carry protein powders without any sweetener added.  Add you own to taste. 

When you call the smaller shops, inquire about local food co-ops for meats and produce.  Not everyone wants to purchase a side of beef or run a separate freezer.  The co-ops usually deal with this problem quite nicely.  Check your local farmers market as well. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 01:56:45 AM »

Sponsored Links