This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Check out this free range chicken farm  (Read 2458 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Check out this free range chicken farm
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:33:45 AM »
That did my soul good to see, how happy those chickens are!  Wish I was closer to buy eggs at that farm.  As it is, I try to find the best choices around here, and lucky to have a small country store that carries eggs from a farm.  I haven't seen how they are raised with my own eyes, but can only hope they have a good life, as these chicks do.  This store also carries grass fed meats and organic or raw milk products.  I don't always make it over there, but starting to make more of an effort.  It's well worth the extra effort and money!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:11:01 AM »
I can't help but wonder how they get the chickens back in at night.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
re: I can't help but wonder how they get the chickens back in at night.

Normally, they go back into the hen house on their own to lay eggs or at dusk.

We've only had to herd them, once, when they ranged to someplace out of sight of our chicken tractor and it got dark.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:44:04 AM »
That's a cool chicken tractor.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
Boundless,

I'm a city girl.  Please explain how you use this tractor attachment to gather your errant chickens. 
Why wouldn't the chickens follow the herd back to their nest especially at dusk or stormy weather?   ;D

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:58:56 PM »
Bob, your chickens should feel lucky to have a nice caring dad like you!   ;)   I, too, look for farm eggs, although I don't know how the chickens live.  If the egg box states free range, then I feel better.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »
re: Please explain how you use this tractor attachment to gather your errant chickens. Why wouldn't the chickens follow the herd back to their nest especially at dusk or stormy weather?

"Chicken tractor" is just farm lingo for a mobile chicken house - doesn't even mean it moves very often - and almost never behind a real tractor. It's just easily moved, in this case by hand. When we move it, we do so either with the chickens in it, or keep it within their sight, so they have a rough idea of where to find it.

But not being terribly bright, they can get places where they can't figure out how to get back (around a fence), or they let the tractor get out of sight until it's too dark (other side of house will do). Round'up time.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:13:36 AM »
Thank you for your explanation Boundless. 

My city slicker based  thoughts were that the trailer was like a bus and you attached it to the tractor and stopped where the chickens were.  You pressed a button and the door/cage opens.  The attraction of food or other chickens would get the strays to enter by themselves or you would have to run around to catch them and then shove them inside.  The chickens would be tired, wet or hungry so they would eventually learn that the mobile provides relief.

And "no!" I have never seen a chicken farm.    ;D

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 06:42:23 AM »
Chickens are really amazing little creatures. Thought of as stupid, the cleverness of their instinct is actually amazing to observe (of course, to those [how DO I say this nicely?] of a certain age, that would mean looking up from the phone).

They generally go right back to the place from which they awoke.  They communicate in a language. Amazing.

It annoys me to see "vegetarian fed" on egg cartons, as chickens are not vegetarians! 

TravelinGal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
re: I can't help but wonder how they get the chickens back in at night.

Normally, they go back into the hen house on their own to lay eggs or at dusk.

We've only had to herd them, once, when they ranged to someplace out of sight of our chicken tractor and it got dark.

Oh my word!  That is SUCH an awesome idea!  I have toyed around with the idea of chickens when we move but was scared off of it by my research.  I'm totally back on the chicken bandwagon with this!

I saw the free range chicken video on Facebook and I wondered the same thing, Rita!  Good to hear the go back on their own.

Robin

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
Robin, chickens are one of the easiest livestock, as long as you don't have a ton of predator pressure....I have to be home at dusk to close the coop, or the coons have a feast!

That is more sex link hens than I can even imagine! I wonder what the INSIDE of that barn looks like?

Did you notice those divits in the dirt that the hens trotted over? That is where they get their dust baths!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »

Sponsored Links