This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New guy, sayin' hi.  (Read 2882 times)

martygras

• View Profile
New guy, sayin' hi.
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
Hi gang,
My name is Marty and I signed up to post because I wanted to thank everyone here for providing such USEFUL information, opinions, tips, links and general sanity in a very confusing world.

Thanks mucho to Rita for creating this forum and to Bob Niland for posting some of the most useful information I've run across on the web. Bob is truly being a hero by doing A LOT of translating of data and test results into layman's terms. Everyone here is very helpful and positive.

Oh, and of course Dr. Davis. He provided the key and a map. I found the treasure.

I would have laughed if someone told me a year ago that I could turn my life around by removing a few weird grasses from my life. So my wife and I are now W/G free, 4 months for me, 3 for my wife. I am down in weight (306-56=250lbs) and she is down about 10, but she has much less to lose than I. My son is voluntarily trying to transition to being W/G free even though he is a very thin teen. And it's funny that there is nothing he can eat at school except banana's and oranges.  He's starting to understand what wheat was doing to his dad.

I don't miss the wheat, corn, rice etc. Nor do I miss my T2D, peripheral neuropathy, depression, joint pain, stomach problems... or cravings. I don't have cravings anymore. I'm 51 years old and this is a completely new feeling for me.

I feel like I've become a member of a secret society though. My diet is now somewhat upside down compared to the masses, and I feel a hell of a lot better.

I tip my internet hat at y'all,
Marty

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: New guy, sayin' hi.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:19 AM »
Welcome Marty.....this is a great supportive, informative group. Best of luck to you and your family!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:45:35 AM »
Hi Marty,

Welcome!  You will fee better and better a time goes on.  What everyone else is eating will start tasting awful to you and you wonder how you ever could have eaten that for so long.  You will watch your friends and family get fat or just be overweight and start having aches and pains,  then "conditions," then the prescriptions, etc.  feeling awful most of the time.  You, on the other hand will be feeling better and better.  Your health issues will diminish, you will have more energy and you won't have a tray full of expensive prescriptions.

Keep us posted!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
I'm glad you found the information useful and that you joined us Marty.    Congratulations on your weight loss.  That is fantastic!

I know what you mean about the school system.   It's pretty pathetic.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
re: and to Bob Niland for posting some of the most useful information I've run across on the web.

Thanks. If that's based on what I contribute to the Wheat Belly Blog, readers might have noticed that it fell silent a couple of days ago. Dr. D. has the expiry on comments set to 14 days, and hasn't posted anything for 16 or more, due to a hot project with a hard deadline. This has happened before, and I expect new traffic shortly.

If you haven't followed the crumbs to it, here's a link to a page with the various reference articles I rely on for answering common blog questions.

re: I feel like I've become a member of a secret society though.

It's getting less secret every day, as people stumble upon it or figure it out for themselves. I was just watching Ivor Cummins (The Fat Emporer) in a video intro to a screening of Widowmaker, and what he's worked out (based on skepticism of what a standard lipid panel supposedly said about him) appears to be an independent clone of Wheat belly, Grain Brain, etc.

re: My diet is now somewhat upside down compared to the masses, and I feel a hell of a lot better.

Not "somewhat", but almost entirely. Over 98% of what passes as "food" is unfit for routine human consumption, and the old food pyramid scheme really is upside down.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 07:05:59 AM »
If you're on FB, there are two WB pages.....one is public (Wheat Belly).....and one is private (WB ten day detox).....both are quite active with daily postings.

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
Oh my, I guess I should check the forum on the weekend.
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Aside from the original WB book, I augmented my learning by using the WB blog, and possibly more importantly, the comments section. Then I found this forum and resource.

Next steps:
I am slowly getting my family converted to wheat/grain free. Sugar is still a problem and is proving to be more difficult to kick than wheat was, for me at least.
Soon to address vitamin D and iodine thanks to the discussions going on here and on the WB blog.

Happy Monday everyone.
Marty

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »
Martygras,

I handled the sugar problem by purchasing recommended substitutes.  I use Swerve in cooking and baking, but found I didn't like it in my coffee.  I use Stevia for that.  You just have to be careful about stevia brands with maltodextrin in it,  (Now brand) so read the labels.  I have been using Plnt brand from The Vitamin Shoppe.  I don't care for the taste of brands with inulin (a prebiotic) or other additives for my coffee or tea.  Purchase the smallest size possible of your sweetener because your tastes will change as time goes on or you might not like that particular kind.

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »
Thanks Barbara fNJ,
Recommended replacements. Oh yeah.
That's good advice which also made me consider that I had got rid of the remaining sugar in the house, but I just stopped adding any sweetener to my tea or coffee. Maybe I went a bit too strict.  ;D

My wife bought Splenda packets (Truvia?) for the coffee/tea which is a bit weird tasting to me still, but I will look into Swerve as you mentioned. I have some xylitol was going to try in cooking some WB recipes, but have not yet.

Big challenge will be to get my 17 YO son to dump the sugar. Even though he is tall and thin, he is already voluntarily on board with the wheat and grain elimination as long as he is aware his food has wheat or grains in it. I showed him a Twizzlers ingredient label and that pretty much showed him what was up. (second ingredient is wheat)

Thanks all,
Marty

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:27:21 PM »
What tastes sweet to you might not taste sweet to other family members.  Don't discard a sweetener just because you don't care for the taste or it isn't sweet enough for you.  Have other family members try it.  The longer you remain grain free, the more sensitive you are to sugar and sugar equivalents.
Check ingredient labels on everything! 

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:25 AM »
Yes, good point, our tastes are all over the road.

My son suffers from SPD and he can taste something and it is very pleasant for the first bite, and then the second bite tastes completely different, and is perceived as bad. Very strange sensory disorder indeed.

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
Update:
It's good to hear success stories, so I thought I would post an update to my progress.
Looking at my original post almost a year to the day, I am now @ 195 lb. (down from over 300 a year and a half ago)
I went all the way W/G free and had to change the way I lived and ate. My kitchen is completely different than a year ago. (I'm a guy BTW) Ya gotta reinvent the kitchen to cook this way. I would like to believe than my kitchen is very much like that of our grandparents, where we make everything from scratch using simple ingredients. Only, we now know that some of those ingredients are not for human consumption. (wheat/grains/sugar)

Weight is down, pains are gone, especially my back pain. No need for any diabetes medications, or any medications for that matter. That's wild considering what a mess I was 2 years ago.

The downside is that I'm going broke trying to buy clothes that fit. I get about 2-3 months before I have to send the last batch off to Goodwill. I'm not really complaining, but anyone got any nice suits with a 34" waist? :)

I hope you are all having good luck in your gardens this year.
Marty

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »
Marty:

Congratulations on your weight loss and your
other health benefits.

How's your son doing?

*secret handshake*

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 07:45:21 AM »
What wonderful news you've shared!!!!

You've given yourself and your loved ones a wonderful gift of good health.  Fewer doctor visits, no meds, fewer aches and pains as you get older.....
money can't buy that!  Kudos on your success!!!!

I remember how my Grandma used to make various foods.  She would have loved a food processor and many of the other inventions common now.  Freezers were very small as were refrigerators compared to today, so most foods had to be bought fresh and local with farmer's markets popping up along the roads during the season.  The fish market, butcher, bakery, green grocer all had fresh food or they didn't stay in business.  To save money, people would purchase food near closing time, buying whatever was leftover at a much cheaper price than those morning or early afternoon shoppers.  This made the cook very inventive!  Glad we are getting back to that....even our supermarkets are now advertising local sources of produce.  Grandma didn't have much in the way of a pantry either.  Most items for a pantry were jarred or in cans as I remember and these were only for "emergency use".  There was a small supply of fermented foods.  I'm a city gal, so perhaps the experiences were a bit different than someone raised in a rural area.  I actually inherited her pastry board and long tapered rolling pin!  She made her own noodles from eggs, and flour.  I sure miss that!  You brought back many memories for me.

Also, your weight will stabilize at the proper level according to your height. bone structure, etc.  You may be close to that now.
Congrats on your weight loss, new found health and skills at cooking.

Barbara

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
Congratulations Marty!  That is a fantastic success story!   Bet you're enjoying shopping for those clothes... even though it's expensive to replace a wardrobe.

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks all,
my son is doing fine, but we gotta try to experiment with different foods to see what works for him.
Oh yeah, clothes are expensive. Well, if you have to buy them every 6 months. We need to start a clothing swap as we temporarily phase through sizes.

Barbara,
I've always been into antiques so I have a lot of the older glass fridge containers from the 40's and 50's and retro blenders etc. This lifestyle suits me just fine.

I've learned a lot from this and other forums, so thanks to so many of you who post, not knowing if anyone is paying attention. I am.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 05:30:07 AM »
Marty -  just saw this and had to think of you.  This clothing line will replace your clothes for free if your size changes:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/universal-standard-new-clothes_us_591a9fdbe4b0809be157a35f

martygras

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
Marty -  just saw this and had to think of you.  This clothing line will replace your clothes for free if your size changes:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/universal-standard-new-clothes_us_591a9fdbe4b0809be157a35f

Thanks Rita,
I laughed because
A: I'm a guy, so the dresses would look terrible on me. :)
B: It's a nice idea, but seems unsustainable for a company.

I bet we could get it delivered by drone though.

Maybe we could have a monthly clothing swap meet. Some of my business slacks only got to be worn about 10-20 times before they were too big.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »

Sponsored Links