This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Rye-like Rolls  (Read 4183 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Rye-like Rolls
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:42:03 AM »
I have been making these little rolls for years now, they are my go-to when I need just a bite of something rye-like - that was my favorite bread, and since it doesn't have any of the addictive grains, it doesn't lead to over eating.  One recipe makes 12 tiny rolls, and I cut them into little slices and eat with butter or liver wurst, or use them to serve little appetizers for company.  Everyone accepts them readily as "normal bread" and I am glad to have these as a special treat.

The original recipe is from Maria Emmerich, she makes the sub rolls, or panini, but I enjoy this size for portion control, and also the psyllium powder can make them a little gummy inside, when not baked completely, so the smaller size allows them to bake through, and dry out.  I keep them in a brown paper bag, or sometimes no bad, on the counter.  They get eaten so fast, I have never had to freeze them, but I think they would freeze well.  I share them with my daughter, the grandson loves them!

Rye-like Rolls - makes 12

1/2 cup coconut flour
5 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
2 tsp baking powder
salt, spices as desired (I love rosemary, caraway seed, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds etc.)
4 large eggs
1 cup of boiling water.

Mix dry well, add eggs in and mix well, add boiling water. Mix and let stand a minute.
Have oven preheated to 350, parchment paper on the baking sheet.
With large spoon, dole out 12 heaps and shape them into rolls.
I like sprinkling with sesame seeds. 
Bake 40 minutes and let cool slightly before eating.
They keep well in the fridge, open so as not to get soggy.

I uploaded my pictures to photo bucket, and it should show as a slide show not sure it will work, please let me know if you can see them!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/barbarak/embed/slideshow/rye%20like%20rolls"></iframe>

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Rye-like Rolls
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »
Hi BarbinNC,

Thanks for the recipe and loved those pix!  Your grandson has grown a lot since the last time you posted a picture of him! Handsome little boy.   :)

Maria Emmerich's recipe uses apple cider vinegar (2 1/2 TBS or 1 oz.)  Do you think this is needed?  You didn't list it as an ingredient.

Also, her measurement is for 1 tsp salt.  I like to grind up the caraway seeds in a coffee grinder so they don't get caught in between my teeth.  I really like the idea of making little rolls. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »
Thanks for posting this recipe!  I've been looking for something easy and these hit the spot!!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »
Barbara, I have not used the ACV, when I copied down the recipe for myself, I don't remember it being used.  She must have made a change later on, which happens sometimes.  Not really missing it, but might try adding next time to see if it makes a difference.  Since I use baking powder, not sure it needs it, usually it activates baking soda in baking, right?  And salt .. yes, forgot to add how much, I just ad lib my spices, but 1 tsp. sounds about right to me. 

and PS - thanks for the compliments on grandson, he sure is a cutie patootie, isn't he?  :)

Loanne, it is the easiest bread like recipe I've come across, that I actually like.  I came across another similar recipe last night, but it has more ingredients, one thing I do love lately, is simple and easy, with few ingredients.  But it looks good too, so might try at some point.   http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/12/Ultimate-Keto-Buns

Let me know if you give the rolls a try, would love to hear your opinion, so far everyone who made them has loved them!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
I'll make both types this weekend.  Thanks for the forward!!   :)

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:46:42 PM »

BarbinNC: Not trying to "rain on your parade" by any means here. Just giving suggestions for other sources for this type of bread here, that's all.

In case anyone is interested, there are other sources for this type of bread, neither of which I have tried myself, so don't know how well these bake up. There's probably many other "rye" type breads out there. It's just a matter of picking & choosing to see what you & your family members will like.

Wheat Belly 150 recipes book, by Dr. Davis on page 226: Rye Bread

Also, GourmetGirlCooks.com has 3 different types of "Rye" Bread on her blog.
I've used many of her recipes, which she bakes herself (some a few times over, in different ways until she's satisfied herself as to how they turn out), and have never been disappointed with any of them.

Many public libraries now carry Dr. Davis's books, so no need to buy one just for a recipe or two. Fair warning: you may have to reserve one from the library....they're popular books.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
Hi there - and no worries about raining on any parades, lol I am always happy to see new recipes and ideas, esp. when they are tried and true.  I check out each and every one suggested, and love the Wheatbelly and Gourmet Girl recipes!  Have tried many.  The thing I like about my rye rolls (and I am sure this goes for each of us here) is the fact that I've made them so many times now, so they are second nature, always come out great the few ingredients and ease of putting it together,  and - most important of all - my grandson loves them, haha!!!  :)

But yes, I do peruse other recipes often, and just found one that resembles a rye crisp bread, will post it when I try it and if like it. I love rye crisp and miss it with some cream cheese and smoked salmon.  Had to find bulk sesame seeds first, and did this weekend, at Publix of all places.  I think I have everything on hand now, and will try that mostly seed bread soon. 

Oh, I did make the rolls including the ACV last week, and they were very good.  Not sure I noticed a difference, but like having that added healthy ingredient, so will be adding that going forward!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »
Hi BarbinNC,

I really like the rye rolls, especially your idea of making them small.  I used to make Dr. Davis's recipe for pumpernickel bread, then slice and freeze it.
It tastes good, but not really very pliable or good for toasting or spreading a filling, like a tuna sandwich.

Like you, I really appreciate the new ideas and recipes posted.  Excited about the rye crisp recipe!  Let us know how it works.   :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
Hi Barb, I made the Rye-like Rolls and we liked them a lot!!! Mine were a little gummy in the middle, so I cooked them about 5 minutes longer. Didn't quite do the trick. Any suggestions? I told DH we might want more herbs, but he said he liked it the way it turned out. Thank you! Let me know please if you have any ideas on the "gummy in the middle."

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 06:17:50 AM »
Hi Deanna - yes, the psyllium can cause this type of bread to get a bit gummy inside.  May I ask which brand you are using?  I think that can make a difference, but I've only used NOW brand, and I know that Maria Emmerich uses the Jay Robb, so that right there might be one cause.  If you are using a different brand, you might cut back just a wee bit on the powder in the recipe.

The other is, as you rightly suspected and tried, the baking time increase.  I've tried two things, first, baking longer, or leaving them in after turning oven off, until cooled.  That helped. 
Also, I sometimes slice them open, either like you would a roll, but more often I slice thin slices - like you would a loaf of bread, tiny little slices, and just let them "dry out" on the cutting board.  We mostly use them for our pate, so that is a perfect bite size piece for us.

They also seem less gummy if sliced after cooling.

I hope that helps, you could also toast the rolls, after slicing, that would definitely make them less gummy.

But I'm glad you and your hubby enjoyed the taste - they have really been nice to have for that once a week treat for the GS to have some liver pate - I delight in his lip smacking and exclamations of
"dats so good, Mimi!!"   :D

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »
Deanna,

BarbinNC is correct.  Your oven temperature, air circulation and freshness of the ingredients seems to matter as well.  I make 3" rolls and slice them horizontally into maybe 3 slices after the rolls have cooled.  I cool them on a rack so air circulates under the rolls. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »
Thanks Barb and Barbara for your response. My psyllium seed husk is from GNC. I'll try a different kind next time I buy. I may try slicing them open also.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 07:53:35 AM »
Deanna, it must be the psyllium brand you're using, at least I think so.  I just made a batch and pulled them out of the oven.  I changed the recipe up somewhat, added 1/4 cup hemp heart seeds, an extra 1/2 hot water and an extra egg.  Baked them at 375 for 40 minutes and just sliced one open, even hot it seems pretty good to me.  I would definitely let them cool before slicing and then dry them out somewhat.  The worst thing is to put them in a plastic bag, that really makes them limp.  I will bring some to my daughter and Mom/sister today, and got us some good liverwurst to eat them with.  YUM! :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
Barb, I made these again today. We love them! This time I turned them off and left them in the oven...seemed to work great. We love the slight rye taste. Thank you!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 12:33:56 PM »
Barb, if you don't put them in a plastic bag, what do you store them in?

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 05:50:26 AM »
I have little brown sandwich bags, they store well in those for short time in fridge.  Or I even just put them in a small bowl or basket and keep in fridge.  If I freeze them (which I did for first time last time I baked them) I put them in small plastic bags, that works well for that purpose.  But the plastic bag with make them too moist, I think.  You can always pop them in toaster oven, if that happens - sliced in half. 

The little guy ate two by himself, yesterday, thick with butter and liverwurst.  He just loves that stuff, and I'm glad for the good nutrition is affords him.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »
I store my rolls or breads in my old bread keeper which allows then to "breathe".  If there are too many, I slice everything, wrap individual portions in waxed paper and then in ziplock bags or plastic containers and freeze them.  Sometimes restaurant supply stores will sell those small sheets you see in grocery store bakery departments.  I try to use those to wrap the baked goods so they don't touch the plastic and this keeps frost off them.  I write contents and date on the label!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »
Thanks Barbara and Barb. I left mine overnight in the plastic bag I had already put them in. The next morning I sliced them and used them for cheese toast...toasted under the broiler...they were delicious and we ate ALL OF THE REST OF THEM! I'll put them in something different next time...probably doesn't matter because I can see they're not going to last long.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »
It makes me happy to know that you and the hubby are enjoying the rolls, thanks for letting us know!!  :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
Gourmet Girl Cooks just posted a mini muffin/roll recipe on her blog site and for Honeyville.  It uses shredded cheddar and cream cheese.  You make them in a muffin tin.  Keep these in mind just in case you get tired of the rye-like rolls!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »
Thank you Barbara, these look very good, will give them a try!

The funny thing is, ever since my daughter gave up dairy, I've been avoiding it myself, for the most part.  I still love heavy cream in my coffee, and find it's an addiction of sorts   :o    But I haven't really used any cream cheese, sour cream etc.  But for me and the grand, these would be easy and look delicious!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »

Sponsored Links